Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, itslarry said:

I was going to say, didnt he miss the superbowl? 

Maybe not the best comparison.

No? He was injured that season and made a miraculous recovery for the SB and played well. McNabb was the one who crapped the bed in that game.

He was suspended a different season for a power struggle with McNabb. Which ended up being silly and the Eagles probably should have sided with TO in hindsight.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

This is not a solution. This is a workplace PPE issue.  In the workplace you don’t get to opt out of using certified protection when you are working in hazardous environment.  Add to that the insurance issues and liability.  Companies are legally responsible for allowing workers to wear substandard protection, no matter how many waivers the worker may sign.  Those waivers don’t mean much in court.

Interesting to see so many people dismissing this as simply news cycle chaff and completely bypassing the possibility that Brown is outright bark-at-the-moon crazy that was covered up by PIT for a few years.

Great take, honestly.  AB has been acting irrationally for several years, but his symptoms appear to be escalating.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 6:35 PM, marlin said:

At first I laughed and thought it was AB being AB but maybe he has a point here.  You mean to tell me the helmet he was using and provided with all these years was considered unsafe and dangerous to use.   Did he suffer from any concussions in that time?  If so, is there a potential lawsuit coming on for the league having him used in what they are calling completely unsafe helmets?

Surprised this comment has been glossed over and ignored. It is a good point. And apparently the helmets manufactured before 10 years ago are also now unsafe. What made them safe last season and previous seasons?

Just now, devaster said:

Surprised this comment has been glossed over and ignored. It is a good point. And apparently the helmets manufactured before 10 years ago are also now unsafe. What made them safe last season and previous seasons?

What made leather helmets safe in the 30s?  

• Like 6

Just now, Impreza178 said:

What made leather helmets safe in the 30s?  

How is that relevant to the current discussion?

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

No? He was injured that season and made a miraculous recovery for the SB and played well. McNabb was the one who crapped the bed in that game.

He was suspended a different season for a power struggle with McNabb. Which ended up being silly and the Eagles probably should have sided with TO in hindsight.

Yeah mu bad, i jsuy remembered it had a negative affect on him. Sorry for the misinformation

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Ummm, improvements to later model helmets, to the point that the risk of the older helmets is enough that they are considered outdated from a safety aspect?  Happens all the time with hard hats.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, devaster said:

This seems like it misses the basic misunderstanding of the issue.  As people better understand the science of concussions and better technology becomes available, the NFL will change the requirements for helmets and what may have been permitted last year may be no longer allowed this year if the league has made changes to what is considered the minimum floor for acceptably safe equipment.  

What was deemed safe in 1934 was different than 1950, which was different than 1970, which was different than 2000, which was different than 2018, which is now different than 2019.  These things change over time and while there will always be people who resist change it is inevitable that the league will have to force these changes through to the players.  There is no good point here for Brown.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 3

Just now, The 7th Beatles said:

EBkfiSoXYAE-PAP.jpg

Lmao-  quality content as usual Beatle. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, devaster said:

It's a natural deterioration of products that the manufacture tested for when first creating the helmet. They've obviously tested this helmets up to certain specifications likely taking multiple helmets and having them withstand game like hits and then multiplying across seasons to give them an accurate model of the lifespan of their helmet. Riddell expects helmets to be reconditioned every 2 years for a ten year life span. That's the manufactures recommendation and obviously the precedent the NFL wants to take.

It's like the general deterioration of oil in your car or the amount of times a seat can take someone sitting on it. Sure the helmet probably won't explode on the next contact or next hit, but the curve of deterioration is such that the manufacture now believes that 10 years is the point of time that they see a risk factor jump higher than what they are comfortable with. 

Edited by TheDoctor
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

I remember when cigarettes used to be healthy

I read that Brannigan is holding out and won't take the field until they approve his vintage 1978 velour uniform.  Rooting for him and Brown to win their appeals.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s all soap opera. A lot of drama, and nothing of substance. He’ll be on the field and ready to play week 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

EBkfiSoXYAE-PAP.jpg

He’ll have great vision though!

• Like 1

Waiting with bated breath to hear his response when reporters invariably ask him how the new certified helmet felt on his precious noggin.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yanki01 said:

looooooolollllooool

Does that mean he didn't practice at all?

11 hours ago, TheDoctor said:
21 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Solution:

1. Take out $15M minimum policy with Lloyd's of London.
  2. Play.
  3. If injured, make your claim.
  4. Lloyd's files for subjugation interest to be reimbursed by NFL.

Done.

Out of all the bad takes on these forums this might be the worst. 

Well, it was kind of tongue in cheek.

Besides - stupid problems require stupid solutions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Well, it was kind of tongue in cheek.

Besides - stupid problems require stupid solutions.

I still can't believe Brown was unaware of the dangers of cold temperatures after playing football in Michigan and Pittsburgh.

I'm wondering: Did I read somewhere that he got frostbite because his feet weren't properly prepared (They were wet or something) when they entered the machine?

Did he do the therapy himself? 

1 hour ago, wildbilly73 said:

I'm wondering: Did I read somewhere that he got frostbite because his feet weren't properly prepared (They were wet or something) when they entered the machine?

Did he do the therapy himself? 

My understanding is that he went in barefoot.