Sign in to follow this  
lvsaint429

2019 Coaching Carousel

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

This time last year, he had been fired by Texas Tech. You don't believe he could have been talked out of unemployment and into an NFL HC job? Least appealing or not, it would have been a HC job. 

We're moving two different bars which makes this conversation difficult.

The point is that they could NOT have gotten a coach they WANTED this time last year as easily, because their job was unappealing. They had a much greater opportunity with a much more enticing job to select the HC they wanted. Whether or not they filled it in with the right guy-- whether or not their evaluation of the coaches' talents was accurate-- is another question entirely. They had the organizational intrigue to make the move they wanted to make, and I think it's the right decision to move on and look for a new HC.

But again, whether or not they chose right is another issue entirely. 

8 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Why won't anyone give Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, Steve Wilks, or Vance Joesph a second chance?

*fixed

9 hours ago, BrianM said:

Has anyone outside of Hue and Vance Joseph been even linked to Cincy?  Or are they just waiting on everyone else to fill their openings so Mike Brown can lowball his mediocre choice.  

....is the winning answer.

ding ding ding

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Why won't anyone give Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, Steve Wilks, or Vance Joesph a shot?

I think Bowles is being hired as Arians' DC in Tampa. That's a pretty good start to BA's staff, imo. 

48 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I think Bowles is being hired as Arians' DC in Tampa. That's a pretty good start to BA's staff, imo. 

He's talking HC openings

3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Why won't anyone give Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, Steve Wilks, or Vance Joesph a shot?

Would you give Hue Jackson a shot?

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Would you give Hue Jackson a shot?

Would anyone give Gase another shot?

Holy carp. Poor Jets.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure Gase is a bad hire. He overachieved every season in Miami with a depleted roster and no legitimate QB. He knows offense. Either way both McCarthy and Gase were stubborn in their use of their RB's for whatever reason.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Would anyone give Gase another shot?

Holy carp. Poor Jets.

I would before 3-36-1

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

*fixed

Hue would be 3rd chance, he was head coach in Oakland fired after 1 season by new GM Reggie McKenzie. 

The NFL is a copy cat league, but whats weird is that its usually about trying to copy success and not a lot of Super Bowls have been won by the young hot offensive mind who has taken over.  I mean sure McVay turned around the Rams, but they also had a pretty big talent infusion brought in a solid defensive coordinator coming off a SB victory.  

Most of the hires have been OC or offensive minded guys.  Obviously you have the Rooney Rule, but if a team is looking for offensive play-caller OC type that to me is where there seems to be a HUGE gap.  And if you want to talk copycat, the most SB winning coach of all time was a re-tread defensive coach.  

Edited by parrothead

I'm absolutely livid that they wouldn't let Rhule hire his own staff which is why they went with Gase. I just hope we didn't F this up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

I still don't get the Steve Wilks firing after 1 season. What were the Cards expecting from him after just 1 season and that roster?

He inherited an 8-8 team and turned them into a laughingstock. Plus his hiring of McCoy was beyond disastrous, and the defense (his specialty) was a joke. That's how you get fired.

4 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Bowles is the only one who doesn't suck.  He'll get another HC shot after he turns the TB D around.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not sure Gase is a bad hire. He overachieved every season in Miami with a depleted roster and no legitimate QB. He knows offense. Either way both McCarthy and Gase were stubborn in their use of their RB's for whatever reason.

As far as Gase knowing offense, this is the refrain I often read/hear (not just here on this board either, as that is the conception in many places). I took a look at the stats for his most high-profile jobs to see if this is true...

2007 DET Quarterbacks coach - 16th Points - 19th Yards (Kitna lousy and no better than prior season without Gase)

2011 DEN Quarterbacks coach - 25th Points - 23rd Yards (Tebow & Orton were who we thought they were)

2012--2014 DEN Quarterbacks coach & Offensive Coordinator (yes, this offense did great...but do we think Gase made Peyton or Peyton made Gase?)

2015 CHI Offensive Coordinator - 23rd Points - 21st Yards (Cutler threw less INT's than usual...but less TD's as well)

2016 MIA Head Coach - 17th Points - 24th Yards

2017 MIA Head Coach - 28th Points - 25th Yards

2018 MIA Head Coach - 26th Points - 31st Yards

So overall when Gase didn't have a quarterback (Peyton) who is somewhere within the Top 5 QB's of all time, the four other teams were all mediocre-to-bad offensively. Is that all Gase's fault? No (especially in 2017 losing Tannehill, as most teams will struggle losing their QB for the whole season). But I am not sure where he made his offenses all that good either. 

And as you said, his RB usage in 2018 was stubborn (and that's a nice way to put it). 

I'm a Jets fan and think it was a bad hire. I hope Gase can prove me wrong. 

Edited by Corleone

14 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:
I'm absolutely livid that they wouldn't let Rhule hire his own staff which is why they went with Gase. I just hope we didn't F this up.

I agree 100%. 

McCarthy developed Aaron Rodgers. Gase "developed" Ryan Tannehill.

Bad choice imo.

Edited by SuperJoint

I learned something new in this article, Jim Caldwell was actually a good coach and underrated

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-jim-caldwell-defense-lions-20190105-story.html

Peyton Manning, who averaged 20 interceptions his first five years, has regularly praised Caldwellfor his valuable role in his early development as his quarterbacks coach. As head coach, they went to the Super Bowl in their very first year after only one trip in his first 11 years. As Ravens offensive coordinator, he also won a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco in their first year. And then there is Matt Stafford:

83.1 with 24-37 record for Stafford before Caldwell 

93.7 with 36-28 record for Stafford with Caldwell 

After years of continuous improvement under Caldwell, Quinn messed with a great thing. Stafford posted his highest career passer rating of 99.3 in 2017. This year, it regressed back to 89.9, and the Lions offense dropped from 7th to 25th despite the key addition of rookie running back Kerryon Johnson.

2014-2017 Coach Record, and Total # of Pro Bowlers

32-32 - John Harbaugh - 18 Pro Bowlers

32-32 - Sean Payton - 13 Pro Bowlers

36-28 - Jim Caldwell - 7 Pro Bowlers (31st fewest in NFL)

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I learned something new in this article, Jim Caldwell was actually a good coach and underrated

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-jim-caldwell-defense-lions-20190105-story.html

Peyton Manning, who averaged 20 interceptions his first five years, has regularly praised Caldwellfor his valuable role in his early development as his quarterbacks coach. As head coach, they went to the Super Bowl in their very first year after only one trip in his first 11 years. As Ravens offensive coordinator, he also won a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco in their first year. And then there is Matt Stafford:

After years of continuous improvement under Caldwell, Quinn messed with a great thing. Stafford posted his highest career passer rating of 99.3 in 2017. This year, it regressed back to 89.9, and the Lions offense dropped from 7th to 25th despite the key addition of rookie running back Kerryon Johnson.

Dude - that is just a bridge too far for me.

Of course Caldwell cuts down on INTs. He calls games like a robot with a governor. Caldwell gets eaten alive in today's NFL in ever-so-humble-opinion.

• Like 1

McCarthy strikes me as a guy who probably doesn't interview all that well.

He's not a Mensa member, let's face it, and he's been on complete cruise control with zero pressure -- to win, or innovate -- for the last seven-plus years. Hard to believe he's going to knock anyone's socks off in an interview.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I want to see more coaches, and I'm also not entirely convinced of the causation here. I mean, isn't a great coach also supposed to make players better? But I liked the article, and I liked this stat:

23-41 - USA Today

29-35 - CBS Sports

32-32 - ESPN

36-28 - Jim Caldwell’s Record

To be honest, I'm also not entirely convinced that the so-called experts are actually any good, but to consistently outperform expectations has to be a good thing.

3 hours ago, devaster said:

I'm not sure Gase is a bad hire. He overachieved every season in Miami with a depleted roster and no legitimate QB. 

Just like Bowles.

I don't mind them hiring Gase, he got the best out of what he had in Chicago and Denver when he was OC.  It certainly could have been worse. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dashoe said:

I've been saying this for years. DET is getting what it deserves for firing him.

8 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Dude - that is just a bridge too far for me.

Of course Caldwell cuts down on INTs. He calls games like a robot with a governor. Caldwell gets eaten alive in today's NFL in ever-so-humble-opinion.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your preconceived opinion.