Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

On 2/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

That's true, but today's athletes are setting the bar lower and lower.  

I see it as more of todays athlet understand their value in terms of being economic drivers for the NFL. and they push back against what they percieve as unfairness to them.

Fans are unfortunately unable to differentiate the team game played on the field  from the economics that drive each individual, each team  and  the NFL collectively. 

So the highly visible athlete is labeled as a troublemaker and disruptive and gets the fans scorn as a result

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

I see it as more of todays athlet understand their value in terms of being economic drivers for the NFL. and they push back against what they percieve as unfairness to them.

Fans are unfortunately unable to differentiate the team game played on the field  from the economics that drive each individual, each team  and  the NFL collectively. 

So the highly visible athlete is labeled as a troublemaker and disruptive and gets the fans scorn as a result

Sorry, but I don't agree that these principles that you have listed can be applied to Antonio Brown.  The guy walked out of practice in the lead-up to his team's huge week-17 game.  And before that, he threw huge fits on the sideline every time JuJu did well and Brown had a quiet game.  Now he is airing dirty laundry in public.  Turd.  In any era.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sorry, but I don't agree that these principles that you have listed can be applied to Antonio Brown.  The guy walked out of practice in the lead-up to his team's huge week-17 game.  And before that, he threw huge fits on the sideline every time JuJu did well and Brown had a quiet game.  Now he is airing dirty laundry in public.  Turd.  In any era.

Yeah, OP and Antonio Brown are the only people that think otherwise.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I wasnt speaking of AB specifically, the response was to your comments of "today's athletes". 

Your comment was broad  so I replied in kind. . . :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I wasnt speaking of AB specifically, the response was to your comments of "today's athletes". 

Your comment was broad  so I replied in kind. . . :lol:

Fair enough.  There are some current athletes who exemplify the pinnacle of professionalism, class, and greatness.

I just don't think Antonio Brown is one of them.

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Fair enough.  There are some current athletes who exemplify the pinnacle of professionalism, class, and greatness.

Neither is Kyrie Irving. Hate that dude.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cool. Good thing that has near zero impact on a team's interest in signing/trading an all-time great player. NFL teams and fans of those teams care about one thing. Their team winning on the field.

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Cool. Good thing that has near zero impact on a team's interest in signing/trading an all-time great player. NFL teams and fans of those teams care about one thing. Their team winning on the field.

I know AB thinks that is true.  But I think he is in for a rude awakening.  And I think he's still going to be a Steeler next year.

14 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I'm not sure why you think in this age of $100mm  players that teams really care about these  'qualitites' you keep harping about. 

Some teams do and most don't as long as they think the player can help them win games. The NFL is full of misfits and selfish players.

I'm willing to bet every team has a disruptive and selfish player to some extent however it's tolerated as long as the production and wins are there.  

The fact is teams find ways to manage disruptive players as long as those players produce

Now here is the puzzling part about the AB story that I am uncertain about, is it that he is a bad character overall or is it that he simply has bad chemistry with Ben which makes the owner willing to trade him. What exactly is the irreconcilible issue?

44 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Now here is the puzzling part about the AB story that I am uncertain about, is it that he is a bad character overall or is it that he simply has bad chemistry with Ben which makes the owner willing to trade him. What exactly is the irreconcilible issue?

If you are puzzled about why the Steelers and Brown will have difficulty co-existing going forwards, you are either not very bright, you have not been paying any attention, or you are too blinded by your love of having Brown on your fantasy team to be able to see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you are puzzled about why the Steelers and Brown will have difficulty co-existing going forwards, you are either not very bright, you have not been paying any attention, or you are too blinded by your love of having Brown on your fantasy team to be able to see it.

You can't be too bright if you didnt understand the question or didnt ask for clarification instead of simply lashing out because of your anti AB/Bell bias . . .

FYI I have never owned AB or Bell on any of my fantasy teams, too expensive :lol:

The Steelers  the last 2 seasons have been dealing with uncharacteristically public issues with 2 star veteran players centered around contract issues. This is not a norm for the organization. Normally the organization deals with disputes on their terms and without making public statements or updates. Normally they are clear with their intent to keep or trade or release a player.   Contract issues concerning money is simple math however Bell+ AB has taken on a more personal tone and have entered a realm of irreconcilliable and extremely dramatic posistions by all parties involved. 

Now a player such as AB knows he is only as good as the QB throwing him the ball and the team built around him to facilitate that.  There are not many landing spots outside of the Steelers where he can get a max contract and a high quality offense and experienced vet QB who can deliver him the ball. Yet much of his discord has been centered around his relationship with his "unhappiness" pointing towards Ben. 

So the question I will pose again is AB simply a bad character in general or does he have a specific issue with Big Ben which makes it untenable for management to keep him? 

54 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You can't be too bright if you didnt understand the question ...o the question I will pose again is AB simply a bad character in general or does he have a specific issue with Big Ben which makes it untenable for management to keep him? 

Questioning the intelligence of Dashoe was probably not my best moment.  You and I have had many good discussions on this forum.

As for Brown, it seems that he was a humble, hard worker when he first came into the league.  Now his fame has gone to his head, it seems.  It appears to me that he has an outsized view of himself--that he deserves to be the highest paid WR in the league on a multiple year deal with all guaranteed money.  Well it just simply doesn't work that way.

The Steelers are not going to to release Brown or trade him for peanuts.  So I suspect we will soon see whether Brown and the Steelers can work together in 2019.  Brown quite obviously is trying to force his way out of town, but it is all in his head.  Brown is under contract for three more years, and has become toxic.  So the Steelers are going to have a rough time trading him.  I wonder if CTE is figuring into this equation somehow. 

Not sure why that is all crossed out.  Not my intention.  Requesting mods to change the font and then delete this post. 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:57 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Big Ben is younger and bigger and stronger than Brady, and better at extending plays.  Brady, at least this year, was better at winning games when they counted.

And Brady was one Dee Ford phantom neutral zone infraction away from losing the AFC Championship with a three-pick effort.  

We know Brown is all about his own stats and his own glory, so I am not sure he is going to like it when Edelman catches 8-9 passes or Sony Michel scores three 1-yard TDs in a game and Brown goes 4-45.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you actually trying to claim that Dee Ford didn't jump and deserve the penalty?

AB has been acting like he currently is for quite some time. He always would show up to training camp extravagantly. New cars with custom paint jobs and work every training camp. And so on. It hasn't ever impacted his play on the field.

Big Ben's attitude has been a problem for years though. And the organization and ownership cater to him. He publically calls out his own teammates in the media and throws them under the bus as well. You have the GM talking about how the other 52 players are Ben's "kids". It has been brewing for a while in Pittsburgh, but Ben is at the center of the real issues with the team.

I fully expect AB to play like a he has on the field when he goes to a new team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

AB has been acting like he currently is for quite some time. He always would show up to training camp extravagantly. New cars with custom paint jobs and work every training camp. And so on. It hasn't ever impacted his play on the field.

Big Ben's attitude has been a problem for years though. And the organization and ownership cater to him. He publically calls out his own teammates in the media and throws them under the bus as well. You have the GM talking about how the other 52 players are Ben's "kids". It has been brewing for a while in Pittsburgh, but Ben is at the center of the real issues with the team.

I fully expect AB to play like a he has on the field when he goes to a new team.

That's correct. Brown's immaturity has never impacted his ability on the field. What it has impacted however is having a strong dynamic in the locker room. The way he acts and the way Ben acts are absolutely terrible for a locker room in the NFL and it is finally hitting a head. I agree that Ben deserves more blame than he gets. I have always felt this way about Ben, even when Cowher was the head coach (though not as obvious as it's gotten worse with Tomlin coaching). He seems to be a terrible leader and is always milking an injury.

It's telling how they are two possibilities that follow whenever Ben turns the ball over. First, he will either then decide its time to come up with a dramatic limp so that an injury would be to blame. Or he throws his teammates under the bus and points the finger at them claiming it was their fault.

Like I said, I agree with you that Ben is a huge part of the problem. He's probably the main problem aside from Tomlin. IMO, they need a coach that won't allow it. The fact that Tomlin seems to be more interested in being one of the "bois" rather than an actual head coach, is a huge problem as he has enabled this kind of behavior. 

On 2/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Wk 17 wasn't huge, they were already toast after wk 16 and everyone including AB knew it.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

That's correct. Brown's immaturity has never impacted his ability on the field. What it has impacted however is having a strong dynamic in the locker room. The way he acts and the way Ben acts are absolutely terrible for a locker room in the NFL and it is finally hitting a head. I agree that Ben deserves more blame than he gets. I have always felt this way about Ben, even when Cowher was the head coach (though not as obvious as it's gotten worse with Tomlin coaching). He seems to be a terrible leader and is always milking an injury.

It's telling how they are two possibilities that follow whenever Ben turns the ball over. First, he will either then decide its time to come up with a dramatic limp so that an injury would be to blame. Or he throws his teammates under the bus and points the finger at them claiming it was their fault.

Like I said, I agree with you that Ben is a huge part of the problem. He's probably the main problem aside from Tomlin. IMO, they need a coach that won't allow it. The fact that Tomlin seems to be more interested in being one of the "bois" rather than an actual head coach, is a huge problem as he has enabled this kind of behavior. 

I would bet that most teams you have disruptive players and guys who don't always get along however like most teams they all come to play, compete for playing time and earn their paychecks. I think there is a myth the fans buy into about the comraderie of an NFL lockers room. I thinks it's no difference than any work environment, when the business is successful people get along better and everyone is on the same page when the business is failing the workplace becomes toxic and interpersonal issues and communication complicate the process of doing business.

A-holes are tolerable when everyone is making money and winning

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

AB took l's everywhere. On the masked singer, with the Steelers and by his baby mama.

Were those capital I's or lowercase L's

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Wk 17 wasn't huge, they were already toast after wk 16 and everyone including AB knew it.

Not true. 

All they needed was a wk 17 win vs the Bengals + a Ravens loss against Cleveland...both games were played in the afternoon, both were close games.

13 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Not true. 

All they needed was a wk 17 win vs the Bengals + a Ravens loss against Cleveland...both games were played in the afternoon, both were close games.

And needing the Browns to win over the Ravens was all you needed to know that it was a hopeless situation. The Steelers were a massive disappointment last season and it had nothing to do with AB.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

And needing the Browns to win over the Ravens was all you needed to know that it was a hopeless situation. The Steelers were a massive disappointment last season and it had nothing to do with AB.

The team imploded after a 7-2 start,  it would be silly for anyone to blame the diva wr or bell for that. As usual with Pitt it always comes down to the defense not making plays when needed.

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I would bet that most teams you have disruptive players and guys who don't always get along however like most teams they all come to play, compete for playing time and earn their paychecks. I think there is a myth the fans buy into about the comraderie of an NFL lockers room. I thinks it's no difference than any work environment, when the business is successful people get along better and everyone is on the same page when the business is failing the workplace becomes toxic and interpersonal issues and communication complicate the process of doing business.

A-holes are tolerable when everyone is making money and winning

Can you name me these players that are "disruptive" the way AB is that are on winning teams? I'm interested to know about the me disruptive players the Patriots have as an example.

I know you're not saying ALL teams, but you are saying there are other teams that deal with this. Ok? So what? Not sure I follow your point exactly since the discussion isn't about whether there are other players in the NFL that are disruptive. Isn't that obvious? The discussion is about AB and how he has disrupted the Pittsburgh locker room with his behavior, which really isn't debatable. 

• Thanks 1