6Time

Keon Broxton 2019 Outlook

If he is an everyday player, he’s a nice sleeper pick for the power/speed combo. The problem is I don’t know that the Mets will commit to him with Lagares’ defense 

• Like 1

Broxton is a plus defender. So that shouldn't be the issue. Broxton just needs to out hit him.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t be surprised to see not-quite full time ABs for Broxton. Still, 400 AB could yield “close to” 20-20, which is valuable late in a draft, even with the bad AVG. 

• Like 1

He does have the power and speed to be a very useful player. it certainly looks like he has a better chance with the Mets  and likely should be monitor as we head into spring training and the season!

If he can cut down on the strikeouts some, a sleeper with playing time.

• Like 1

Keon has a 36.5% K% in MLB. He's gonna have to cut down on that if he wants significant playing time. Although, I do love his overall athleticism and his HR and SB abilities. 

• Like 1

Well Lagares cannot stay healthy so Broxton should get plenty of AB. I believe that's also the reason the Mets made the trade, they can't count on Lagares to be healthy for 100+ games. 

Lagares doesn't need to hit to be valuable though. He was a 2.3 fWAR player in 2014 despite being well below average at the plate. It's going to be interesting to see who will get the starting job to start the season (assuming both are healthy).

5 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Well Lagares cannot stay healthy so Broxton should get plenty of AB. I believe that's also the reason the Mets made the trade, they can't count on Lagares to be healthy for 100+ games. 

Lagares doesn't need to hit to be valuable though. He was a 2.3 fWAR player in 2014 despite being well below average at the plate. It's going to be interesting to see who will get the starting job to start the season (assuming both are healthy).

Broxton is also a good defender in CF.  So the Mets don't lose much in defense, while potentially picking up an upgrade on offense by using Broxton.

• Like 2

Broxton is a defensive replacement/pinch runner. He can't hit. He just has no idea at the plate and guesses. Good 5th OF on back of MLB roster.

• Like 1

Sounds like McNeil is going to transition to full time OF this year to start against RHP.  So much for Broxton having any value this year.  I was hoping he could be a cheap source of 10-15 HR and 15-20 SB.  

• Like 1

I just saw that about McNeil.  A lot can happen, but not good news for Broxton's PT.

Opening for Broxton?  Lagares struggled all Spring, (did have a HR in the last game or 2nd to last) and has not done well offensively to open the season. Today's game will hopefully give him some more PT. 

This guy is a legit monster. He'll go 25/25 easy if they let him play every day. I can deal with his 230 average. 

• Like 1

6 months ago tomorrow, I posted, "Anyone thing Broxton can break out with the Mets?

Now, Does anyone think he can breakout with the Orioles? 

• Like 1

The guy just had an 0-3 3K's game. He still has major issues at the plate. He's batting in the bottom 3 of a bad lineup in the Orioles. He even sat on Sunday so they can give Wilkerson a look. A. not sure he truly plays every day. B. This series is a nice matchup for him @ Texas but I feel like when he's not facing trash pitching staffs, he'll go on long long droughts at the plate. If you can deal with the streakyness he's worth it for leagues that have 5 OF's. Especially if you need SB's and are more of an OPS league rather then a batting average league. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

The guy just had an 0-3 3K's game. He still has major issues at the plate. He's batting in the bottom 3 of a bad lineup in the Orioles. He even sat on Sunday so they can give Wilkerson a look. A. not sure he truly plays every day. B. This series is a nice matchup for him @ Texas but I feel like when he's not facing trash pitching staffs, he'll go on long long droughts at the plate. If you can deal with the streakyness he's worth it for leagues that have 5 OF's. Especially if you need SB's and are more of an OPS league rather then a batting average league. 

Well he's hitting around 270 with 2 HR and 3 steals in 30 ab since joining the orioles. Last time he got a meaningful number of ab he wenr 20/20 in only 414 ab. The average will be low, but the power and steals is guaranteed as long as he is allowed to play. 

1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

Well he's hitting around 270 with 2 HR and 3 steals in 30 ab since joining the orioles. Last time he got a meaningful number of ab he wenr 20/20 in only 414 ab. The average will be low, but the power and steals is guaranteed as long as he is allowed to play. 

I understand that. But does that 20/20 come with .210 average, ridiculous K's, and .700-.725 OPS? Or does it come with .260 avg, and .800 OPS. He's very difficult to predict. And isn't in a prime spot for huge counting stats batting in the bottom 3 in Baltimore. Also, because they're just experimenting around with young players, it's no gaurantee he plays every day consistently. Especially if he has a week where he has 6 games of nothing with a ton of K's. Just saying to temper your expectations. "legit monster" is a bit over stated. 

The manager came out implicitly states that Broxton would play every day. He's been true to that. Only 1 day off since Broxton joined the team. I think this will be his breakout year. 

Had to pick him up today as a replacement for McCutchen in a deep league. So far so good I guess but I have 0 confidence in him long term.