Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

7 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

It's not fantasy football. Whens the last time something like that has happened?

It’s getting there...Cleveland signed Hyde then traded him away a few months later.

15 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

The AB situation is not going to be like the LeVeon one.  For 2019, AB will be the highest paid WR in the NFL (22M+).  He's also igoing to be 31, and this guy has an ego (i.e. cares about stats and being considered one of the all-time greats).  I highly doubt that he's not going to forfeit this huge sum of money and waste one of his waning peak years.  Either PIT finds a suitable trade partner (SF still makes a lot of sense both due to their cap space and high pick in rd #2, plus another later picks or 2020 pick) or AB is back and playing for the Steelers in 2019.  AB is definitely making some questionable decisions lately but forgoing this kind of money would be another whole level crazy....

Almost exactly the reasoning that Le'Veon Bell truthers used last year when they argued that Bell would eventually sign his tag and play.  How did that work out again?

16 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

The AB situation is not going to be like the LeVeon one.  For 2019, AB will be the highest paid WR in the NFL (22M+).  He's also igoing to be 31, and this guy has an ego (i.e. cares about stats and being considered one of the all-time greats).  I highly doubt that he's not going to forfeit this huge sum of money and waste one of his waning peak years.  Either PIT finds a suitable trade partner (SF still makes a lot of sense both due to their cap space and high pick in rd #2, plus another later picks or 2020 pick) or AB is back and playing for the Steelers in 2019.  AB is definitely making some questionable decisions lately but forgoing this kind of money would be another whole level crazy....

I do not think I saw AB at the top of the 2019 WR $ list.

Spotrac has him 4th in 2019 total cash.   Obviously there's other ways to look at it. (Fun with Spotrac: Check out #15)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/wide-receiver/

Any UFA's that get a large signing bonus will leapfrog him.   There's also a ton of top WR's slated to hit free agency in 2020, and could get extensions now:  AJ Green, Cooper, Tyreek, and Michael Thomas stand out.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Spotrac has him 4th in 2019 total cash.   Obviously there's other ways to look at it. (Fun with Spotrac: Check out #15)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/wide-receiver/

Any UFA's that get a large signing bonus will leapfrog him.   There's also a ton of top WR's slated to hit free agency in 2020, and could get extensions now:  AJ Green, Cooper, Tyreek, and Michael Thomas stand out.  

Quality post.  Do you know what?  I believe Bell is going to want to be the NFL's highest paid WR.  Interesting...

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Almost exactly the reasoning that Le'Veon Bell truthers used last year when they argued that Bell would eventually sign his tag and play.  How did that work out again?

It is a completely different situation. Bell risked missing out on $12mil or something to skip the entire season and re-enter FA the next season. AB is under contract for 3 more seasons. Skipping does absolutely nothing and gets him no closer to FA.

I was definitely skeptical that Bell would forgo the franchise tag money.

• Like 1

At least he’s showing respect to someone!  Progress!

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The general consensus is that Bell played his situation poorly and almost certainly left money on the table.  The Steelers didn't give him an inch and they're still threatening to use the transition tag on him.  Meanwhile he gave up $15 million he can't get back, and probably still won't get the megadeal he wanted after Conner stepped up and did a pretty good Bell impression for way less money.

Brown is in an even worse position given that he's under contract for the next few years and can't hold out without facing fines.  If the Steelers don't get the kind of compensation they're looking for from trade partners, Brown's options are to play out his contract or pay the Steelers millions of dollars in fines for years until the contract runs out.  After the inflexibility they've already shown with Bell, I don't think the Steelers will just release AB and let him sign with the Browns or whatever.  They'll just squeeze him until he's 34 and nobody wants him.

• Thanks 1

Fines would be the least of his problems in that scenario.

• Like 1

Now Brown is "liking" comments in other social media about Roethlisberger "r**ing college girls."

But he's willing to meet with Mr. Rooney.  This cat has gone off the deep end.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, psygolf said:

It’s getting there...Cleveland signed Hyde then traded him away a few months later.

Only because Chubb fell to them in the 2nd round less than 2 months after they signed Hyde.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Only because Chubb fell to them in the 2nd round less than 2 months after they signed Hyde.

? “Fell to them in the 2nd”

...Did they think he was Bradley Chubb-?

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Antonio Brown's critical tweets of Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger have scared off at least one team.

Brown tweeted Roethlisberger has an "owner mentality" and called out Tomlin for telling the team Brown quit on them during Week 17. King writes the tweets put off at least one team, and he believes they also scared off others. If they are worried about anything, teams should really be more concerned about Brown's recent run of off-field issues. That said, neither those incidents nor the tweets will prevent teams from lining up to acquire one of the best receivers in the league.

‎Feb‎ ‎18‎, ‎2019‎ ‎6‎:‎39‎ ‎AM

Gee, you think?  He already has a diva reputation and his latest actions just validate that.  Sure, he'll get a job because some desperate team will want to acquire him for his play and don't really care about locker room dynamics.  It will be interesting to see if he is just as effective with a rookie or mediocre QB and to see how much of his success was tied to Ben.

7 minutes ago, CooL said:

Gee, you think?  He already has a diva reputation and his latest actions just validate that.  Sure, he'll get a job because some desperate team will want to acquire him for his play and don't really care about locker room dynamics.  It will be interesting to see if he is just as effective with a rookie or mediocre QB and to see how much of his success was tied to Ben.

Ben and Tomlin were deserving of the criticism. Not sure who this one team is, but I doubt it will ultimately matter. There will be a line of teams willing to trade for AB. I'm not convinced the Steelers trade him.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Perhaps not surprisingly, since Rotoworld is a fantasy football website, the blurbwriters are focused on a player's stats to determine his value.  They fail to consider the team dynamic.  I recall Rotoworld being similarly flummoxed when T.O. could no longer find an NFL job, even though he was still capable of putting up big numbers for a team willing to bring him in and give him the target % of a no. 1 receiver.  I predict the trade market for AB is going to be absolutely as cold as ice.

Pitt should just cut him and move on. This whole situation is one giant distraction for the organization. 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, The 7th Beatles said:

Every single time I see or hear "Rooney" I picture this in my head:

OnC3hi.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ferris Bueler's Day Off?  Antonio Brown's walk off...the deep end.

• Like 1

Mr. Big Chest has moved into the Ochocinco phase of his career.  A great talent, someone will tolerate him, but he's started to go mad.  Time's running out.

Why is it that only wide receivers ever turn into real housewives of New Jersey?

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Mr. Big Chest has moved into the Ochocinco phase of his career.  A great talent, someone will tolerate him, but he's started to go mad.  Time's running out.

Why is it that only wide receivers ever turn into real housewives of New Jersey?

I've always wondered that. I really don't get it...It's consistent with that particular position. Makes you appreciate the elite WRs that are not like that, like Nuk.

Is he getting to some point of crazy where you all wont really think about drafting him?   Or is this just a phase that'll be forgotten in 6 months.   Insert caveat here about where he ends up, etc, playing a role in his ADP.   I'm just trying to gauge if this whole circus is going to cause an ADP drop

• Haha 1