DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

:lol: yep, it's just that easy. *the above quoted statement seems similar to:

imagesYZ50115Q.jpg

Do you really think it's hard to catch a screen or a 5 yard toss?

Henry isn't streaking for a 50 yard one handed td grab

Rodger has spoken - time to pencil Henry in for a 6.0-ypc season.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Rodger has spoken - time to pencil Henry in for a 6.0-ypc season.

What I found interesting about that article is that Henry only had 200 less rushing yards and 5 less TDs than Todd Gurley last year despite splitting time with Dion Lewis and his OLine being decimated the first half of last year

Also interesting to hear that Henry was 2nd in the NFL in yards after contact and was tied for #1 in the NFL in missed tackles forced.

All that combined with the stat that helps support my narrative, Henry only had.071 rushing yards before contact meaning he was getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage more often than not. Hopefully a healthy and upgraded OLine will help Henrys stats even more than last year

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

That stat was actually 0.72 yards before contact - but yes, if there’s one thing I’ve never argued about Henry, it’s his ability to shed would-be tacklers.  The line upgrades will undoubtedly help his average ypc.

15 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Do you really think it's hard to catch a screen or a 5 yard toss?

As a guy who caught passes in college while on scholarship, no, catching a screen pass is not difficult (but that's after a ton of repetitions running the entire route tree.) Regarding the general populace completing this "screen pass" process easily, not so much. Not everyone has an inherent ability to simply "catch" a football (vision/hands/balance/reflexes), let alone, complete the process live action vs 11 defenders.

BUT I was responding to your statement below (which creates even more separation from reality than above), as your statement below did not distinguish a screen from a fade, or a comeback, or a slant, or a drag, or an out, or a curl, or a fly, or a post, or a dig, or a wheel route, etc...

15 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

It's really not hard to catch a football lol, it's just bracing for the impact afterwards or contested catches.

You've got to not only "catch" the football once it's delivered (hopefully using proper technique from countless hours spent at the jug machine), but prior to actually engaging with the football, you've had to process the initial play call, then react without hesitation to any changes in the play call at the line of scrimmage, next you've got to process the defense in front of you for any changes to be made in your release/route/break/timing, then you've got to fight throughout the route, gain your "spot" AND then you may attempt to catch the ball vs any possible contact (all the while having a mental image of where defenders are for initial contact and your RAC.)

PLUS we are referring to catching passes from the strongest quarterbacking arms on the planet. From my experience, the change from HS arms to college was immense, and the increase in arm strength from college to the NFL has to be just as great, correct?

The broad brush/simplistic statement of: "It's really not hard to catch a football lol, it's just bracing for the impact afterwards or contested catches," should either be made with the disclaimer that you have personal experience/evidence of this in action at the level to which you are referring, or you are merely arm chair quarterbacking.

If catching a pass were easy, no one (especially in the NFL) would be struggling to complete the process, correct?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

As a guy who caught passes in college while on scholarship, no, catching a screen pass is not difficult (but that's after a ton of repetitions running the entire route tree.) Regarding the general populace completing this "screen pass" process easily, not so much. Not everyone has an inherent ability to simply "catch" a football (vision/hands/balance/reflexes), let alone, complete the process live action vs 11 defenders.

BUT I was responding to your statement below (which creates even more separation from reality than above), as your statement below did not distinguish a screen from a fade, or a comeback, or a slant, or a drag, or an out, or a curl, or a fly, or a post, or a dig, or a wheel route, etc...

You've got to not only "catch" the football once it's delivered (hopefully using proper technique from countless hours spent at the jug machine), but prior to actually engaging with the football, you've had to process the initial play call, then react without hesitation to any changes in the play call at the line of scrimmage, next you've got to process the defense in front of you for any changes to be made in your release/route/break/timing, then you've got to fight throughout the route, gain your "spot" AND then you may attempt to catch the ball vs any possible contact (all the while having a mental image of where defenders are for initial contact and your RAC.)

PLUS we are referring to catching passes from the strongest quarterbacking arms on the planet. From my experience, the change from HS arms to college was immense, and the increase in arm strength from college to the NFL has to be just as great, correct?

The broad brush/simplistic statement of: "It's really not hard to catch a football lol, it's just bracing for the impact afterwards or contested catches," should either be made with the disclaimer that you have personal experience/evidence of this in action at the level to which you are referring, or you are merely arm chair quarterbacking.

If catching a pass were easy, no one (especially in the NFL) would be struggling to complete the process, correct?

You built a straw man worthy of the burning man festival. 

Just give him some dump offs 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

You built a straw man worthy of the burning man festival. 

Just give him some dump offs 

Naw, I'm just pointing out that until otherwise informed, your personal opinion on catching passes, is not based on fact, but instead, based on speculation, and/or subjectivity. There's a big difference in actually playing the game and understanding the nuances, as opposed to watching the game and making conclusions on what it takes to play :shrug:

Your original statement (which I responded to with the Tyson quote), didn't include the screen pass/dump off, and was quite generic in it's breakdown of the complexity involved in catching passes: "It's really not hard to catch a football lol, it's just bracing for the impact afterwards or contested catches." If it were really that easy, there wouldn't be any NFL players struggling to complete the process.

Not the end of the world, bhawks...just simply pointing it out :ph34r: and with the use of a funny (and relative) Tyson quote. *think: all men believing they can fight (catch NFL passes) until they get punched in the mouth (completely whiff on a 50+ mph pass right through their hands on a comeback pattern).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Naw, I'm just pointing out that until otherwise informed, your personal opinion on catching passes, is not based on fact, but instead, based on speculation, and/or subjectivity. There's a big difference in actually playing the game and understanding the nuances, as opposed to watching the game and making conclusions on what it takes to play :shrug:

Your original statement (which I responded to with the Tyson quote), didn't include the screen pass/dump off, and was quite generic in it's breakdown of the complexity involved in catching passes: "It's really not hard to catch a football lol, it's just bracing for the impact afterwards or contested catches." If it were really that easy, there wouldn't be any NFL players struggling to complete the process.

Not the end of the world, bhawks...just simply pointing it out :ph34r: and with the use of a funny (and relative) Tyson quote. *think: all men believing they can fight (catch NFL passes) until they get punched in the mouth (completely whiff on a 50+ mph pass right through their hands on a comeback pattern).

sweet gatekeeping

• Haha 1

Wow, interesting stuff.

Fortunately Ive seen Henry catch passes so I know that he can do most of what you mentioned.

What he struggles with most is catching passes thrown at his feet but I put that more on Mariota and Gabbert than I do Henry.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

What he struggles with most is catching passes thrown at his feet but I put that more on Mariota and Gabbert than I do Henry.

mariota and gabbert? clearly, henry needs to put his hands where his feet are, or simply start catching passes with his feet.

the other option, the tannehill, might necessitate henry expanding his catch radius by a full yard, growing a third hand, or both. that's on henry.

As a guy who caught passes in college while on scholarship

😋

25464559_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

…"scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon."

:D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

From TitansOnline.com, the source of this RotoUpdate (https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-plan-to-ride-rb-derrick-henry-from-the-start-in-2019)

“He proved that he can step in there and carry the load, and we’ll try to put that right back on him,” Titans General Manager Jon Robinson said of Henry at the NFL owners meetings. “We’ll certainly be mindful of the carries that he’s getting and the touches that he’s getting.

“But all those running backs and receivers, skill players, the more they can get the ball the more they like it.”

OK, so the GM is on board.

“I loved it. I loved it,” Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk said of Henry's success. “Nobody works harder than Derrick, and he just proved what we all knew he had. I am excited to see what he does this year. I know it is going to be a good year for him.”

And the owner.

“I think that is where the whole plan would like to start,” Vrabel said. “If Derrick can do what he did at the end of the year at the start this year, he’s certainly going to get a lot more opportunities.

“We’re going to have to be able to use Dion and whoever else we have on the roster to complement (Derrick) in different aspects. There’s things that we can do to continue to let Derrick improve and getting the ball to him. He caught it well when we threw it to him, when he had opportunities to catch it on the move and gain some yards. So we know what his skill sets are and we just have to try to combine his efforts with what we are trying to do to get him the ball.”

And the HC says that they need to throw to him more.  (Emphasis mine)

CHOO CHOO MUFUGGAS

@DerrickHenrysCleats  

spacer.png

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 3

I swear I remember this "happening" last summer as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

From TitansOnline.com, the source of this RotoUpdate (https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-plan-to-ride-rb-derrick-henry-from-the-start-in-2019)

OK, so the GM is on board.

And the owner.

And the HC says that they need to throw to him more.  (Emphasis mine)

CHOO CHOO MUFUGGAS

@DerrickHenrysCleats  

spacer.png

It's gonna be a fun year.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:49 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

…"scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon."

:D

Mine was two td's in the first ever night game in my HS's history, still refer to it as my Al Bundy moment.

Speaking this week, Titans coach Mike Vrabel said he would like to build the offense around Derrick Henry.

"I think that is where the whole plan would like to start," Vrabel said. "If Derrick can do what he did at the end of the year at the start this year, he’s certainly going to get a lot more opportunities." What Henry "did at the end of the year" was put the Titans' offense on his back and operate as one of the best running backs in all of football. Henry has always had freakish ability but found himself in committees because of his lack of threat as a pass catcher. It appears he has finally done enough as a rusher to earn true work-horse treatment. The 25-year-old will begin 2019 on the RB1/2 borderline.

Nice to hear Vrabel state this out loud so there is no doubt in people's minds going into 2019. Henry is going to be a true workhorse this year.  Certainly sounds like they want to get him incorporated into the passing game so he comes off the field less. This is what I've been waiting for so it's time to see it on the field.

- Tennessee upgraded the OLine considerably by adding Saffold to Lewan and Conklin at the tackles. They are gonna give Henry room to build up speed.

- Henry forced more missed tackles than all but 1 other RB last year and did it while gaining only a paltry 0.72 ypc before contact, meaning his OLine was allowing him to get hit at or behind the line  of scrimmage A LOT. If healthy the OLine should be a considerable upgrade.

- Vrabel just said he wants to build the offense around Henry. That sounds like a true workhorse role. 280 carries and 32 receptions sounds attainable, if not more.

- owner, GM, and coach all finally seem to be on the same page that to be successful they need to commit to Henry

I'll go ahead and say Henry can reach 1,300 rushing yards if he gets 280 carries based on his career 4.6 ypc and 32 receptions for 300 yards. So based just on Henrys career averages to date I will guess he will have 1,600 total yards. TDs can fluctuate but I think he will have double digits rushing TDs and 2 or 3 receiving TDs.

So basically I'll say 1,600 total yards with 14 TDs.

Actually room for more rushing yards than that, I just extrapolated his career avg numbers out to reach those numbers. If his OLine blocks better he could rush for much more than that and as far as his rushing attempts go, nobody in the NFL at RB is built to sustain more carries per season than Derrick Henry so his ceiling is pretty dang high. 

2 hours ago, devaster said:

There is evidence to believe it is different this year.  Upgrading OL (I don't think they're done), and coaches, coordinators, GM, owner, all coming out and confirming our thoughts - that they finally want to commit to him. The spectre of Lewis always hung over him last year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 5:37 PM, devaster said:

Exactly.

So are we just extrapolating career ypc numbers accumulated mainly in a back-up capacity to calculate his total yardage as a primary ball-carrier over the course of a full season now?  What?

Edited by BMcP

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Exactly.

So are we just extrapolating career ypc numbers accumulated mainly in a back-up capacity to calculate his total yardage as a primary ball-carrier over the course of a full season now?  What?

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BMcP said:

Exactly.

He wasn't in a backup role second half of last season when the OLine and QB got healthy. First half of the season was riddled with injury and uncertain useage 

I admit extrapolating out his numbers as mostly a backup could be misleading.

He will probably do much better than that now that he won't be getting hit in the backfield as often.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He wasn't in a backup role second half of last season when the OLine and QB got healthy. First half of the season was riddled with injury and uncertain useage 

I admit extrapolating out his numbers as mostly a backup could be misleading.

He will probably do much better than that now that he won't be getting hit in the backfield as often.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, he wasn’t really a back-up in the first half of last season either.  He and Lewis essentially split carries evenly.

But I do appreciate your response - and I do agree with your points.

Where are we ranking derrick henry on the list of fantasy RBS? I've seen him as low as 22 on alot of lists. No higher than 15 on the best. I just cant imagine that if the titans actually commit to him that he finishes outside of the top 15. Double digit touch downs, big play guy, durable. I just feel like he has to be a better pick than guys like dalvin cook or freeman. Or am I wrong?

16 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Where are we ranking derrick henry on the list of fantasy RBS? I've seen him as low as 22 on alot of lists. No higher than 15 on the best. I just cant imagine that if the titans actually commit to him that he finishes outside of the top 15. Double digit touch downs, big play guy, durable. I just feel like he has to be a better pick than guys like dalvin cook or freeman. Or am I wrong?

Too early to rank em, I think, until we see what teams do in the draft. 

For now I've got Henry around Mixon, DJ, and Cook, as a high end RB2 / low end RB1.  I'm way higher than most, for the record.  I figure those guys have a few hundred more receiving yards, but Henry significantly more rushing volume, YPC, and TDs.

I'm seeing Henry go down further after Kerryon Johnson and Marlon Mack in best balls, into the 3rd round of 10-man drafts.  I think Freeman is going around the same territory but I'm not paying attention to him as much.  I already have an open bet that Henry outscores Freeman next year.