Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

5 hours ago, psygolf said:

He'll end up like Bell...a discontent Steeler.  Nobody will pay Pittsburgh's (or AB's) price

...whether he decides to suit up depends on the man himself.

Uhh... the situation is a lot different. AB is under contract for a few more seasons. He can't force his way out like Bell did. Sounds like the Steelers are preparing to move him though.

7 hours ago, devaster said:

Uhh... the situation is a lot different. AB is under contract for a few more seasons. He can't force his way out like Bell did. Sounds like the Steelers are preparing to move him though.

It's very similar...2 players that ask to be traded, Pitt wanting to get back what their on-field value currently is, and the rest of the League more than likely not willing to pay it.  

On 1/5/2019 at 12:34 AM, psygolf said:

It's interesting how you started the thread calling him one of the most polarizing players for 2019...then call any stat which I submit that is incongruent with your belief a trolling effort.   I have not posted anything false.

Well, AB is polarizing more because it will be difficult to project his stats if he moves to a different team. If he gets traded to the Raiders is he still a WR1?  That’s a separate concern from age-based decline.

8 hours ago, eg4190 said:

If he gets traded to the Raiders...

Now that would be some downright funny shiite right there.

8 hours ago, eg4190 said:

Well, AB is polarizing more because it will be difficult to project his stats if he moves to a different team. If he gets traded to the Raiders is he still a WR1?  That’s a separate concern from age-based decline.

0% chance. Although the 49ers is a possibility

27 minutes ago, phegotgame14 said:

0% chance. 

Really? The Raiders have cap space and draft picks in abundance. 

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I hope Bell & AB end up raiders

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

The Raiders didn’t load up on draft picks to fill it with veteran curmudgeons.

• Like 1

Just now, psygolf said:

I hope Bell & AB end up raiders

That would be very very funny.

It all depends upon what a moron "Mark" Davis is. OAK can probably have both of these players if they completely sell off any interest in the future, which I would never put past the Raiders.

I going to make the improbable least likely to happen but it can call if traded. .  AB to the Browns. They are the only legit team that have both the cap space and the draft picks to do a deal with Pitt and a QB that would fit well with AB

My backup call is AB to the Niners for the same reasons. . :lol:

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

I going to make the improbable least likely to happen but it can call if traded. .  AB to the Browns. They are the only legit team that have both the cap space and the draft picks to do a deal with Pitt and a QB that would fit well with AB

My backup call is AB to the Niners for the same reasons. . :lol:

You have to think they wouldn’t trade them to a team in their own division, but man would I love to see AB on the Browns with Baker.

I still vehemently believe he is not traded.   That said, i like SF as a destination.  I feel strongly they'll try harder to get him out to the NFC.    I do wonder if the team with the huge mass of draft capital takes a shot though......and if Pittsburgh would do him wrong by sending him out to Oakland/Vegas.     

29 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I don't think AB is going to go anywhere. 

The amount of dead money says he wont but the Steelers could find a way to get creative with their cap

Couldn't the Steelers void his contract for conduct detrimental to the team?  I mean, have to imagine there is some language in there that says if you just leave and don't show up for team functions that your contract could be nullified.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Couldn't the Steelers void his contract for conduct detrimental to the team?  I mean, have to imagine there is some language in there that says if you just leave and don't show up for team functions that your contract could be nullified.

I did a little digging and found this passage:

Teams that negotiate guarantees for players also negotiate scenarios in which the guarantees will void. Though these vary team by team there are some pretty standard void mechanisms that are used across the board. Such mechanisms include non football injury caused by performing dangerous activities such as sky diving, suspensions for personal conduct, steroid, drugs, or conduct detrimental to the team, incarceration, holding out, retirement, and doing something to undermine the team.  As you go team by team you will see some different things that are team specific like failing a physical.

Source

So it certainly seems feasible that Pittsburgh could get rid of AB all together and not suffer any cap consequences... if they wanted to go that route.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

I doubt if it's that easy and you will probably have the NFLPA all over you and it will become a messy legal situation

1 hour ago, TTo34 said:

I did a little digging and found this passage:

Teams that negotiate guarantees for players also negotiate scenarios in which the guarantees will void. Though these vary team by team there are some pretty standard void mechanisms that are used across the board. Such mechanisms include non football injury caused by performing dangerous activities such as sky diving, suspensions for personal conduct, steroid, drugs, or conduct detrimental to the team, incarceration, holding out, retirement, and doing something to undermine the team.  As you go team by team you will see some different things that are team specific like failing a physical.

Source

So it certainly seems feasible that Pittsburgh could get rid of AB all together and not suffer any cap consequences... if they wanted to go that route.

That's walking a tight rope. If he does something truly detrimental sure but if they find a way to not pay him for acting out no one on earth will ever want to sign with the Steelers again. 

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That's walking a tight rope. If he does something truly detrimental sure but if they find a way to not pay him for acting out no one on earth will ever want to sign with the Steelers again. 

The Steelers wouldn't get away with that through the appeal/arbitration process.

18 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

The Raiders didn’t load up on draft picks to fill it with veteran curmudgeons.

The Raiders under Gruden have consistently filled their roster, and given significant snaps and targets to a whole collection of veteran curmudgeons during the (soon to be over) John Gruden era.

26 minutes ago, devaster said:

The Steelers wouldn't get away with that through the appeal/arbitration process.

What could be more detrimental than skipping out the team during the lead-up to a critical week 17 game?  Note that Brown's agent called Coach Tomlin and said Brown would show up Sunday, ready to play.  Drew Rosenhous ain't dumb--he knew what was at stake.

I think the Steelers will hold the nuclear option in reserve.  If Brown straightens up and flies right, all will be forgiven.  If the antics continue?  Boom, he's gone and all guaranteed money voided.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

What could be more detrimental than skipping out the team during the lead-up to a critical week 17 game?  Note that Brown's agent called Coach Tomlin and said Brown would show up Sunday, ready to play.  Drew Rosenhous ain't dumb--he knew what was at stake.

I think the Steelers will hold the nuclear option in reserve.  If Brown straightens up and flies right, all will be forgiven.  If the antics continue?  Boom, he's gone and all guaranteed money voided.

You are fishing with a personal agenda/vendetta against AB. It was already stated above, but the NFLPA would never allow that to happen. It would go through a lengthy legal battle and the NFL would be unlikely to win that one as conduct detrimental to the team is difficult to quantify.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

You are fishing with a personal agenda/vendetta against AB. It was already stated above, but the NFLPA would never allow that to happen. It would go through a lengthy legal battle and the NFL would be unlikely to win that one as conduct detrimental to the team is difficult to quantify.

He was also listed with a knee injury during that time (I think) so he could always just blame it on that.

I think AB has the leverage here.

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

He was also listed with a knee injury during that time (I think) so he could always just blame it on that.

I think AB has the leverage here.

The NFLPA chooses their battles. And having an expensive contract completely voided for what a team deemed "conduct detrimental to the team" would be a tough battle for the Steelers to win. And he was on the injury report like to mentioned. Steelers front office is definitely dysfunctional these days though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think it may be too late. Too much history of AB doing dumbass things like recording locker room banter and posting it on Twitter, which was a couple of years ago. I just read that AB's beef with Big Ben was because AB ran the wrong route in a drill and BB yelled something to the effect of "get him out of here. Get someone else in here" which would seem to indicate BB was fed up with AB, possibly for repeatedly screwing up in practice from how it sounds. If you are an elite veteran NFL WR, one of the highest paid, how do you get into a situation where your QB is treating you like a rookie?

Regardless, no matter what played out you don't bail on your team like that. Add this latest incident to Brown's history and it's going to be tough to go back and unring that bell. Just sounds like the money and success have gone to his head. 

• Like 1