joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. He's healthy, they have the buy to tighten up some things and hopefully get Glenn and AJ back. He's never gonna offer his ADP value but it's not out of the question for him to be a RB2 ROS.

• Like 1

Just now, bomont said:

Like Mixon had much value anyway

But they may get him more involved now, maybe scheme up more plays for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

But they may get him more involved now, maybe scheme up more plays for him.

Exactly. They will have to get him involved unless they are going to let him gun-sling, which I doubt.

60% increase in production absolutely guaranteed with this news.

He's gonna be turning those -5 yard runs into -2 yard runs in no time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is a desperation play by the coaching staff. Expect the offense to be even more vanilla and teams play the run even more because they don’t respect the pass. 

Just now, fjthegrey said:

60% increase in production absolutely guaranteed with this news.

He's gonna be turning those -5 yard runs into -2 yard runs in no time.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Not sure how an unproven rookie makes Mixon more valuable, but Godspeed. The Bengals are just a dumpster fire this year. I wonder if AJ even comes back at this point. That will likely help Mixon much more than a QB change.

Instead of 2 yards in 20 carries, we might be looking at 2 yards in 15 now. 

Sky's the limit after that. 

• Haha 1

I mean it can't get much worse than it already was for Mixon so maybe this will end up being a good thing. Lots of bad/inexperienced QBs love checking down to RBs so maybe this will get him more involved in the passing game.

Edited by BearDownBears

It seems that when Dalton was playing they would air it out non stop. With a rookie I think they change the game plan with more running, check downs and short yardage passes. 

Nothing can hurt Mixons value, it is already too low so I have to look at this with optimism. 

Edited by iretirefromfantasy
  • Like 3

Change at quarterback doesn't improve that line.  I'll admit, I don't watch a lot of the Bengals when they are on, but that Oline is swiss cheese everytime I watch. Mixon is getting hit in the backfield just as he gets the ball. A more vanilla playbook with a rookie signal caller doesn't improve the Oline.  These guys have nothing to play for anymore sitting at 0-8, I wouldn't expect things to get much better for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SGagne said:

Change at quarterback doesn't improve that line.  I'll admit, I don't watch a lot of the Bengals when they are on, but that Oline is swiss cheese everytime I watch. Mixon is getting hit in the backfield just as he gets the ball. A more vanilla playbook with a rookie signal caller doesn't improve the Oline.  These guys have nothing to play for anymore sitting at 0-8, I wouldn't expect things to get much better for the rest of the year.

I think the change may get him more involved in the passing game though. Screens galore.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SGagne said:

The presence of AJ Green on the outside opens up space underneath for Mixon both in running and dumpoffs

2 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

The presence of AJ Green on the outside opens up space underneath for Mixon both in running and dumpoffs

Bengals are the 5th worst team at allowing sacks. Ranked dead last for rushing YPG and currently ranked dead last for NFL Offensive line rankings.  Sure AJ is good, if he's healthy, but if your O-line can't stop anyone, nothing will change. 

Sources:

NFL Sacks per game: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game
NFL Rushing Stats: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing
NFL Offensive line ranking: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. 

Honestly none of us knows if a change of QB hurts or helps Joe Mixon. Godspeed. 

Just now, SGagne said:

Bengals are the 5th worst team at allowing sacks. Ranked dead last for rushing YPG and currently ranked dead last for NFL Offensive line rankings.  Sure AJ is good, if he's healthy, but if your O-line can't stop anyone, nothing will change. 

Sources:

NFL Sacks per game: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game
NFL Rushing Stats: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing
NFL Offensive line ranking: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Having AJ back has to help. How much? No clue. 

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It can't possibly be any worse.  At this point any changes made have to be considered a positive.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I know it hurts Mixon more, now instead of running against the fewest stacked boxes he will be up against all stacked boxes. You gotta make the QB beat you through the air. I doubt AJ joins the dumpster fire and let’s the new QB get him laid out.

here comes Mixon 13/2/0 probably going to get more negative runs than we’ve ever seen.

30 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I know it hurts Mixon more, now instead of running against the fewest stacked boxes he will be up against all stacked boxes. You gotta make the QB beat you through the air. I doubt AJ joins the dumpster fire and let’s the new QB get him laid out.

here comes Mixon 13/2/0 probably going to get more negative runs than we’ve ever seen.

ok Mr. I know. Patiently waited for week 10 

58 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

ok Mr. I know. Patiently waited for week 10 

No I’ve been in here stating what a POS Mixon is off the field and how crappy he is at football. Go look. Mixon fewest 8 man boxes against. And you think some QB with no experience is going to give him more space to work? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Krambone said:

No I’ve been in here stating what a POS Mixon is off the field and how crappy he is at football. Go look. Mixon fewest 8 man boxes against. And you think some QB with no experience is going to give him more space to work? 

d3d1d400c42f8aa5770b55ee158b3620

My newest acquisition! I didn't want him, but apparently he's my soulmate. Someone dropped him, like he drops footballs, and I was there to scoop him up like the fool I am! 😂

leo-cheers.gif

Edited by FitzMagic

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

If Mixon was crappy at football he wouldnt have been good last season. Not his fault his O-line is terrible.