Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

In context, hoodie said this as a precursor to saying he doesn’t want to talk about it (AB) and only wants to answer questions about the game the game this week.

Just now, shakestreet said:

Might be a loser but as a Patriot fan I want him on the field. 

At least he’s not a serial killer, cheater or drug user, Shake.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Trying to answer my own question.

It appears that the Zeke and Brady situations did not involve the commissioner exempt list.  Brady's situation played out entirely during the offseason, so there was no need.  Zeke was never put on the exempt list.  He was suspended prior to the season, was granted an injunction so that he could play, and Goodell declined putting him on the exempt list during the season.

So....I think the most applicable scenario is the Adrian Peterson situation.  Once he was on the exempt list, he could not play immediately and missed games.

If this is wrong, someone please correct me so that we have accurate info here.

Not to get all bird lawyer-y here, but once a player is placed on the exempt list the NFLPA can appeal and argue that the commissioner violated the agreement by unfairly suspending the player. Once it gets to that point, there are many outcomes depending on how the various judges and arbitrators rule. 

In the AP situation, he received a number of unfavorable rulings, which is why he missed the whole season.  I remember scrambling to add him at one point during that season because there was a possibility he'd be able to play during the fantasy playoffs. Then the ruling went the other way.

There's no apples-to-apples comparison because if/when AB is placed on the list, it all comes down to the specifics of the allegations, how hard the NFLPA wants to fight, how the judges rule. There are scenarios where the can gets kicked down the road and he eventually receives a suspension that applies to the 2020 season after playing 15 games + the playoffs this year, and there are scenarios where he never plays another game in the NFL. That risk is baked into any dealings involving this guy.

Edited by eg4190

4 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Bleacher Report no reporting the NFL is investigating the alleged threatening test message sent by Brown to the woman.

Time will tell.

With everything we've seen in the past regarding NFL player conduct investigations, I would be shocked if he's not put on the exempt list after they're done. 

Think about it this way - how's it going to look if the NFL DOESN'T take action?  Those texts are out in the open and there is going to be a significant portion of the public who believes AB was trying to retaliate and intimidate his accuser.  Plenty of people here have come to that conclusion.  Not taking action will be interpreted as condoning it.

AB will have to exonerate himself completely and that's going to be nearly impossible.

I think the NFL plays it safe and puts him on the exempt list.

3 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Not to get all bird lawyer-y here, but once a player is placed on the exempt list the NFLPA can appeal and argue that the commissioner violated the agreement by unfairly suspending the player.

What I was trying to determine is whether the player can continue to play while an appeal of the exempt list status is being filed.  From what I can tell, they cannot play, so AB would be sitting as soon as it happened.

If I didn't dislike Antonio Brown so intensely, I would try to trade for him.  Goodell is a gutless weasel and will sit back and do nothing.  Book it.

5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

With everything we've seen in the past regarding NFL player conduct investigations, I would be shocked if he's not put on the exempt list after they're done. 

Think about it this way - how's it going to look if the NFL DOESN'T take action?  Those texts are out in the open and there is going to be a significant portion of the public who believes AB was trying to retaliate and intimidate his accuser.  Plenty of people here have come to that conclusion.  Not taking action will be interpreted as condoning it.

AB will have to exonerate himself completely and that's going to be nearly impossible.

I think the NFL plays it safe and puts him on the exempt list.

AB can not exonerate himself.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exonerate

Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

What I was trying to determine is whether the player can continue to play while an appeal of the exempt list status is being filed.  From what I can tell, they cannot play, so AB would be sitting as soon as it happened.

The players definitely can't play while they're on the list, but it is possible for a judge to order that a player be removed from the list pending an appeal / investigation / etc. though. So it's possible he could be placed on the list but win in court within a few weeks.  AP tried this strategy, he just lost in court.

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yes - a player can appeal placement on the list.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If I didn't dislike Antonio Brown so intensely, I would try to trade for him.  Goodell is a gutless weasel and will sit back and do nothing.  Book it.

This may have been true pre-Ray Rice incident, but not anymore.  They err on the side of too much discipline now.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Yes - a player can appeal placement on the list.

They can appeal but, until that appeal is heard, he's missing games, right?  That's what I'm trying to answer.

They can appeal but, until that appeal is heard, he's missing games, right?  That's what I'm trying to answer.

That’s correct based on my understanding

Yes.  That’s how appeals work.

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

This may have been true pre-Ray Rice incident, but not anymore.  They err on the side of too much discipline now.

The Tyreek Hill and Josh Gordon cases recently have appeared to be examples that the trend is reversing. 

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Tyreek Hill and Josh Gordon cases recently have appeared to be examples that the trend is reversing. 

Good point.  I still think they come down on AB though.

Pre-draft rankings for next year are going to put a premium on drama-free players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, swetooth9 said:

Pre-draft rankings for next year are going to put a premium on drama-free players

I'm going to own a lot of craft slot receivers and full backs. 

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Keeping up with all the AB news the past few months

Image result for lil nas x gif vma

Please put a wash cloth over that.

TIA

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I’ve been watching from afar, but the key difference as far as I can tell is video/visual evidence. They will sweep it under the rug if they are able, but once there is a visual they take action (Rice, Hunt, AP). Now there is some visual evidence from DUMB AB, but I’m not sure it rises to the level of getting him put on the list. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by nromn

2 minutes ago, nromn said:

I’ve been watching from afar, but the key difference as far as I can tell is video/visual evidence. They will sweep it under the rug if they are able, but once there is a visual they take action (Rice, Hunt, AP). Now there is some visual evidence from DUMB AB, but I’m not sure it rises to the level of getting him put on the list. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

In this time of the me too movement, I can see eventual backlash from women’s rights groups to force the nfl’s hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Long Snappers to be part of magick foosball landscape - coming soon ... 

If we could somehow add punters to fantasy football, I'd be all over the Scottish Hammer.

No doubt WR1 this week.  Let's ride him as long as we can.  

• Like 3

Oh boy, I'm dying to find the actual text messages online somewhere. The other ones were absolute gold. I wonder if someone on twitter has actually already translated them to English?

Edited by The Jesus

As far as I can tell, there's nothing particularly illegal about sending someone text messages. The most he'll get is a restraining order. It sounds like Brown and this woman should have a mutual restraining order against each other anyway. They both sound nuts.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Haha 1