Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

14 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

The NFL met with his accuser yesterday, they flew out to her and the meeting lasted 10 hours apparently.

The NFL plans on meeting with Brown to get his side but no date set yet.

What in the world do you talk about for 10 hours?

1 minute ago, ponchsox said:

"Busin on the back" of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Krambone said:

Who are all the clowns saying AB is an all time great, Without even looking at anything I would say he doesn’t even crack top 50. Football has been around 100years and you think this guy is one of the best ever. Why. He’s fast and catches and runs well. He has never been a team first guy or puts winning above his own personal stats. He s a giant step up from Ray Carruth but that’s a low bar.

Do you become an all time great by stats or by being a team guy first? I think it is stats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

That's a long haul for her layers...and civil case because the "beyond a reasonable doubt" would be pretty difficult there.

For a civil case, it's preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt.  Much lower bar.  That's why OJ Simpson won his criminal trial but was found liable in his civil trial.

I think if the NFL feels that she has a strong case, they might take action to protect their brand image.  Would look pretty bad if they did all this due diligence, took no action, and then she won.  They'd have a lot of explaining to do.

Of course, they have to hear AB's side and make a judgment on how strong a defense he has as well.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In any case, it looks like nothing will be done in the short term to AB's playing status.  They'll need time to get AB's side and then assess the situation.  How long did it take for the NFL to investigate the Tyreek situation and clear him?  I imagine it will be similar and AB will be safe to play for that period of time.

18 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

For a civil case, it's preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt.  Much lower bar.  That's why OJ Simpson won his criminal trial but was found liable in his civil trial.

I think if the NFL feels that she has a strong case, they might take action to protect their brand image.  Would look pretty bad if they did all this due diligence, took no action, and then she won.  They'd have a lot of explaining to do.

Of course, they have to hear AB's side and make a judgment on how strong a defense he has as well.

I agree with you...a much lower bar, which is why it's a civil case.  I don't think any reasonable DA would bring a criminal case.

Even with the much lower bar, I think she has a tough road ahead of her.  His lawyers are going to call a busload of people that saw them together as a couple, etc. saying she always came around, they spent a lot of time together, etc.  This ain't no slam dunk for her, and I'd be willing to bet you that her lawyer is getting paid only if she wins...and most likely a third of the winnings.  

I hate to be like that...not being a Dave Chappell-like victim blamer here but....this smells fishy.  This is coming from a Steelers fan who can't stand AB now.

The NFL needs to be very careful...if they suspend and the civil court finds he's not liable and with all the guarantees in his contract tied to performance...that would not look good either.

Edited by Damn Yankee
  • Like 1

Great football player and total loser. I doubt he will miss any time this year or in the foreseeable future. Sorry, Gordon and Edelman owners.

• Like 1

The writer sounds like he has something personal against AB, but....

15 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

I agree with you...a much lower bar, which is why it's a civil case.  I don't think any reasonable DA would bring a criminal case.

Even with the much lower bar, I think she has a tough road ahead of her.  His lawyers are going to call a busload of people that saw them together as a couple, etc. saying she always came around, they spent a lot of time together, etc.  This ain't no slam dunk for her, and I'd be willing to bet you that her lawyer is getting paid only if she wins...and most likely a third of the winnings.  

I hate to be like that...not being a Dave Chappell-like victim blamer here but....this smells fishy.  This is coming from a Steelers fan who can't stand AB now.

The NFL needs to be very careful...if they suspend and the civil court finds he's not liable and with all the guarantees in his contract tied to performance...that would not look good either.

I actually want to reply with more of my thoughts about what is going to happen, but I think the mods warned all of us at the top of this thread not to do this.  (I do agree with most of what you say btw)

As of now, it looks like AB owners are in the same boat with what to do with him.  Just roll him out until the NFL comes down with something, either for or against AB.  Certainly doesn't look like the Pats are going to suspend him like the Chiefs did to Tyreek during his offseason investigation.

The problem for AB's owners is that all off this stuff just kills AB's trade value.  I personally wouldn't give anything more than a WR2 for him, and no AB owner will part with him for less than low-end WR1 value.

33 minutes ago, mortman212 said:

Wow quiet day for Antonio Brown, no news yet for him.  

Man this guy spoke too soon, lots of news now.....

42 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

I'm sure they were grilling her.  Challenging her statements...trying to poke holes...asking her to explain any inconsistencies that they know AB's lawyers would use.  Reviewing her evidence.  All in an effort to assess whether they need to take action.  They'll do the same to AB.

16 minutes ago, mortman212 said:

Man this guy spoke too soon, lots of news now.....

What news? About the discussion and the farting thing? No news at all.

• Like 1

I don't see AB being put on the exempt list. It is going to take criminal charges for that to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh or Oakland wasn't behind all of this. The Steelers know where all AB's skeletons are buried. And Pittsburgh has been acting like the spurned ex.

Edited by devaster

People keep forgetting what happened with Zeke. 

The NFL does not need charges pressed to suspend a player.  If they conduct an investigation and come to the conclusion that the player did wrong, they can suspend based on the player conduct policy.  Goodell is basically an all powerful dictator in this regard.  Zeke appealed multiple times and eventually gave up and served the NFL's suspension, despite never being charged with a crime.

This is what AB is facing.  If the NFL, through their own investigation, believes there was wrongdoing, they will suspend AB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The NFL does not need charges pressed to suspend a player.  If they conduct an investigation and come to the conclusion that the player did wrong, they can suspend based on the player conduct policy.  Goodell is basically an all powerful dictator in this regard.  Zeke appealed multiple times and eventually gave up and served the NFL's suspension, despite never being charged with a crime.

This is what AB is facing.  If the NFL, through their own investigation, believes there was wrongdoing, they will suspend AB.

Yeah, but you're forgetting a big difference....that Kraft and Goodell are BFF's and the Pats are golden in this league....they'll get away with more than Zeke and Jerruh were able to.  :) ..Oh, and Roger apparently has Bobby to thank for the whole Jay-Z partnership too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

True. In Zeke's case they spent 1 year+ investigating didn't they? So selfishly, us AB owners may avoid a suspension if they investigate all year. I'm not sure how AB's situation compares to Zeke's in that sense.

For what it's worth, Zeke's accuser did file police reports and went to the City Attorney's office to pursue charges. 

I wonder if AB settles with Britney Taylor or wins his civil case if that will affect things.

However I understand what you mean, that the NFL can suspend based on its own conclusions. With Zeke they said that the NFL concluded from its investigations that Zeke HAD been violent toward the woman on three separate occasions. I don't know how they determined that or how they will determine anything in AB's case.

Personally I hate to do it because he's fun to own and the upside is huge, but I am going to try to trade AB right now in fear that he might be suspended.

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't see AB being put on the exempt list. It is going to take criminal charges for that to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh or Oakland wasn't behind all of this. The Steelers know where all AB's skeletons are buried. And Pittsburgh has been acting like the spurned ex.

Well, AB never did anything to burn those two organizations. Strange they would be spiteful 😂

[We're getting really close to lock o'clock here if people keep using this thread as a sounding board for their non-fantasy-relevant takes.  Your opinion of AB as a person, the accuser, or other people posting here will not be a topic of discussion here.]

Wasn't it also stated that she refused a settlement? If the NFL confirms this, & the 2nd accuser has a credible accusation as well, I think it's possible Goodell puts AB on the exempt list under the conduct policy.  Obviously both accusers & AB have to be interviewed, as well as any other people mentioned. The amount of details & proof of misconduct given by both accusers is going to determine what happens here, but this is gonna drag out for a while.

Until then, AB is gonna play & play well.  Although it was only MIA, he & Brady have obviously put in extra time to get their timing down in an offense notorious for a steep learning curve. There are only so many targets to go around so the NE WR's might take turns having big games, but they'll all be relevant. The only reliable source of fantasy consistency in NE will be Brady 

31 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

100% correct. The NFL can and will make a move on any suspension based on their own investigation. AB owners should start coming to the reality that he could be suspended for the duration of the season.

• Like 1

If he’s on the exempt list, does his 1 year contract carry over to next year? 

9 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Wasn't it also stated that she refused a settlement? If the NFL confirms this, & the 2nd accuser has a credible accusation as well, I think it's possible Goodell puts AB on the exempt list under the conduct policy.  Obviously both accusers & AB have to be interviewed, as well as any other people mentioned. The amount of details & proof of misconduct given by both accusers is going to determine what happens here, but this is gonna drag out for a while.

Until then, AB is gonna play & play well.  Although it was only MIA, he & Brady have obviously put in extra time to get their timing down in an offense notorious for a steep learning curve. There are only so many targets to go around so the NE WR's might take turns having big games, but they'll all be relevant. The only reliable source of fantasy consistency in NE will be Brady 

No, AB declined to sign the settlement.

• Like 1

I'm starting him again this week.  He should get even more work and if that means more than 8 targets a week, I'm all in.

38 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The league had video tape of Zeke pulling some chicks top up. They had proof.