Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, chicagowhitesox1173 said:

Is there any chance that this whole thing could be a decoy that Gruden is behind?

Decoy from what?   The losing to come?  Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chicagowhitesox1173 said:

Is there any chance that this whole thing could be a decoy that Gruden is behind?

Occum’s razor.  The simplest solution is that Brown is a narcissistic sociopath who has been enabled at every turn because of his huge talent on the football field and because he sells cute.

Posted (edited)

Drafting at end of the 1st. PPR

Going for 2 of Julio/Juju/Odell/Hill/Thomas/Kelce

Hoping Brown comes back to me at the end of 3rd

Take shots on RBs with potential to break out/ out produce ADP.

If you hit one RB you role.

Edited by this guy right here

2 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

End of the 3rd is highway robbery.

7 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

In 10 team 1/2 PPR, I took AB in the early 3rd.  3.03 pick.   

IMO, he is going to play and dominate.  The guy is complaining about a helmet.  It gets resolved before well before the season.  His feet will be fine.  

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

End of the 3rd is highway robbery.

I agree. People drink the drama kool-aid hard these days though. Have you been through this thread. Any thread on a troubled star.

Some dudes won't draft Tyreek because what he did off field. I'm a principled man but, the objective is winning. Even IF money isn't on the table.

got him 3rd round and if he puts up 1st round value it's gon be a big steal. only thing holding him back of course is carr and a total meltdown but i expect AB to do everything to shut the naysayers up.

Still have a feeling he’s going to be a monster as usual this season. 

What’s the state of the Raiders defense? I’d assume they’ll be playing catch-up early and often which bodes well for Raiders playmakers and garage time. 

On 8/21/2019 at 10:12 AM, this guy right here said:

I agree. People drink the drama kool-aid hard these days though. Have you been through this thread. Any thread on a troubled star.

Some dudes won't draft Tyreek because what he did off field. I'm a principled man but, the objective is winning. Even IF money isn't on the table.

I think Tyreek is more of a case of the threat of suspension. Everyone knows he's guilty as sin and if any evidence surfaces during the season he will be suspended.

Also with Bell sitting out the whole year last year I get the drama sensitivity when a guy is not showing up.

The stupid frostbite injury taking him off the field and may hurt him on it.

But really... He's now 31 and is a dramatically worse system and QB. He's entering the 4th season after his peak and in decline. His catch rate the last 2 years were the 2nd and 3rd worst of his career. His yards per reception last year dropped to a middling 12.5 and his 7.7 yards per target was the 2nd worst of his career and far cry from the 9+ he consistently put up in the past... His 15 TD was a career high last year but Carr only threw 19 last year, can we realistically expect 10+?

Make no mistake, he's in a significantly worse situation, 31 years old, in mid-decline... There's a reason the Steelers willingly traded him. 

His slide to Round 3 is well supported IMO.

• Like 2

red flags everywhere, age, mental healthy/stability, diva temper... only a matter of time before he punches a gaterade cooler on the sidelines or worse, slams it over derek carr's head over the playcalling or Carr's ability to throw a deep football. 

oh and, doesnt help that the raiders overall SOS and against pass defenses is 2nd most difficult in the NFL. 

probably retires by mid season or whenever the raiders' bye week is 

with luck's sudden retirement anything is possible. just hope this isn't a Moss situation.

Guys cream themselves over Josh Gordon who never plays, but AB in the 3rd round is too risky?  This forum is weird lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rickydragon said:

Guys cream themselves over Josh Gordon who never plays, but AB in the 3rd round is too risky?  This forum is weird lol

Josh Gordon... In his sophomore season... with 3 different rotating QBs; Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer... was on pace to have a better season... than Antonio Brown has ever had in his career.

Let that sink in.

Gordonis 3 years younger than AB, with barely any mileage on his body, with a HOF QB, on one of the best offenses in the league.  Yes the hype is hyperbole, but let's not pretend it lacks legitimate potential, even if never realized because he's an idiot.

I would gladly draft AB in the 3rd without hesitation.  I'll gladly draft Josh Gordon 3-4 rounds later as well.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:08 AM, FFCollusion said:

Josh Gordon... In his sophomore season... with 3 different rotating QBs; Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer... was on pace to have a better season... than Antonio Brown has ever had in his career.

Let that sink in.

Gordonis 3 years younger than AB, with barely any mileage on his body, with a HOF QB, on one of the best offenses in the league.  Yes the hype is hyperbole, but let's not pretend it lacks legitimate potential, even if never realized because he's an idiot.

I would gladly draft AB in the 3rd without hesitation.  I'll gladly draft Josh Gordon 3-4 rounds later as well.

When will josh Gordon lovers stop quoting that season he had like 10 years ago 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:08 PM, FFCollusion said:

Let that sink in.

3-4 rounds later is still far too rich given that people are paying for hype from 7 years ago and not anything of substance recently.

While I think he has upside, I’m not quite sure I buy into his late 2nd/early 3rd ADP just yet. 

1)Team change- I’m seeing most projections still having him at 100/1200/10, but how do we know he can do this on a new team + downgrade at QB. Every stat shows that Ben loves to throw deep, and Carr is one of the worst downfield guys in the league. My 2nd point regarding the team, why couldn’t they figure out how to use Cooper here correctly? I get Cooper is not an AB level talent, but we also saw Cooper got to Dallas and instantly be more valuable. 

2)Age- I am not a fan of taking guys into their 30s. I know WRs can age more gracefully than other positions, but I feel like if there is going to be a big drop off, it happens once they enter their 30s. In general, I just prefer younger players that have less wear and tear. 

3)His ego- this guy went crazy when JuJu got some credit for being player of the year for Pitt. He obviously cares about his stats and how he is perceived. IF Oakland gets out to a poor start and Carr can’t get him the ball as much as he’s used to, are you confident he isn’t going to go crazy? How will he react to being on a losing team overall? I’m not so much concerned w this foot injury and helmet situation, more what will happen on these points I just mentioned. 

Overall, he’s been of the best WRs in the league for a long time and you obviously can’t count him out. It’s just with these red flags I’m not sure I could take him over the other other WRs who are younger(Evans,Allen)and have less question marks, or even Kittle who will be fed the ball in SF. 

11 hours ago, devaster said:

3-4 rounds later is still far too rich given that people are paying for hype from 7 years ago and not anything of substance recently.

Well, there has been substance, but not in the way you meant.   

13 minutes ago, SportsBrain said:

While I think he has upside, I’m not quite sure I buy into his late 2nd/early 3rd ADP just yet. 

1)Team change- I’m seeing most projections still having him at 100/1200/10, but how do we know he can do this on a new team + downgrade at QB. Every stat shows that Ben loves to throw deep, and Carr is one of the worst downfield guys in the league. My 2nd point regarding the team, why couldn’t they figure out how to use Cooper here correctly? I get Cooper is not an AB level talent, but we also saw Cooper got to Dallas and instantly be more valuable. 

2)Age- I am not a fan of taking guys into their 30s. I know WRs can age more gracefully than other positions, but I feel like if there is going to be a big drop off, it happens once they enter their 30s. In general, I just prefer younger players that have less wear and tear. 

3)His ego- this guy went crazy when JuJu got some credit for being player of the year for Pitt. He obviously cares about his stats and how he is perceived. IF Oakland gets out to a poor start and Carr can’t get him the ball as much as he’s used to, are you confident he isn’t going to go crazy? How will he react to being on a losing team overall? I’m not so much concerned w this foot injury and helmet situation, more what will happen on these points I just mentioned. 

Overall, he’s been of the best WRs in the league for a long time and you obviously can’t count him out. It’s just with these red flags I’m not sure I could take him over the other other WRs who are younger(Evans,Allen)and have less question marks, or even Kittle who will be fed the ball in SF. 

All the same questions and doubts were cast on Terrell Owens as well, and he continued to post massive stats with the Eagles.
While this is obviously a slightly different situation, it's easy to see how a HOF player can have another top-5 season at his position despite all of the reasons you listed. It's been done before. While Evans and Allen may have fewer question marks, they don't have the resumé that AB does. 

If you're seriously taking Kittle over AB, I don't know what to tell you. 

30 minutes ago, SportsBrain said:

I took him in the late 2nd over Evans, Allen, Theilen, Woods, Cooks, etc.

Everyone has question marks but none of those guys are HOFers with the consistency of Brown. Hes a nut job but I don't think that has any impact on his results. He shows no sign of decline so his age doesn't bother me. Several WRs his age continue to have great seasons after age 30.

My only concern is the drop from Big Ben to Carr and that's a valid one IMO. But lets not pretend any of those other WRs (except Allen) play with stud QBs.

14 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

All the same questions and doubts were cast on Terrell Owens as well, and he continued to post massive stats with the Eagles.
While this is obviously a slightly different situation, it's easy to see how a HOF player can have another top-5 season at his position despite all of the reasons you listed. It's been done before. While Evans and Allen may have fewer question marks, they don't have the resumé that AB does. 

I wouldn’t take a TE over him but I’m certainly taking Mike Evans over Brown. Brown should be viewed as a back end WR1 this season, with upside. 

14 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

You must have drafted AB, that’s what normally happens on these forums. And again, nobody is saying he can’t do it again the point was guys like Allen/Evans certainly do have dependable resumes and have much less question marks. And if you ignoring a 25 year old who set the all-time yards record at TE in his first season being featured, and led the league in yards after catch- then you either are reading too many “regression” articles or just aren’t watching games. Kid is a monster. 

4 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

I wouldn’t take a TE over him but I’m certainly taking Mike Evans over Brown. Brown should be viewed as a back end WR1 this season, with upside. 

I took him over Evans. Debated them both. I think an argument can be made for both but Evans disappears for games at a time and that always annoys me about owning a guy like him. Hes a guy who puts up WR1 #s by year end but more often than not has weekly WR3 weeks.