Under500Forever

Chris Sale 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

He wasn’t throwing to many fastballs tonight either. I saw a lot of offspeed pitches.

i hope he isn’t hurt. I just wish we could see him throw 96+ a few times to know he can still do it. It’s a mystery at this point. Is it by design or is he having arm trouble?

i do agree with what someone posted above. The Red Sox had to do their due diligence before signing him to an extension. Right?

If he isn't hurt but has lost velo he's still an elite pitcher, albeit with less Ks. He had very good years in 2012 and 2016 with average velos of 91.6 and 92.8 on his heater. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 2

The scary thing was the precipitous velo drop per inning - meaning he’s either hurt or isn’t at full endurance yet

It really surprised me that the Red Sox locked him up to that contract before the year started.  Bigtime money.  Worth it when healthy but still a substantial risk.

• Like 1

He’s too frail and skinny his arm isnt going to last, Red Sox just gave out a bad contract in my biased opinion 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The scary thing was the precipitous velo drop per inning - meaning he’s either hurt or isn’t at full endurance yet

I’m hoping it’s an endurance issue because he only pitched 9 innings in pre season. 

He had tests on his shoulder and they say he’s fine but this was not how I envisioned him starting the season. 

3 minutes ago, rhg1084 said:

He’s too frail and skinny his arm isnt going to last, Red Sox just gave out a bad contract in my biased opinion 

This has been said about him for years.

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

And he’s never lasted a full season, now he’s older and has a lot on miles on his arm. I think we’ve seen peak Chris Sale already 

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

This. Since he first got moved out of the Pen by CWS. Yet here is still pitching.

Sale reminds me of Tim Linececum. An elite skinny lefty who completely fell off a cliff once he started compiling some miles on his arm

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, rhg1084 said:

And he’s never lasted a full season, now he’s older and has a lot on miles on his arm. I think we’ve seen peak Chris Sale already 

Four of the past seven seasons he had over 200 IP in addition to a 190, a 170, and a 150. 

Facts, bro. 

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Would you rather be 6'6 and skinny like Sale, or be a 6'6 Bartolo Colon?  

As a pitcher?  Bartolo.

As a civilian at the bar on the prowl?  Sale.

10 minutes ago, rhg1084 said:

Sale reminds me of Tim Linececum. An elite skinny lefty who completely fell off a cliff once he started compiling some miles on his arm

I appreciate your ability to increase the heat on even the hottest of hot takes.

What makes you feel this way other than them both being skinny?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rhg1084 said:

Sale reminds me of Randy Johnson, who lasted forever. 

The fact of the matter is no one knows when Sale's (or any other pitcher's) demise will come. If you own Sale, you can't do anything. This may have just been a bad start and dominance will ensue. Or last year's finish was a portent for a bad 2019. Too early to tell, but inaction is required of his owners and action by his opportunistic prospective owners.  

• Like 1

Anyone trade him yet?

What tier of players would you target?

• Haha 1

And, oh yeah, Lincecum wasn't lefthanded. Randy Johnson is the best concern-assuaging comp I can conjure. Visualize it, like Johnson, Sale is a lanky lefty who slings heat and devastating sliders. I was always astounded at just how old Randy Johnson was during the best years of his career with the Diamondbacks. It lends hope Sale can be as enduring. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clarkevii said:

Anyone trade him yet?

What tier of players would you target?

It's a bad idea to trade him at this point. Don't get me wrong -- this is not the first start any of us wanted to see but the best course of action is to stand pat and pray for a rebound next go round. 

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

Four of the past seven seasons he had over 200 IP in addition to a 190, a 170, and a 150. 

Facts, bro. 

And look at his numbers in August and September during all those seasons, it skyrockets... Like Sale, but he's 6'6 170 pounds, he's just not built to throw 230 innings and be as strong as he was in April, and the results prove that.

Alright so I’m panicking a little more then I was earlier 

I’m thinking about the possibilities here. 

Is it an endurance issue or is he hurt?

i don’t know how he could be hurt though. He had all off season to rest and MRI’s revealed no structural damage. The Sox seemed comfortable enough to sign him to an extension but that doesn’t mean they made the right move. I’d think they would take a good look at his injury before doing that. 

His next start should be interesting 

Ok so this irritates me. This blurb is from rotoworld, at the very end it says " but the Red Sox may consider pushing him back a day after Thursday’s debacle."

Where does this info come from? Who indicated he's potentially being pushed back? Has this been determined, or mentioned anywhere among the Red Sox brass?

Chris Sale fared disastrously in his season debut, yielding six hits and seven runs over three miserable innings as the Red Sox fell to Seattle.

He struck out four, walked two and also hit a batter over 76 pitches. Appearing for the first time since signing a five-year, $145 million extension, the Mariners ate Sale alive, capitalizing on the left-hander’s complete lack of command. Sale didn’t show much confidence in his heater, which topped out at a pedestrian (at least relative to his usual standards) 94 mph. The seven-time All-Star struck out the side in the first but quickly unraveled after that, serving up three homers including two to Tim Beckham, who has never been touted for his power. Sale is tentatively lined up to face Oakland on Tuesday but the Red Sox may consider pushing him back a day after Thursday’s debacle.

Mar 28, 2019, 11:09 PM

I get the image in my head of his agent being on subways, trains and any other means to exit the country with all the cash he stole from the Red Sox.  But then when the image wears off I think he will be fine.  But it could be a slow build up in April.  Keep in mind coming off the WS a few years ago Corey Kluber got battered around in April, they shoved him on DL.  And he came back and posted a 2.25 ERA on the season.  And he missed an entire month of baseball.  It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.  

42 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Alright so I’m panicking a little more then I was earlier 

I’m thinking about the possibilities here. 

Is it an endurance issue or is he hurt?

i don’t know how he could be hurt though. He had all off season to rest and MRI’s revealed no structural damage. The Sox seemed comfortable enough to sign him to an extension but that doesn’t mean they made the right move. I’d think they would take a good look at his injury before doing that. 

His next start should be interesting 

He had a bad game. Period.

• Like 2

He says he is healthy and obviously upset with himself about the game. 

After the first inning, Sale struggled mightily with both command and velocity. His fastball velocity went from 92.7 mph in the first inning to 91.8 in the second and 91.9 in the third, and he was all over the place with his pitches, mainly his fastball and slider

After the game, Sale didn’t exactly mince words.

“Our guys put us in a pretty good situation early in the game to succeed, to help us win,” Sale said, as seen on NESN’s Red Sox postgame coverage, “I personally did everything I could to mess that up.

“Just couldn’t keep the ball in the ballpark and command was pretty bad.”

Sale did make clear that he felt healthy and did feel fine during warmups.

It’s understandable to wonder if a limited spring training for Sale, who tossed just nine Grapefruit League innings, played a role in the slow start, but he wasn’t buying that. And, of course, that decision to hold him and the other starters back was to preserve them after a long postseason run in 2018.