Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, West St. Maniacs said:

Just some food for thought. Everyone absorbs information differently. Some may pick up the offense or a particular group of routes faster than others. One route could be AB burning a safety/CB in the 4th quarter for a 60 yard bomb for a TD.

The consensus was that Gordon learned the playbook much quicker than expected, which is why it took only three games for him to become a full-time player. It certainly shouldn’t surprise anyone if AB has similar prodigious talents in learning a brand new playbook after playing in the same system for years. He’s one of the best receivers in football. I still think it would be wrong to assume he could learn the playbook three times as fast as Gordon. I think it’s more likely he plays a limited number of snaps for several weeks. AB only needs one snap to post a fantasy relevant line, but it’s risky until we see him out there on a majority of two-wide plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eg4190 said:

The consensus was that Gordon learned the playbook much quicker than expected, which is why it took only three games for him to become a full-time player. It certainly shouldn’t surprise anyone if AB has similar prodigious talents in learning a brand new playbook after playing in the same system for years. He’s one of the best receivers in football. I still think it would be wrong to assume he could learn the playbook three times as fast as Gordon. I think it’s more likely he plays a limited number of snaps for several weeks. AB only needs one snap to post a fantasy relevant line, but it’s risky until we see him out there on a majority of two-wide plays.

This.  Also consider that AB barely practised with the Raiders during training camp and preseason.  This is kinda similar to a holdout.  Just look at Zeke last week, teams typically are cautious about how heavily they play players like this right out of the gate after a situation like that.  They will have plays for AB, but I don't expect him to play more than 30 snaps.  It's not like Edelman and Josh Gordon are scrubs and the Pats are desperate for AB to play the full game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, West St. Maniacs said:

Just some food for thought. Everyone absorbs information differently. Some may pick up the offense or a particular group of routes faster than others. One route could be AB burning a safety/CB in the 4th quarter for a 60 yard bomb for a TD.

Reports on Thursday seemed to suggest that Brown isn't picking it up fast.

35 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

“The Patriots will play the Dolphins today and wideout Antonio Brown is expected to be on the field, sources say. He practiced every day during the week, is a real part of the game plan and, football-wise, is ready to contribute.

As one source said, they plan to feed him.

To that end, Brown stayed until 10 p.m. or later most days during the week to catch passes from backup quarterback Jarrett Stidham, while he worked on his routes and the playbook. Similar to Josh Gordon's debut last year, the goal will be to get him catches early, get him involved, and get one of the NFL's best receivers some confidence in the scheme.”

Ian Rapoport, NFL.com

Only thing is what if his role this week is diversion?

Good posts 👆 agreed.

the other thing BB mentioned was how little carryover there was from Pitt system to NE.   I don’t get the impression Brown is book smart as much as an incredible instinctual athlete with many years of chemistry built up with Big Ben.  Brady’s not a scrambler or extend the play guy.   Do your job, run your route perfectly so the throw is on time and target.   No one man is bigger or more important than their system.  Belichick also mentioned multiple times that they’ll use brown in whatever way benefits the team needs- no more or less than that.    So against a cupcake like the Dumpster Dolphins....is there going to be enough opportunity for 3 stud WRs to all eat?   Many handoffs would be the logical outcome for a blowout. 

Like others have said-  it only takes one big play for AB to be worth a start—I just don’t feel confident this is the week we start to see that.    GL to other owners starting him.  Pure gut call here. 

Edited by Impreza178

26 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

It might also be wrong to think he needs to know 100% in order to produce. Brown is a much better receiver than Gordon. 

Edit: it may look like in going back and forth but I'm not. I see the merit of both sides. This one is difficult to call. If I had a good replacement I'd go with that but if not I'd roll the dice.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 3

So let's see...

- Brown barely participated in camp due to foot, helmet, and other "Brown like stuff".

- Brown didn't participate in any preseason action.

- Brown was just traded one week ago

- Completely new playbook and system.

- Reports surface about Brown having at least some difficulty picking up said playbook. Judging by the way he communicates, that's not hard to believe.

- Has ample competition for targets in a game that may feature a ton of second half running.

- Pending investigation hanging over his head pertaining to sexual misconduct that the Pats were caught off guard about.

With ALL of this, AB owners are like...."well he's fast, I'm starting him".

-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jordan23 said:

Might be the only chance you get to start him all year

This is honestly my thinking in starting him.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jordan23 said:

Might be the only chance you get to start him all year

Possibly but if you look at the allegations and the recently released instragram videos from the accuser looks pretty frivolous. 

I have been going back and forth on this and I am going to wait and see. He just hasn't been with the pats long enough. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

The consensus was that Gordon learned the playbook much quicker than expected, which is why it took only three games for him to become a full-time player. It certainly shouldn’t surprise anyone if AB has similar prodigious talents in learning a brand new playbook after playing in the same system for years. He’s one of the best receivers in football.

Gordon is a lot more intelligent than Brown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Adam Schefter of ESPN confirms Antonio Brown will play in Week 2 against the Dolphins. (Adam Schefter)

Fantasy Impact:

This was expected after Brown went through the entire week of practice. The All-Pro receiver has reportedly been staying late at New England's facility all week in order to get caught up with the offense. It would be difficult for fantasy owners to sit him versus a helpless Dolphins defense. Fire him up as a boom-bust WR2 this week.

Brendan Tuma, 46 minutes ago

[Posts removed.]

And... we're back.  While the court case and NFL investigation move forward, we expect this thread to remain focused on actionable elements of Brown's fantasy outlook.  These do not include speculation about the facts of what occurred between Brown and his accuser, or anything to do with those events aside from major developments in the legal/investigative proceedings that directly affect AB's availability.  We won't hesitate to lock this thread again if the community can't have this discussion in a civil, fantasy-focused manner.

Message added by tonycpsu

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, molski said:

You draft him you play him 

Flawed logic. I’m terrible at drafting.

• Haha 2

He might go for 3 TDs this week or give you nothing at all. I'd pass on that situation.

Antonio Brown is a WR1 .. so I say don’t overthink a damn thing.. Start him 

• Like 1

This thread is about to blow up.

9 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

if he's active ...

3/56/1

if he's not ...

0/0/0

::popcorn time::

🤔

Anytime Brown had man to man without help Brady threw to him. Could have easily been a second touchdown as well.

Edited by griffin727

3 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

He might be the best fantasy WR going forward. 

Assuming no action from the league, but yes...

5 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

So let's see...

- Brown barely participated in camp due to foot, helmet, and other "Brown like stuff".

- Brown didn't participate in any preseason action.

- Brown was just traded one week ago

- Completely new playbook and system.

- Reports surface about Brown having at least some difficulty picking up said playbook. Judging by the way he communicates, that's not hard to believe.

- Has ample competition for targets in a game that may feature a ton of second half running.

- Pending investigation hanging over his head pertaining to sexual misconduct that the Pats were caught off guard about.

With ALL of this, AB owners are like...."well he's fast, I'm starting him".

-

Yep, gonna keep doing it, too. With barely any practice time and all of the issues you highlighted, he was Brady's #1 red zone target. 4 rec/8 targets/1 TD is a good enough start for me to have faith. If he's on the field, WR1.

• Like 1