Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

5 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

It just depends on roster construction, current health of roster, current record, and how risk averse each owner is. 

If you can find an owner who is 0-2 or 1-1 and has lost a key player to injury like Hill or has someone out like Melvin, they might need that depth and cannot afford to wait. 

I always want the best players in deals but I am not so sure it is the best time to make those kind of moves. Being so early, give me depth. I will target the elite players in 2 for 1s later in the season. 

Fair enough.  I just don't think AB is very tradeable because of the big gap between how AB's owner values him (i.e. "he won't be suspended and will be a WR1 all year") vs. how his trading partner would value him (i.e. "the dude can be suspended at any time, I'm not going to give you a lot for him")

Not that I agree, obviously, but NFL precedent seems to be that they won't do anything unless there is a criminal inquiry or video evidence. There appears to be neither in this case.

• Like 2

Owning AB this year should be a privilege, you are part of history!!...No way am I trading him!!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Fair enough.  I just don't think AB is very tradeable because of the big gap between how AB's owner values him (i.e. "he won't be suspended and will be a WR1 all year") vs. how his trading partner would value him (i.e. "the dude can be suspended at any time, I'm not going to give you a lot for him")

If that were true they would not be trying to trade him. Obviously the AB owner trying to trade fears a suspension. I think many AB owner's would be willing to receive a WR2 or RB2 in return. The trading partners are not even willing to give that up. 

26 minutes ago, Starvela said:

Owning AB this year should be a privilege, you are part of history!!...No way am I trading him!!

Owning AB will be a nightmare this year. Not only are owners dealing with past transgressions, owners don't know will a third, fourth, fifth victim will  come forward at any point in time or will AB even be the exemplary teammate for the entire year and not the head case that he has proved to be the last few months.

12 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

If that were true they would not be trying to trade him. Obviously the AB owner trying to trade fears a suspension. I think many AB owner's would be willing to receive a WR2 or RB2 in return. The trading partners are not even willing to give that up. 

I agree with this, but I believe owners are internally acknowledging that it's a big risk but trying to sell AB with the risk being minimal.  In other words, most AB owners are trying to get more back than what they themselves would give up for him.

It's like this....AB owners don't want to "lock in" the loss in value due to the suspension risk by giving him up for a significantly less valuable asset.  They want to get as close as possible to an "AB without suspension risk" value that they can get.  Meanwhile, people who may acquire him want to get fully compensated for this risk.  That's what makes it hard, almost impossible, to trade him.

9 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I agree with this, but I believe owners are internally acknowledging that it's a big risk but trying to sell AB with the risk being minimal.  In other words, most AB owners are trying to get more back than what they themselves would give up for him.

It's like this....AB owners don't want to "lock in" the loss in value due to the suspension risk by giving him up for a significantly less valuable asset.  They want to get as close as possible to an "AB without suspension risk" value that they can get.  Meanwhile, people who may acquire him want to get fully compensated for this risk.  That's what makes it hard, almost impossible, to trade him.

Yes, I agree. Because in the back of every AB owner's mind, he is thinking "what if AB does play the whole season?". So they are already getting seller's remorse. And the buyer is like you said taking the glass half empty approach and wants to take the stance of "well he's going to get suspended" and they don't want to overpay.

That's why I do agree with you that the AB owner has no choice really but to just hold. Unless they can find a Patriots' homer who will give up a top 30 player for him. Or maybe package him in a 2 for 2 deal.

There is also the possibility that he has a monster game this Sunday and an owner could capitalize on the hype and trade him then. Or, maybe if there's no news for a few weeks, one could unload him in week 5 or so after a few solid games and get back a low end RB1 or RB2. 

22 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Owning AB will be a nightmare this year. Not only are owners dealing with past transgressions, owners don't know will a third, fourth, fifth victim will  come forward at any point in time or will AB even be the exemplary teammate for the entire year and not the head case that he has proved to be the last few months.

How is it a nightmare? So far he has played his first eligible game and will continue to do so and perform like a WR1. Wish I was able to nab him at the discounted price.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

How is it a nightmare? So far he has played his first eligible game and will continue to do so and perform like a WR1. Wish I was able to nab him at the discounted price.

It’s a nightmare cause he’s a headcase and you don’t know one day to the next if he’s going to get suspended/retire/ or go off for 30 fantasy points.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Yes, I agree. Because in the back of every AB owner's mind, he is thinking "what if AB does play the whole season?". So they are already getting seller's remorse. And the buyer is like you said taking the glass half empty approach and wants to take the stance of "well he's going to get suspended" and they don't want to overpay.

That's why I do agree with you that the AB owner has no choice really but to just hold. Unless they can find a Patriots' homer who will give up a top 30 player for him. Or maybe package him in a 2 for 2 deal.

There is also the possibility that he has a monster game this Sunday and an owner could capitalize on the hype and trade him then. Or, maybe if there's no news for a few weeks, one could unload him in week 5 or so after a few solid games and get back a low end RB1 or RB2. 

It would certainly make him him more tradeable if he balls out, as people would be more willing to take the suspension risk, but I think most people are looking to see if the NFL gives us an inkling of what they plan to do with him.  If we start hearing news that they are leaning toward no action, you'll see AB's trade market open up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

It’s a nightmare cause he’s a headcase and you don’t know one day to the next if he’s going to get suspended/retire/ or go off for 30 fantasy points.

It's actually been a lot of fun owning him so far. I might add Kareem Hunt to my roster to up the excitement. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

It's actually been a lot of fun owning him so far. I might add Kareem Hunt to my roster to up the excitement. 

I don't even own him and I can see the roller coaster ride.

- He's gonna sit out over his helmet (bad)

- He rejoins the team (good)

- He gets in a fight with the GM (bad)

- He joins the Pats (good)

- Allegations that could lead to suspension (very bad)

- Balls out week 2, scoring a td on limited touches (good)

Now we're in this strange limbo with him where he is playing until further notice and likely going to produce even more than he did week 2, but the rug could be pulled out any minute.

• Like 2

Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't even own him and I can see the roller coaster ride.

- He's gonna sit out over his helmet (bad)

- He rejoins the team (good)

- He gets in a fight with the GM (bad)

- He joins the Pats (good)

- Allegations that could lead to suspension (very bad)

- Balls out week 2, scoring a td on limited touches (good)

Now we're in this strange limbo with him where he is playing until further notice and likely going to produce even more than he did week 2, but the rug could be pulled out any minute.

Yeah, it's great.

And I'm not a Patriots fan but it's also entertaining hearing all of the salty cries from people in my league. Crying about how the Patriots are cheaters, the whole thing was orchestrated, etc.

I called it a week ago that BB might force feed AB because he likes playing the villain and wants you to know he doesn't care what you think.

So that's an added bonus of owning AB: (although I disagree with his scumbag behavior), he has so many haters now that if he performs well all season and comes out a top 5 WR, it will be so gratifying as an owner.

Especially if you win your league and he's a key part of it. You can listen to all of the pathetic cries about how he should have been suspended, blah blah. 

13 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Not a nightmare at all.  Any player "could" retire or get suspended at any time.  If 10 hours of interviewing the "victim" did not result in a suspension, then nothing from this "case" will.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abrunn11 said:

Not a nightmare at all.  Any player "could" retire or get suspended at any time.  If 10 hours of interviewing the "victim" did not result in a suspension, then nothing from this "case" will.  

Disagree.  The NFL wasn't going to make a decision after interviewing the victim without giving AB a chance to give his side.  The earliest we would ever have had a decision is after the NFL interviews both parties.  We may see something after they meet with AB.

5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Disagree.  The NFL wasn't going to make a decision after interviewing the victim without giving AB a chance to give his side.  The earliest we would ever have had a decision is after the NFL interviews both parties.  We may see something after they meet with AB.

You may be right, but I am of the opinion that if anything truly damning came out in that interview, AB would have been put on the exempt list immediately.  

4 minutes ago, abrunn11 said:

You may be right, but I am of the opinion that if anything truly damning came out in that interview, AB would have been put on the exempt list immediately.  

True and not true. If some of the evidence involves phone records and emails, their forensic team would probably want to legitimize them first as with the case with Zeke. To move forward that fast would mean she had video of the alleged assault.

Edited by nonstopfan

33 minutes ago, abrunn11 said:

Do other players threaten to retire over an old helmet. Just one example but he’s been acting very erratic ever since he was trying to get out of Pitt 

si reporter just dropped a nuke.

have a backup plan for your ff team if it includes AB.

i'd be p surprised if hes not on the exempt list before sunday if for no other reason than pr.

apologies to the mods if this is outside the lines

Edited by Cotton Jones
  • Like 1

If he’s not on exempt list by Sunday then NFL has lost all credibility.  This is pathetic at this point.

• Like 1

I'm being serious here. Can someone please explain to me what those texts even mean or the intention behind them? Why are there comments saying this would be the final nail in him being suspended for games?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

If he’s not on exempt list by Sunday then NFL has lost all credibility.  This is pathetic at this point.

Oh?

17 minutes ago, peleincubus said:

I'm being serious here. Can someone please explain to me what those texts even mean or the intention behind them? Why are there comments saying this would be the final nail in him being suspended for games?

Basically he was saying the painter who accused him of standing naked behind him of being broke with a lot of kids and trying to get money. He then asked someone in the group to dig up info on her and then posted a picture of her and her kids and said look how broke they are. Now people are taking this as him somehow threatening her kids, which I think is ridiculous. 

People see what they want to 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1