Homerj24

Wil Myers 2019 Outlook

Rebound season for him? He was providing good HR/SB numbers the previous couple of seasons without really killing you anywhere. Still in the prime years of his career and should be in the middle of the Padre lineup again. 

Bit of a BA risk for only mid 20's HR potential.  20ish SB potential makes up for it though.  Not someone I will target, but if he slips much must his ADP (currently 120 at NFBC) I will grab, especially if I'm in a situation where I'm solid at BA, but need a power/speed bat.

5 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Bit of a BA risk for only mid 20's HR potential.  20ish SB potential makes up for it though.  Not someone I will target, but if he slips much must his ADP (currently 120 at NFBC) I will grab, especially if I'm in a situation where I'm solid at BA, but need a power/speed bat.

If he hits 0.250, which should be possible, he's not going to kill you. 

Good sleeper, qualifies at 3B and OF.  Health is always the key with him, if he's healthy should put up numbers.

23 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Good sleeper, qualifies at 3B and OF.  Health is always the key with him, if he's healthy should put up numbers.

Also 1B on Yahoo.

Love the 3B eligibility - which if he plays most of the year will be a great value of having a 20-20 guy, could push 30 30 if things break right.   Really streaky hitter, so tends to frustrate those in the head to head game, will have ridiculously hot stretches coupled with ice cold stretches.  

Being a little undervalued this year:

* Injury narrative - he had been someone early in career with this label, then played two straight seasons of 155+ games that tamped that down a bit, but now seems back, which is fine. 

* Batting avg - although its not that bad.

Probably for me the issue is whats around him, three years ago he was 90+ in Runs and RBI in his breakout year, but then dropped to more the 75-80 range the following year.  Kind of wish he was 1B eligible, to me its a little worse at 1B than 3B. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also 1B on Yahoo.

Really?  he played 2 games there last year.  

34 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also 1B on Yahoo.

Yahoo 2019 eligibility has yet to be updated.  This will be updated when they open fantasy baseball back up in about a month.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, parrothead said:

Really?  he played 2 games there last year.  

Yeah he had only 2 starts at 1B.  You are totally right.  Me bad.  I was thinking three positions next season but it is 3B/LF/RF since I own him in a league where they go with the three different outfield positions.  Sorry. 

He had 9 starts and 10 appearances in RF so he qualifies both ways via Yahoo rules which are 5 starts OR 10 apperances.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I'm starting to think Padres hitters have whiff issues because of the organization and not because of talent. Eric Hosmer's K% rate spike last year started to make me think that way. Have they changed hitting coaches recently?

4 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

If he hits 0.250, which should be possible, he's not going to kill you. 

Was looking at Steamer projection which peg him at .240.  That might be a little pessimistic, but he is only a .253 career hitter (about .248 if you leave out his debut year).  

45 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

I'm starting to think Padres hitters have whiff issues because of the organization and not because of talent. Eric Hosmer's K% rate spike last year started to make me think that way. Have they changed hitting coaches recently?

Yep - gonna be their 3rd coach in 3 years.  Last year it was Matt Stairs, who was in the position for just 1 season.   The new coach was an internal hire who has been on the staff a few seasons, so not sure there is going to be a drastic philosophical change.  

• Like 1

Will Myers will return to the outfield for the 2019 season.

Myers switched to third base in August of last season and ended up playing 36 games at that position. He told reporters at the Padres' fan fest that he and the team decided to end that experiment, although he could fill in at third occasionally if needed. He batted .253/.318/.446 with 11 homers, 39 RBI and 13 steals in 83 games. He is a rare five-category fantasy contributor when healthy, with batting average (.253 career mark) being his weakest attribute.

56 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

Will Myers will return to the outfield for the 2019 season.

Myers switched to third base in August of last season and ended up playing 36 games at that position. He told reporters at the Padres' fan fest that he and the team decided to end that experiment, although he could fill in at third occasionally if needed. He batted .253/.318/.446 with 11 homers, 39 RBI and 13 steals in 83 games. He is a rare five-category fantasy contributor when healthy, with batting average (.253 career mark) being his weakest attribute.

Well, that muddies up the OF situation in SD now.  Myers, Cordero, Reyes, Renfroe, and Margot

Just now, beauso79 said:

Well, that muddies up the OF situation in SD now.  Myers, Cordero, Reyes, Renfroe, and Margot

Those guys will get PT because when Myers is in the outfield he ends up on the DL for half the season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His ADP right now is a steal if everything goes right and he plays a full season. His 16' and 17' numbers would be a bargain. But I am not confident he can stay healthy in the OF. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ry34No said:

His ADP right now is a steal if everything goes right and he plays a full season. His 16' and 17' numbers would be a bargain. But I am not confident he can stay healthy in the OF. 

He won't stay healthy in the OF. This news is awful to hear. Welcome to the DND list Wil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

He won't stay healthy in the OF. This news is awful to hear. Welcome to the DND list Wil.

I was really hoping he stuck at third base but that was unlikely. 

This comes down to the Hosmer signing.  Wil was doing just fine playing first but the Padres had to go out and give $150 mil to one of the most overrated players in baseball. Hosmer is a bum and such a waste of money. 

I hate Myers in the OF. 

21 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I was really hoping he stuck at third base but that was unlikely. 

This comes down to the Hosmer signing.  Wil was doing just fine playing first but the Padres had to go out and give $150 mil to one of the most overrated players in baseball. Hosmer is a bum and such a waste of money. 

I hate Myers in the OF. 

Yeah, I didnt really get that one, other than sometimes you need to bite the bullet when you are an up and coming team.  Myers should of been locked in at 1B, if anything they could of signed Moose to play 3B instead of Hosmer.  

Which combo is better:

Myers, Hosmer, Ty France?

Myers, Moustakas, Franmil Reyes?

Especially for team who struggles to hit the long ball?  Who struggles to score runs?  

• Like 1

Myers will be 28 years old on Opening Day, the lineup just got a lot better with Machado. Also locks him into an OF spot instead of 3B. Myers should be in the 2-4 lineup spot throughout the year, so given health (which is a big if after this year) he should have a pretty good opportunity for 80 + R and RBI and 20 + HR and SB. Could be a 4 category guy eligible at 3B and OF.

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What do you guys see Myers' ADP as right now? 

113 on NFBC, 105 on ESPN, 94 on Yahoo. Pretty wide range. All prior to trade.

Myers is a classic category filling, AVG/OBP draining, injury-prone headache.  I just can't get behind buying into this potential dumpster fire when the ceiling is .260/.340.  He's only played a full season 1/3rd of the time.  So you're gambling and it's not looking like a good bet unless you get a bunch of high AVG/OBP guys early (Freeman/Altuve/Rendon, etc).  Even then, I'd rather gamble on Ramon Laureano 80 picks after Myers. 

• Like 3