Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

this whole situation sounds overblown. I wouldn't put this lost season on AB. 

6 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

this whole situation sounds overblown. I wouldn't put this lost season on AB. 

Antonio Brown dynasty owner, eh?  That's rough.

57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Antonio Brown dynasty owner, eh?  That's rough.

Nope. No steelers. (except boswell)

16 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

What could be more detrimental than skipping out the team during the lead-up to a critical week 17 game?  Note that Brown's agent called Coach Tomlin and said Brown would show up Sunday, ready to play.  Drew Rosenhous ain't dumb--he knew what was at stake.

I think the Steelers will hold the nuclear option in reserve.  If Brown straightens up and flies right, all will be forgiven.  If the antics continue?  Boom, he's gone and all guaranteed money voided.

I think you are wish reaching on this issue. There is very little incentive by the team to use that clause to void browns contract. it simply wouldnt pass the sniff test and would damage their reputation. The burden of proof would be too high for the team to successfully void the contract.  You would  probably have the league office push back on it too because it would set a bad precedent for owners who want to get out of bad contracts and use it to circumvent salary cap rules; which is bad for the overall league. 

On 1/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Gohawks said:

That's walking a tight rope. If he does something truly detrimental sure but if they find a way to not pay him for acting out no one on earth will ever want to sign with the Steelers again. 

There is absolutely no way he has done anything seriously detrimental to the team. He will be a Steeler in 2019. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:55 AM, dashoe said:

I going to make the improbable least likely to happen but it can call if traded. .  AB to the Browns. They are the only legit team that have both the cap space and the draft picks to do a deal with Pitt and a QB that would fit well with AB

My backup call is AB to the Niners for the same reasons. . :lol:

Mr. Rooney light his junk on fire before trading a pack of ink pens to the Browns...much less Antonio. 

This is quite an update from the Steelers owner...

Speaking Thursday, Steelers owner Art Rooney II said he was open to trading Antonio Brown, and that it was "hard to envision" him being with the team in 2019.

Rooney said that the only thing not on the table was releasing Brown. The Steelers are not going to give Brown away, but their intentions could not be more clear. The de facto deadline is March 17, when Brown is due a $2.5 million roster bonus. Whatever happened to cause Brown's Week 17 deactivation was the breaking point of a years-long accumulation of events. The best receiver in football turns 31 in July. Despite 2018's ugly turn, he will be in high demand.
Jan 10 - 3:51 PM
  • Like 3

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Steelers have not spoken with Antonio Brown since he was deactivated for the team's Week 17 game against the Bengals.
Per reporter Gerry Dulac, Brown has "refused to return repeated phone calls" from owner Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin. He skipped the team's final meetings. "Whether the situation can be reconciled and have him back on the team next year, we’re a long way away from thinking that can happen," Rooney said, expanding on his comments that it was difficult to envision Brown with the team in 2019. "We’re not closing the door on anything at this point." Rooney said the massive $21.2 million cap hit the Steelers would take by trading Brown will not factor into their decision. Rooney sounds 100 percent ready to move on. Jan 10 - 4:28 PM

EDIT: these quotes/info appear to have been pulled from the article Corleone posted above.
Edited by FollowTheLeader

I'm sticking with my belief he stays put next year, but obviously the foundation of my faith in that belief is crumbling a bit.     I'll now admit that I think he gets dealt for the right price, but that's probably a high price.  A Khalil Mack price, at least.   

I am not sure where he would even be a great fit.  Part of the reason AB is so clutch is his chemistry with Big Ben.  

Hard to say he would be close to the same guy with another QB though it would give his career the ability to 'stand on his own foot' should be produce at an elite level with a new team/QB.  

He needs a team that have JAGs at WR where he can dominate the targets.  Him and Lev Bell need to reunite on the Raiders :lol:

21 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

I am not sure where he would even be a great fit.  Part of the reason AB is so clutch is his chemistry with Big Ben.  

Hard to say he would be close to the same guy with another QB though it would give his career the ability to 'stand on his own foot' should be produce at an elite level with a new team/QB.  

He needs a team that have JAGs at WR where he can dominate the targets.  Him and Lev Bell need to reunite on the Raiders :lol:

This is meaningless in my opinion. Jerry Rice is regarded as the greatest every and played nearly his entire career with HoFame QB's. Montana to Young. And then a young Garcia who was also a very good QB. And didn't he end his career with Gannon who was playing as a league MVP?

AB's stats are inflated due to playing with Ben and a friendly offensive scheme, but so were Rice's. Rice still would have finished as the GOAT regardless of who was throwing him the ball.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

This is meaningless in my opinion. Jerry Rice is regarded as the greatest every and played nearly his entire career with HoFame QB's. Montana to Young. And then a young Garcia who was also a very good QB. And didn't he end his career with Gannon who was playing as a league MVP?

AB's stats are inflated due to playing with Ben and a friendly offensive scheme, but so were Rice's. Rice still would have finished as the GOAT regardless of who was throwing him the ball.

I doubt AB want's to be forever known as the greatest WR of this current 'era' only when he is on Big Bens team.  If he goes and puts up 100 catches/1300 yards 8-10 TDs on a completely different team with a different QB that would be fairly big for his legacy in general. 

2 hours ago, Zak0221 said:

He needs a team that have JAGs at WR where he can dominate the targets.  Him and Lev Bell need to reunite on the Raiders

i say he and bell end up with the 49ers.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, dashoe said:

I going to make the improbable least likely to happen but it can call if traded. .  AB to the Browns. They are the only legit team that have both the cap space and the draft picks to do a deal with Pitt and a QB that would fit well with AB

My backup call is AB to the Niners for the same reasons. . :lol:

Still looking good. . . ..:lol:

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Rice still would have finished as the GOAT regardless of who was throwing him the ball.

nope he would not have. think about it......montana is arguably the greatest qb of all time. young is one of the top 3 alltime in qb % of completions. you think jeff george, steve mcnair, or even a warren moon would have gotten those #'s to rice? i doubt that very much. you just have to say that rice was the greatest ever, but it was a hell of a lot more than just his "work ethic"

As a 49er, these are the QBs Rice played with not named Montana, Young, and Garcia. Elvis Grbac (9 games), Jeff Kemp (6), Steve Bono (6), Mike Moroski (2), and Matt Cavanugh (1). Over the 24 games he played with those JAG backups, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs. That is an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards, and 16 touchdowns. He's just amazing, no matter how you go about it. 

In 1987 he had just 65 receptions for 1078 yards. But he did that in only 12 games. And had a ridiculous 22 TDs. That is almost 2 TDs per game, and on pace for damn near 30 TDs in a 16 game season.

A full 8 years later, in 1995, his 11th in the league, and a season where Young got hurt and only played 10.5 games, Rice had 122 receptions for 1848 yards and only a measly 15 TDs. Yeah.

He is the GOAT by a country mile for a reason.

And to keep it on topic: Rice has advocated for the Niners to actively pursue Brown. He has stated in the past that Brown is the most similar player to him he has seen in the league since he played.

Edited by elroypedro
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

i say he and bell end up with the 49ers.

Levi Stadium would have to build an entire second home locker room to house the egos of Richard Sherman, Le’veon Bell and Antonio Brown.  Boy would it be fun to watch that team self destruct.

He’s going to go to some bad franchise that’s desperate to get fans in seats.

I could see the Patriots making a move for him.  Brady and Belichick have limited years left.  I don't see why they wouldn't maximize their opportunities, given that their plan for Josh Gordon fell through.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Levi Stadium would have to build an entire second home locker room to house the egos of Richard Sherman, Le’veon Bell and Antonio Brown.  Boy would it be fun to watch that team self destruct.

Sherman was one of the best CB's this season. Is a player not allowed to voice opinion and intelligence without being labeled selfish, egotistical, and a diva?

• Like 1

Pittsburgh would probably never trade Brown to New England.  But Brown would be a much needed asset up in Foxboro.   

Edited by SharkSwimmer

5 hours ago, devaster said:

Sherman was one of the best CB's this season. Is a player not allowed to voice opinion and intelligence without being labeled selfish, egotistical, and a diva?

Sherman graded out as "above average" by PFF fwiw

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But Brown would be a much needed asset up in Foxboro.   

Man, he'd be the greatest decoy they ever had!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gohawks said:

He’s going to go to some bad franchise that’s desperate to get fans in seats.

jets