DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I dont know if I like this DHC...Wheres the passion?!?

Lemme see who they hire first. Vrabel can bring in a good OC. I think Henry cemented his role for next year. My only concern is whether the new OC will be open to working Henry into the passing game or not. 

Titans GM and Vrabel are adding good pieces. Let's see which direction they go on this hire.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1

(Per Warren Sharp)

New GB HC Matt LeFleur ran the ball on early downs in Tennessee > MORE often & > LESS successfully than Mike Mularkey did in EACH SEASON of the "Exotic Smashmouth" offense 2018: 56% run, 44% success 2017: 51% run, 45% success 2016: 54% run, 52% success

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BMcP said:

I have to hand it to you, DHC: you have developed a much-more even-keel attitude towards your guy over this past year.  It’s a pleasure!

On the other hand, predictions of football immortality for DH are more entertaining to read. It's a double edged sword.

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

On the other hand, predictions of football immortality for DH are more entertaining to read. It's a double edged sword.

Agreed - I’m still on the fence here, come to think of it.

I am sad to see LaFleur go - I was afraid this would happen once they chose to go with him as an OC, rather than a HC.  It would’ve been fun to see what the Titans could do with a year to get comfortable in his system.  Now, once again, we are back to the drawing board.

18 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lemme see who they hire first. Vrabel can bring in a good OC. I think Henry cemented his role for next year. My only concern is whether the new OC will be open to working Henry into the passing game or not. 

Titans GM and Vrabel are adding good pieces. Let's see which direction they go on this hire.

More likely their QB coach O'Hara takes over. I doubt they bring a new offense

Lock for top-5 RB status next season. Pass at your own peril. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, Gohawks said:

I rather have Carson every day of the week. His team has actually demonstrated the ability to consistently commit to the run. I don't see Henry as a better talent and when you start thinking about if you would rather trust Wilson or Mariota and Carroll or Vrabel it becomes obvious who the pick is. 

carson might not even be the starter next year in seattle. hell, he might not even BE in seattle.....hhhhahaha  its pete carroll we are talking about. for awhile there i was wondering if pete carroll was even going to be in seattle next year hahahahahahaha.....watch out for penny next year in seattle.....as far as henry goes, a rb1 no doubt in my mind. expert concensus as well. eisenberg, tagilere, several of the fantasy pros staff??? i'm good with their opinion over yours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

carson might not even be the starter next year in seattle. hell, he might not even BE in seattle.....hhhhahaha  its pete carroll we are talking about. for awhile there i was wondering if pete carroll was even going to be in seattle next year hahahahahahaha.....watch out for penny next year in seattle.....as far as henry goes, a rb1 no doubt in my mind. expert concensus as well. eisenberg, tagilere, several of the fantasy pros staff??? i'm good with their opinion over yours.

I’m beginning to understand why you aren’t an NFL scout.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I watch quite a bit of game film over the course of the season.  I watched a lot of DH and what I saw was a "fall at first contact" power runner that looked good catching passes but wasn't thrown the ball much.  As a holder of DH in dynasty, it was maddening frustrating to watch him fall at first contact every time.  However, there's one rule a DH owner should always remember that's "Derrick in December".   It's cold, defenses are sore and tired end of the season.  They don't want to tackle a tank like Henry, who for some reason decides it's time to be a bully.  It's December?   Start Derrick Henry.  Hopefully they get him more involved in the passing game early next season.  Still holding for RB1...

Edited by ethospar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ethospar said:

I watch quite a bit of game film over the course of the season.  I watched a lot of DH and what I saw was a "fall at first contact" power runner that looked good catching passes but wasn't thrown the ball much.  As a holder of DH in dynasty, it was maddening frustrating to watch him fall at first contact every time.  However, there's one rule a DH owner should always remember that's "Derrick in December".   It's cold, defenses are sore and tired end of the season.  They don't want to tackle a tank like Henry, who for some reason decides it's time to be a bully.  It's December?   Start Derrick Henry.  Hopefully they get him more involved in the passing game early next season.  Still holding for RB1...

Let’s pay close attention to who the new OC is.  I think what you wrote is true.

17 hours ago, BMcP said:

I’m beginning to understand why you aren’t an NFL scout.

well thats for sure i'm not. never gonna lie to ya, but.....i could have a future.?? the raiders like mike mayock

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

well thats for sure i'm not. never gonna lie to ya, but.....i could have a future.?? the raiders like mike mayock

I think you would fit right in with the Raiders

• Haha 2

So they promoted TE coach “Arthur Smith” to OC.  I have absolutely no clue what that means for Henry in 2019.  Can anyone help?!

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

So they promoted TE coach “Arthur Smith” to OC.  I have absolutely no clue what that means for Henry in 2019.  Can anyone  entailed since he’s been here, you’d realize his football IQ is through the roof. People talk about the great Sean Mcvay. You know what Mcvay was before he was an OC? A TE coach for 2 yrs. Before that? Assistant TE coach for a year. And before that he was a quality control/Wr coach for college for a few years. Pretty “eh “ resume if you ask me. Josh mcdaniels another guy who was a qb coach and a defensive and personal assistant 

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-te-delanie-walker-fired-up-about-arthur-smith-getting-oc-job

Seeems like the players are fired up. One positive thing the Titans had the last 5 years is good TE production and Arthur gets alot of credit molding Walker throughout his years here. He also made bunch of off the street TEs productive. As far as running game goes, it was said in the radio today here in Nashville that Arthur plans to design a power scheme mixed in with LaFleur run scheme this year. All positives for Henry

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:07 PM, cashvillesent said:

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-te-delanie-walker-fired-up-about-arthur-smith-getting-oc-job

Seeems like the players are fired up. One positive thing the Titans had the last 5 years is good TE production and Arthur gets alot of credit molding Walker throughout his years here. He also made bunch of off the street TEs productive. As far as running game goes, it was said in the radio today here in Nashville that Arthur plans to design a power scheme mixed in with LaFleur run scheme this year. All positives for Henry

Can we trust mariota to say healthy and punish defenses with his arm if they stack the the box or sell out to stop the run?

The terrible passing game simply kills this teams abolity to score points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Can we trust mariota to say healthy and punish defenses with his arm if they stack the the box or sell out to stop the run?

I think they need a competent backup. When Mariota is healthy he has been kind d of dangerous but he can't hardly stay on the field. Need someone way better than Gabbert to back him up. This is a make or break year for Mariota.

Promoting Arthur Smith to OC seems to be about as good for Derrick Henry as it could have been. Art has been with Tennessee since Henry was drafted and through many coaching staff changes he was always retained.  This bodes well for Henry in that coach Smith should be very familiar with what works for him and what doesnt. 

Hope Tennessee drafts more and more Olinemen.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dashoe said:

I believe their a defensive player away from being elite. If they can hit on another player like Landry last they did last year, than look out.

Edited by cashvillesent

22 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I think they need a competent backup. When Mariota is healthy he has been kind d of dangerous but he can't hardly stay on the field. Need someone way better than Gabbert to back him up. This is a make or break year for Mariota.

Promoting Arthur Smith to OC seems to be about as good for Derrick Henry as it could have been. Art has been with Tennessee since Henry was drafted and through many coaching staff changes he was always retained.  This bodes well for Henry in that coach Smith should be very familiar with what works for him and what doesnt. 

They invested alot of picks/$ on o-line. Spain needs to be waived. They need an earlier pick on a G

On 1/24/2019 at 9:00 AM, thebadferret said:

How are the chances the Titans will turn into a run first + defense team?

Chances are pretty good.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:44 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

It may be an unpopular opinion taking a QB in the second wouldn't be a bad idea. Grier if they get very lucky otherwise they can take a guy like Thorson.

There's a lot of potential on this team and Mariota isn't the answer. The two QBs above both have a ton of potential and can challenge Mariota or at worst serve as adequate replacements for when he unsurprisingly gets hurt. You also aren't wasting a first round pick meaning there will be less pressure and controversy or what have you. Either way, they need to explore some other options outside of Mariota. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, Boudewijn said:

Mainly he needs to remember to keep running like Eddie George told him. If he gets lazy again, you are going to be toast again.

This is true. Is he going to run like D. Henry at the end of last season or Trent Richardson?

As for his receptions - I would really like the team to set up some screens for him or the odd dump-off pass but I think a lot of that is on the QB.  They just don't seem to want to pass to Henry even though he does well once he is in space with the ball.

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

This is true. Is he going to run like D. Henry at the end of last season or Trent Richardson?

As for his receptions - I would really like the team to set up some screens for him or the odd dump-off pass but I think a lot of that is on the QB.  They just don't seem to want to pass to Henry even though he does well once he is in space with the ball.

It is a contract year for Henry so let's hope he runs like a man trying to get paid big buck$$$$$