Flyman75

Devonta Freeman 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

We'll have to see if the Falcons let Coleman walk or if they re-sign him. Even if they let him walk, you have to figure the Falcons will sign or draft a Coleman look-a-like. So what does that mean for Devonta Freeman next season? If the Falcons had made the playoffs, I figure they would have activated him off the IR, so he should be able to fully participate in all offseason stuff and be 100 percent ready for 2019. 

He'll be 27 at the start of the 2019 season. Do we think he comes back to claim his lead back role...will he be able to approach his 2015-16 seasons? His touches went from 338-281-232 in 2015-17 before the foot injury in 2018. If he is fully recovered, then I think we can expect 275-300 touches in a full 16 game season...maybe 220-240 carries and 50-60 receptions? If he matched his career averages, that would put him a shade over 1,400 yards. 

What numbers are you guys looking for from him? And what round would you expect to be drafting him in 2019? 

Edited by Flyman75

I think he’s very talented but probably is dnd for me if he’s going in the 3rd or early 4th.   He’s had a very hard time staying healthy and he’s a pretty violent runner.  

1 hour ago, PackersFan1979 said:

I would not be surprised to see Atlanta draft a RB

the falcons are certainly not relying on jeremy langford for depth. they will draft an RB, with the only question being where, early or late. freeman doesn't just have a contract, he has a mega-contract through 2022 (though i think the falcons can opt out in 2020 if they don't mind eating $6 million). they have every reason to run freeman into the ground, and if he maintains his health (big if), i'd expect ito smith to be COP only (he will not be the 1b to freeman's 1a).

we haven't seen much of freeman in the past two years, but the two years previous ('15 / '16) he averaged 1000 rushing / 500 receiving and 63 receptions and 11 TDs. different coordination, different offense, healthier freeman, but freeman still has the talent. can't see drafting him (or fournette, or dalvin cook, or any RB with elevated injury risk) unless his price is drastically reduced: it's risk vs reward economics. because of his receiving skills, freeman could easily be RB5-RB10 at season's end, or he could play two games, sprain his plumbus, and spend the season watching ito smith fall down.

backfoot.0.gif

The contract is what is going to hurt the Falcons. Ito showed flashes, but then he got hurt. The falcons have addressed the line, but still should upgrade it during the draft. This would be a team, I wouldn't be surprised if we read Josh Jacobs.

57 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

spacer.png

Haha. Injuries are Freeman's biggest issue, not the lack of running lanes. Obviously talent on the oline helps but I'm worried about his injury history.

2 early picks on OL and Freeman’s adp is lowest it’s been in years. Ya I’ll be all over this guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

2 early picks on OL and Freeman’s adp is lowest it’s been in years. Ya I’ll be all over this guy

Ah, damn, can’t edit. But I forgot to mention no Coleman to steal his touches. Both backups appear to be a**. If you think freeman's just destined to get injured every year then stay away I guess bc he should see an uptick in touches 

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

when freeman fell to the early 3rd round last season, and i snatched him up, i knew he was going to lead me into the playoffs. took him all over the place, including best ball. oh how young i was.

my two teams that made it to their championships did not have freeman.

he's at 3.12 today in half-PPR. like him better one round later. but if he plays 16 games, he's pushing for top 7 RB.

also of note, no discernible handcuff at this time.

In FFC right now he goes before a lot of guys I like better-  Henry, Aaron Jones, Sony, Kerryon, and Ingram.   If he slides past them, and its a shallow league, then i'll consider it.   I can easily get a good RB3 in a 10 team league, and waivers will be fruitful if he flops.  I dont feel i can mitigate the risk as well in a 12 or 14 teamer.