Ffguy0087

Mike Evans 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, peleincubus said:

So Evans is over whatever sickness he had? I only watched a bit of the game but I saw him with his head down twice with trainers on the sideline during the game. I presume it had to make an impact on his performance in the first game.

Of course it did. They reported on Friday that he had a virus. Maybe it was the 48 hour variety. He should be feeling like his normal self now. 

On 9/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, dlionsfan901 said:

I’m playing him.  I have him and Chris Godwin.  I’m going to just roll with the punches.  Am I feeling confident? Nope not at all.  Feel like they will both have mediocre games like 4-55 no TD’s. 

Sane here, I’m not feeling too good going into this one and being 0-1 already. 

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Lol I don’t have the balls to bench Mike Evans for a Buffalo Bills receiver. Good luck to you.

I mean, it's the NYG. Not worried. If Evans falters tonight, it will be on Winston as usual.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, GangGreen89 said:

We didn't draft Winston(Maybe some of you did) We drafted Evans. Winston can turn the ball 6x a game for all I care and we knew this would happen but the truth is he has history with Evans and has shown to target him in the past. I would be concerned if any other average Joe was the head coach for the bucs but this is the Bruce Arians show now and his teams have always made the adjustments to get his key players involved. Winston shouldn't concern you. You drafted Evans 2nd/3rd to play him. Thinking about benching him is beyond me. 

I drafted him in both my leagues and I benched him this week in both of them.

Bad weather, bad CB matchup, bad week 1 offense performance, 4 day turnaround from said bad performance, new coaching staff, inconsistent QB play... What's "beyond me" is that we can analyze things but say "I drafted him round 2, so nothing else I analyzed matters."

So what happens if he blows up on my bench? I get NEW confirmation that I can use for the next 10-13 weeks as a happy Mike Evans owner.

For clarity, I'm not down on Mike Evans R-O-S and I would trade FOR him after week 2 if I didn't already have him. I'm just never afraid to bench "studs" early in the season when I have multiple reasons to do it. Now is the time to be ahead of trends and then self-correct in the next few weeks, instead of being married to draft position and 2018 season production. 

At the end of the day, I'm rooting for him to have a good game, even though he is on my bench. My process is sound, but I'd honestly love if he showed some spark going into week 3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Faded him again tonight. Weather, short week, DB matchup, etc. I'll live w the consequences if he goes nuts and if he doesn't I'll chalk it up to the reasons above. If he busts week three, I'm going to pray there's one guy in my league that's still enamored with him. 

• Like 5

Better performance. Still left a lot of points on the table though. But definitely reassuring that Evans will be putting up points this season and last week was just an outlier 

• Like 1

He dropped a TD I believe.  He was facing a brutal matchup.  He did well given the matchup.  Obviously we expect better but better days are coming especially next week against the Giants.  

• Like 1

He's the wr2 on a team with a seemingly improved defense and a bottom tier QB.  Until defenses adjust and roll coverage to Godwin, RIP your draft pick

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Confident moving forward. 8 targets to Godwin 9. Obviously as of now Godwin is the better draft value but Evans will get his. With a TD were singing a different tune 

1 minute ago, Mr Rourke said:

He's the wr2 on a team with a seemingly improved defense and a bottom tier QB.  Until defenses adjust and roll coverage to Godwin, RIP your draft pick

He was targeted in the end zone multiple times. You can’t predict TD’s. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

He was targeted in the end zone multiple times. You can’t predict TD’s. 

I own both Mike Evans and Godwin.  I watched the whole game and I can second this.  He was targeted numerous times in the end zone.  He catches one of those TDs and his statline is a lot better.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

Confident moving forward. 8 targets to Godwin 9. Obviously as of now Godwin is the better draft value but Evans will get his. With a TD were singing a different tune 

While a TD would’ve been great the draft value is killing most of us . It clearly looks like Godwin is the guy to own in this offense .  I drafted Evans for WR1 value in the second round and he’s killing me and the future doesn’t look bright. 

Im now going to have to play matchups with my bench players for a second round pick . If I can’t trade him . Hopefully I’m wrong . 

Edited by HurryupO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HurryupO said:

While a TD would’ve been great the draft value is killing most of us . It clearly looks like Godwin is the guy to own in this offense .  I drafted Evans for WR1 value in the second round and he’s killing me and the future doesn’t look bright. 

Im now going to have to play matchups with my bench players for a second round pick . If I can’t trade him . Hopefully I’m wrong . 

No, because when bye-weeks and the inevitable injuries kick in, you won't have that luxury.  

2 hours ago, HurryupO said:

I wished my league mates had concerns about not being able to trade Evans. I’d hold another week but if you must put him on the market I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the offers you get back. 

• Like 1

The guy has had 1000+ yards every year of his career.  He's a physical freak and a stud WR.  He was clearly not 100% last week coming off the illness and he's notorious for performing poorly against the Panthers, yet he was still targeted quite a bit and was put into a position for a big night with multiple end zone targets.  I get people that faded him last night, but anyone who is panicking needs to pump the brakes big time before they make a silly trade.  Conversely, if the owner of Evans in your league is panicking, it's time to pounce ladies and gents! 

Edited by jmoney23
  • Like 1

Was frustrating to watch last night, and he was clearly frustrated.

The TD he "dropped" while not a very good throw, was something Mike could've caught.  It wasn't like it was an easy catch, though.  Then later in the game Evans broke out to the sideline around the 3 yard line and was wide open and Winston threw him another trash ball.  Could've easily been 2 TDs there.

My question after watching this game is what kind of route trees are we running here? Evans seems to have two: Fade, go route.  How about some slants? He ran one slant and he's do damn big there's no way a DB can get around him.  

Edited by Mustangt125

Not worried about Evans this season.  He’s still shaking off the rust, and he was targeted enough, including in the end zone, in a low scoring game.  One TD was off his hands, a tough catch but one he can make and would’ve given him 90+ and a TD.  Godwin is playing great and the team is running the ball more effectively so defenses are going to have to soften up on Evans a bit.  And Winston didn’t have a great fantasy game but played a pretty good actual game—much better than last week.  And that’s a good sign for Evans.

We’d love our 2nd round pick to start hot out of the gate, but this stuff happens.  Davante Adams, JuJu, Thielen, Jones, Beckham, a lot of top WRs had mediocre weeks.  Anyone who sells now on Evans is selling low.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about Evans either. He hasn't had a good game against the panthers in a few years, and he had a couple of end zone targets he couldn't come down with this game. It was clear Godwin had the more favorable matchup with Bradberry covering Evans.

The Bucs offense finally got into a rhythm in the second half so hopefully they can carry it over to next week. 

• Like 1

Bucs have their bye week 7, then go @Ten, @Sea, Ari, NO, @Atl, @Jax, Ind, @Det, Hou, Atl to close out the season.  I see a lot of teams there that  don't have a shutdown corner, don't have good secondaries in general, "shoot out" game potential, or some combination of the 3.  They also have the Giants next week too and are @NO in a few weeks, which has high scoring potential for both teams.  On paper Evans has a lot of favorable matchups this year...he has had one so far when he wasn't 100% and last night had one of his toughest ones of the season.

• Like 1

So let's see. Week 1 he had to deal with an illness that obvious affected him. And in week 2, he had to travel on a short week to a division rival (who Evans hardly ever does good against AND probably still had some effects from that illness) where there were thunderstorm delays and a wet field. This is THE best time to buy low on Evans. These were just some unfortunate circumstances for Big Mike. We know what he can do, and now that defenses can't just double Evans with Godwin emerging, he is going to get A LOT of open looks in the future.

13 minutes ago, Castavar said:

So let's see. Week 1 he had to deal with an illness that obvious affected him. And in week 2, he had to travel on a short week to a division rival (who Evans hardly ever does good against AND probably still had some effects from that illness) where there were thunderstorm delays and a wet field. This is THE best time to buy low on Evans. These were just some unfortunate circumstances for Big Mike. We know what he can do, and now that defenses can't just double Evans with Godwin emerging, he is going to get A LOT of open looks in the future.

... add in the fact that the TEs seem to be a yuuuuuuuge after thought (Howard was forecast to take a ton of volume), no proven ootb stud (Dare is there by default, nothing special), a very mediocre running game, and the promise for better days is bright. 

flipside?

Winston is trash, and that D may keep game flow from ever getting too outta hand (as in necessitating more passing).

and Godwin. 

lots to love about the prospects going forward, but ... caveat emptor on the red flags. 

I think as Godwin gets more attention, Evans will get even more opportunities.  Evans almost had a TD last game also.  They have a great matchup with the Giants this week.

Edited by Skip23
  • Like 1