Lamont Sanford

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

Drop city. [...] Winston is just too unpredictable.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

[...] I told myself coming in that I'd give him 3 weeks to prove to me that he can be my QB1. You were kidding yourself if you didn't think there was a chance that there'd be a learning curve in a complex new offense. People in general overreact to poor Week 1 performances. @CAR then hosting NYG are next on the slate. Can definitely see the Panthers game being a shootout with two 0-1 teams coming into a pseudo must-win divisional game. He's likely my starter for both unless he shows absolutely no improvement against the Panthers on TNF.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

[...] I told myself coming in that I'd give him 3 weeks to prove to me that he can be my QB1. You were kidding yourself if you didn't think there was a chance that there'd be a learning curve in a complex new offense. People in general overreact to poor Week 1 performances. @CAR then hosting NYG are next on the slate. Can definitely see the Panthers game being a shootout with two 0-1 teams coming into a pseudo must-win divisional game. He's likely my starter for both unless he shows absolutely no improvement against the Panthers on TNF.

Unless you're in a huge league, you can't seriously start him on a short week @CAR.  [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed CSB/AC
  • Like 1

Just now, Olliemets said:

It's a 6 point passing TD league which I feel helps him on a team without an establish GL back. 

Other options are Carr, Allen, Darnold, Dalton, Jimmy G, Trubisky.

I still feel he has the highest ceiling of any of these guys (other than maybe Allen). The way I see it, I spent 3 months this summer thinking this guy was a great value and in store for a huge season, and I'm not going to let one abysmal performance change my mind. Two is a trend, one is too early to tell. Maybe I'm arrogant and don't want to admit that I could be wrong (which is probably true), but I'm sticking to my guns for at least one more week.

Agree...I'm giving him one more week. If he cant produce I'll see what Murray can do against Car D the following week

5 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

This week is the classic "goes off on national TV while everyone in the world drops or sits him" week.  Can't wait.

7 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Unless you're in a huge league, you can't seriously start him on a short week @CAR.  You have to have a safer option, right?

I've experienced your first take enough times to roll the dice on TNF as I'd rather have him in with a 2nd straight bad game than vice versa as at least in my experience there's nothing worse than having a knee jerk reaction to week 1 bite you the following week.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fabrini said:

I've experienced your first take enough times to roll the dice on TNF as I'd rather have him in with a 2nd straight bad game than vice versa as at least in my experience there's nothing worse than having a knee jerk reaction to week 1 bite you the following week.

Agreed, that's why I'm definitely not panic-dropping, but not starting, either.  I'd much rather see him go off on my bench than tank another week for me.

• Like 1

Tough first week...would you sit him this week for Dalton or just keep rolling him out? I think Winston comes around...but TNF scares me a little...

10 minutes ago, bosny said:

Tough first week...would you sit him this week for Dalton or just keep rolling him out? I think Winston comes around...but TNF scares me a little...

I would roll with Winston. He had 2 touchdown passes negated. That is a 10 point plus swing with the yardage that was involved. Panthers and the Giants next, so he should have a shot at some top 5 point games.  It was a hot game and it showed. Was 93 degrees plus humidity and the heat index.

I still have hope for the season, but no way can you start him on a short week after that. His 3rd INT was the worst decision I've seen a QB make in years, just horrendous.

If you have any viable backup, you have to start him this week. I'm deciding between Rivers & Allen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

Agreed, that's why I'm definitely not panic-dropping, but not starting, either.  I'd much rather see him go off on my bench than tank another week for me.

So I went back and looked at his history vs. Carolina and FWIW here's the #'s

7 games

1859 yards

7 td's

9 int's

To be fair 6 of those 9 int's came his first season playing them.

Based on this and his performance Sunday I'm now questioning my previous statement.

Winston is a start for me.  It's only week 2 and there is no way I sit this guy based on one week.

Curious, do any of you also own Mike Evans?  He stunk up the joint too.

If you also own Evans are you parking him on the bench too?     

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

Winston is a start for me.  It's only week 2 and there is no way I sit this guy based on one week.

I believe Evans had the flu last week.

Also, I'm probably rolling out Winston in my cheap league. As mentioned above, he had points taken off the board that would have given him a decent outing even with the turnovers. 

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

I made sure to do a WInston/Evans stack.

James Bradberry has yet to be scored on by Evans.  I think this week will change things

• Like 1

Just now, oresteszero said:

I believe Evans had the flu last week.

Also, I'm probably rolling out Winston in my cheap league. As mentioned above, he had points taken off the board that would have given him a decent outing even with the turnovers. 

So based on your response about Evans, maybe many of you aren't looking at the big picture here with with all the variables involved (weather, new offensive scheme, missing his top weapon in Evans being 100 percent, 2 TDs negated) and you guys are going to sit him after ONE game?

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u_zpsf93cb6kr

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Not even close to the same thing. This isn't a one week reaction - this is who Jameis is. Every year he gets gassed up and every year he shows little to no improvement. He's the king of fantasy garbage time - if you play him you're basically hoping the game gets out of hand so he can pad the stats and make up for the likely multiple turnovers he's already put you in the hole with. Dating back to the start of 2018 he has as many multiple turnover games as he does multiple TD games.

He'll probably do better than last week, seeing as how it couldn't be much worse, but I'm not holding my breath for ROS. He's streaming material at best once again this year, and there are a number of guys probably available in many leagues (Josh Allen, Derek Carr to name a few) that I prefer this week. 

2 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

Not even close to the same thing. This isn't a one week reaction - this is who Jameis is. Every year he gets gassed up and every year he shows little to no improvement. He's the king of fantasy garbage time - if you play him you're basically hoping the game gets out of hand so he can pad the stats and make up for the likely multiple turnovers he's already put you in the hole with. Dating back to the start of 2018 he has as many multiple turnover games as he does multiple TD games.

He'll probably do better than last week, seeing as how it couldn't be much worse, but I'm not holding my breath for ROS. He's streaming material at best once again this year, and there are a number of guys probably available in many leagues (Josh Allen, Derek Carr to name a few) that I prefer this week. 

Exactly. He is the king of fantasy garbage time. I don't care how horrible of a player he is; if he's getting fantasy points that's all I care about.

1 minute ago, '71 Bucks said:

I'm curious to know if you drafted Winston based on all the info you just stated here and if you drafted Carr.

You guys are really a fickle bunch ready to parachute at the first hint of trouble.  

NewsAlert:  Players do have bad games to include QBs.  I'm willing to give Winston a pass on this one.  Everyone on here knew everything you stated as his positives and negatives before we drafted him.  

I'm simply not going to bail after one bad game with 2 TDs negated. He will play better and the appeal of Drafting Winston wasn't Winston himself, it was all of the very positive variables (Arians, surrounded by weapons, garbage time---don't talk like it's a negative, etc). 

• Thanks 1

I drafted him as my QB1. Traded for Wentz immediately after his performance because I just can't take the risk of him doing that all year and sitting back and watching it. I still believe in him (not as a real life QB but as a QB who can produce fantasy points), but he will be on my bench for now. Hopefully he heats up and can be used as trade bait later.

Edited by hangin n wangin

6 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

So based on your response about Evans, maybe many of you aren't looking at the big picture here with with all the variables involved (weather, new offensive scheme, missing his top weapon in Evans being 100 percent, 2 TDs negated) and you guys are going to sit him after ONE game?

I get the point you're trying to make, but it's not just "one game".  He's been inconsistent and turnover prone his whole career.  Week 1 was supposed to put those concerns to bed, but instead it just made them more valid. 

So, yes, I'm sitting him.

• Like 1

A bunch of panicking pansies.

Come next Tuesday, you will all starving while I eat my big fat W.

Just now, oresteszero said:

CarelessTautEuropeanfiresalamander-size_

Still makes me laugh.  Especially the looks on everyone's faces. 

Weirdest motivational speech ever.

• Like 1

Just now, K197040 said:

Still makes me laugh.  Especially the looks on everyone's faces. 

Weirdest motivational speech ever.

Probably thinking "What kind of weird kink is this?"