Homerj24

Francisco Mejia 2019 Outlook

I'm trying to sell. I don't buy the approach or skills fully, and think his inconsistency + playing time will be a headache.
Fortunately, there seems to be a lot of keeper interest, so I'm on the verge of dumping Mejia+Kimbrel for Astudillo and a decent SP. 

48 minutes ago, Motorcat117 said:

He is already gone in any legitimate leagues

He got dropped in a 14 team league I’m in, there will be impatient owners out there who won’t keep him around it he isn’t playing/producing. I’d rather wait it out and hope to get him on waivers than draft him. 

• Like 1

This is my first year in a daily lineup-change league. My pre-draft strategy was to pair Mejia with another late-round catcher, maybe Alfaro, and swap them in and out depending on the Padres lineup. I think Mejia will hit when he plays, so I think it's a reasonable approach in such a league if you are willing to burn a bench spot.

My primary league (which hasn't drafted yet) only allows weekly changes, so I may stay away there.

^Might as well pair Mejia and Hedges if Mejia+Alfaro was your plan, going with the SD duo guarantees you 600 at bats and 162 games from your catching. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

^Might as well pair Mejia and Hedges if Mejia+Alfaro was your plan, going with the SD duo guarantees you 600 at bats and 162 games from your catching. 

That's certainly true. I was less confident about Hedges, especially since this is an OBP league.  I drafted Hedges his rookie year, and he was awesome, but I'd need to see him bounce back a little first.  I know this isn't a Hedges thread, but let me add that what was really crazy that year was that he'd go 2-25, and then the next week he'd hit five HRs, then he'd go 3-18 again.  So owners in weekly leagues who benched him because he had been in a recent slump would literally have gotten NOTHING from him all season.

Sometimes I use the strategy of leaving my catcher spot open. There are very few catchers out there that will give you any decent numbers; the others are a drain on your BA/OBP.

With Mejia, I think it will be different. I'm hoping he will give us Owners a little bit of everything. He certainly has the skill set.

Posted (edited)

I drafted Mejia in the 25th round last year and can keep him every year for a two round penalty until he reaches the 5th round. So I can keep him for around 9-10 years lol.. What do you guys think??

Edited by Stugots119

11 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I'm trying to sell. I don't buy the approach or skills fully, and think his inconsistency + playing time will be a headache.
Fortunately, there seems to be a lot of keeper interest, so I'm on the verge of dumping Mejia+Kimbrel for Astudillo and a decent SP. 

Me too in a dynasty, but not much interest in my league.  People are just kinda meh on him.

I don't really see the point of him in the majors right now. He won't develop or hit sitting on the bench. Pretty classic developmental catch-22. 

I really like this kid but the lack of consistent PT is clearly hurting his development.....either play him or trade him at this point....poor job by SD

• Like 1

what are we supposed to do about this guy, he has been so bad although management has been worse in his development is this a late season breakout hold or is it a any minute breakout hold or is it a straight drop and don't look back

46 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

what are we supposed to do about this guy, he has been so bad although management has been worse in his development is this a late season breakout hold or is it a any minute breakout hold or is it a straight drop and don't look back

Drop and don’t look back. Hedges has been better to date hitting and is getting rave reviews for the way he’s working with this young staff. Plus he’s worlds better defensively

at best you get 60 games of sporadic at bats from him

• Thanks 1

Batting 545 on his rehab stint... any hope when he comes back or lost season

17 hours ago, hard1 said:

Batting 545 on his rehab stint... any hope when he comes back or lost season

I think they like Hedges' work behind the plate, poor average and all, and Mejia is not known for his catching ability.  He's a bat first player.  If his defense hasn't improved, then at best it's a time share.

Just called back up. Wonder what his playing time will look like. He was on fire.

13 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Just called back up. Wonder what his playing time will look like. He was on fire.

about how it was before

• Like 1

I hope it's time... so I can stop messing with other catchers 

Homerun on Tuesday. 

The Padres are somehow .500, but that won't last (-33 RD). Once they fall out of the race you have to figure they are going to give him a chance to really run with it. 

Second start in a row, and batting 6th. I hope he has another good one.

It might be time for a flyer with catcher being such a wasteland.

I think we're seeing a resurgence here, his performance right now is what I was betting on when I drafted him.

Padres are clearly riding this as a potential breakout giving him near every day starts... fantasy owners might as well follow suit.  Nothing to lose for most fantasy owners. 

1 hour ago, bluefrogguy said:

Padres are clearly riding this as a potential breakout giving him near every day starts... fantasy owners might as well follow suit.  Nothing to lose for most fantasy owners. 

Yup. He should be owned and started everywhere IMO. Too much potential here.