Boudewijn

Jordan Howard 2019 Outlook

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Pretty outstanding landing spot for Howard imo.  A team that actually wants to run and a coach who knows how to make it happen.  So glad he is off the Bears and away from that coach.

I like Howard and hope it shakes out this way, but the Eagles have mixed up their RBs quite a bit too. I am sure a lot of that was due to injury and the players they have had but it's hard to say to what extent that changes with Howard in town. Rooting for him.

how were blount's numbers for the eagles? i suspect howard will have that role.

4 minutes ago, warpster said:

how were blount's numbers for the eagles? i suspect howard will have that role.

I would expect Howard to have more than that role.

Ajayi started hot last year with 3 TD's in his first 2 games, and I thought he might be on his way to a 10-12 TD season.    Howard i would imagine has that same role.  I'm a maybe on him.   I can't recall the Eagles giving a running back more than 15 carries a game on the regular, and Howard's not going to get many targets.   If he really shines, i'm sure they'll lean on him a bit, but he's certainly no lock to do so.   

10 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I would expect Howard to have more than that role.

it's possible, but when he's on the field the defense know they're running. bit more than blount, bit less than ajayi maybe.

Posted (edited)

Howard is pretty talented but wasn't used right/enough by the Bears for the last season and a half or so.  Howard had a breakout rookie season, a decent second season and then the Bears often went away from him in favor of Tarik Cohen last season probably because he didn't fit Matt Nagy's offense that well.  I think that a lot of teams view rb's as very replaceable though so it's not surprising that the Bears were only able to get a 6th rounder for him.

Edited by sjm76

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

It’s a fail move by the bear, unless they had actually received an offer they couldn’t refuse for him.

*Hey, let’s make the team that beat us in the playoffs better at no cost to them”

The Executive of the Year is obviously on spring break with the kids this week.

I have to agree. If this was all you were able to get why not hold onto Howard for one more year? He’s relatively cheap and it’s not like he was horrible last year. When it got cold they started riding Howard more. He looked pretty good to me.  This seems like they made a move just to make a move. 

• Like 1

I only haphazardly searched for this- anyone know of a resource that can show RB carries for all Eagles games, game by game, the last few years?    Wondering how often they gave one back a heavy workload in the Pederson era.   

50 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I only haphazardly searched for this- anyone know of a resource that can show RB carries for all Eagles games, game by game, the last few years?    Wondering how often they gave one back a heavy workload in the Pederson era.   

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2016.htm#

no philly RB has averaged 12 or more carries per game since 2016.

click on "boxscore" to see single game stats.

• Like 1

I'm staying away from drafting all Eagles rb's including Howard in fantasy this year.  Too much of a headache.

• Like 1

The thing is they really haven't had anyone capable of being an everydown back under Pederson, so the claims that the Eagles will never have a runningback capable of RB1 fantasy numbers is somewhat misguided. There will always be some kind of rotation, but I'd be willing to bet that Howard will be a more than serviceable starter for them barring injury.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The thing is they really haven't had anyone capable of being an everydown back under Pederson, so the claims that the Eagles will never have a runningback capable of RB1 fantasy numbers is somewhat misguided.

true, however it could also be said that if they wanted or needed one, they would have found one, but they were always happy with a committee.

Edited by warpster

hard pass in ppr. Pederson runs a rbbc. and hasnt changed that since Ran mathews was injured.. howard is not a pass catching rb so the trade is good for the real team but sux for fantasy. 

• Like 2

236 carries. 995 rushing yards. 11 catches for 68 receiving yards. 8 TDs. 

TD dependent RB3/Flex in 12 team PPR leagues. 

• Like 1

Good for Philly football, not so much for fantasy. Easy pass for me (PPR as I don't play standard.)

The poor guy had eye surgery last offseason to try and improve his receiving game, as he had the worst "drop rate" of RBs with at least 40 targets from 2016-'17 (21.21, with the next closest at RB at 12.77) *we all saw how well that paid off week 1 vs ATL.

Their rb stable right now consists of Howard, Wendell Smallwood, Josh Adams and Corey Clement.  I wouldn't be surprised if they draft someone in the later rounds, too.  All of those guys have talent so it's just too crowded.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Their rb stable right now consists of Howard, Wendell Smallwood, Josh Adams and Corey Clement.

plus maybe sproles.

and do they still have those two small guys? scott and that san diego state guy.

Edited by warpster

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Their rb stable right now consists of Howard, Wendell Smallwood, Josh Adams and Corey Clement.  I wouldn't be surprised if they draft someone in the later rounds, too.  All of those guys have talent so it's just too crowded.

Smallwood and Adams don't have talent. Clement is a decent pass catcher, but that is it. Howard has a good hold of the between the tackles job that Blount and Ajayi had two seasons ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

What's your definition of talent? All those guys are second string backs on almost every other team in the NFL. Smallwood and Adams may very well be 3rd string on numerous teams. Clement is decent but he sure as hell isn't starter material. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nevermind, f'd this up and will repost

Edited by BrianM

Via the PFR link posted above, I tallied the amount of times the Eagles had a back get 15 carries or more in the last 3 years, including playoffs.  in parentheses is 20 carry games

2016:  Mathews 5 (2), Sproles 1, Smallwood 1

2017: Blount 3, Ajayi 3

2018: Adams 3 (2), Ajayi 2, Clement 1,  Smallwood 1,

53 games total including playoffs.  20 had a back with 15+ carries, 4 had a back with 20+ carries

I do agree with the guy that mentioned they really haven't had a back worthy, at least not consistently.    They did seem to use Ajayi more in the limited time he was active.  He hit 15 carries twice in the playoffs, for instance.     

Does it ever snow in Philly?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, warpster said:

it's possible, but when he's on the field the defense know they're running. bit more than blount, bit less than ajayi maybe.

Blount had 8 catches. Do you really expect Howard to have similar numbers?

Edited by hoppychokes

Howard did a decent job as a receiver last year with Chicago.  But he just got very few chances in that department.  Howard is head and shoulders above Smallwood, Clement, and Adams.  Sproles was a very skilled specialty player in his prime, but I will bet against Sproles being healthy and productive at his age.