Lamont Sanford

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

Currently sporting a 12th rd adp...one could easily draft another 2 qbs to hedge his 2019 season.

• Like 1

Good discussion here.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

No, I disagree. It's entirely reasonable to draft 2 decent QBs you think have (say) a 30% chance to end up in the top-6.

I didn’t say it was unreasonable, just unnecessary. QB depth makes acquiring decent QBs post-draft a snap, all season long. Your QB2 should be of little concern while drafting, in my humble opinion, of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Good discussion here.

I didn’t say it was unreasonable, just unnecessary. QB depth makes acquiring decent QBs post-draft a snap, all season long. Your QB2 should be of little concern while drafting, in my humble opinion, of course.

Imho...if Winston is your sole target, odds are he can be drafted after your K.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Imho...if Winston is your sole target, odds are he can be drafted after your K.

Parkeyyy!!

• Haha 1

I'm absolutely loving taking Jameis as my QB1 in the 10th-11th in mocks. Their D is still bottom 3 so they'll be forced to throw a ton, and he has 2 elite weapons in Evans/Howard, plus a very good #2 in Godwin. Perriman actually looked really good last year in Cleveland, and I'm confident him or this guy Justin Watson can emerge as at least a deep threat to keep defenses honest.

I'm hoping he starts to play a little more comfortably in Arians' scheme, not forcing up balls into double teams, and checking down to his back a bit more. I feel like he's never gotten the easy yards throwing short and letting his backs rip off some YAC (not sure they have anyone on the roster that can really fill that role but I see some growth coming for RoJo in that department).

I think he's as good a bet as any to be that double digit round QB that emerges into the top 5. Allen and Lamar Jackson have the upside and Dak a solid floor, but I think Jameis has the best combination of the two of the later guys.

• Like 3

The only reason this is possible is Arians. But he's way way down my list and I like pretty much all other options available for where he's going. 

10 minutes ago, bomont said:

The only reason this is possible is Arians. But he's way way down my list and I like pretty much all other options available for where he's going. 

Not his trio of great receiving threats? Not his awful defense/probable catch-up opportunities? You don't think the guy has the talent?

I think all 3 are very apparent. Talent could be where we differ but he's near the top of every list for guys through 4 years of their career. Add Arians to the mix and factor in that he's playing for a new contract and I think we see everything come together.

I've always felt his biggest positive was the fact that his defense is trash, he has no run game, and he plays in a division rich with power offenses so they're always capable of needing tons of pass volume.     I still think he's capable of some very poor play at times, but there isn't a meme-worthy vet behind him who's a real threat, it'll take a lot for him to get benched here, unlike last year.     

Biggest problem with this guy is that he is a KNUCKLEHEAD.  Between the crab legs, the alleged Uber incident, the bizarre pregame "eat a W"... it just seems like he's not quite there.  He is so unlikable that I don't want to own him.  Sort of like Zeke.  And Tyreek.

But I do like the situation down in sunny Tampa.  And probably wouldn't mind him as a QB2.  Somebody else in your league likely feels the same though, so you might be paying QB1 prices or at the very least have to jump a round or two early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Not his trio of great receiving threats? Not his awful defense/probable catch-up opportunities? You don't think the guy has the talent?

Haven't all those things been true most if not all of his career? What has he done with it? I think his history (both playing-wise and dumbass-wise) speaks for itself. 

Also no one has mentioned the great schedule he has.

Rams, saints twice, colts, 49ers who will score. Rest of the teams are weak defenses. I only fear the jags.

4 stud receiving options, bad def, arians, im in. 

6 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Also no one has mentioned the great schedule he has.

I don't think Winston cares. He can fumble and throw interceptions against any team.

winstonnoo.0.gif

14 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Also no one has mentioned the great schedule he has.Rams, saints twice, colts, 49ers who will score. Rest of the teams are weak defenses.

?

4 stud receiving options

??

On 6/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, CooL said:

Biggest problem with this guy is that he is a KNUCKLEHEAD.  Between the crab legs, the alleged Uber incident, the bizarre pregame "eat a W"... it just seems like he's not quite there.  He is so unlikable that I don't want to own him.  Sort of like Zeke.  And Tyreek.

But I do like the situation down in sunny Tampa.  And probably wouldn't mind him as a QB2.  Somebody else in your league likely feels the same though, so you might be paying QB1 prices or at the very least have to jump a round or two early.

I took over an existing team this season and had to declare two keepers(4th round picks or above),after looking my options over I opted for Winston in the 8th based on BA,contract year and schedule.Biggest concern for me other than using an 8th round is our league is -3 on INT's.

Due to the factors that have been mentioned, Winston is one of the guys that I will target for my qb1 later in my drafts.  With Ryan Fitzpatrick gone, I don't think that Winston has to look over his shoulder and worry about anyone taking the starting job anymore which should help.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Olliemets said:

I'm absolutely loving taking Jameis as my QB1 in the 10th-11th in mocks. Their D is still bottom 3 so they'll be forced to throw a ton, and he has 2 elite weapons in Evans/Howard, plus a very good #2 in Godwin. Perriman actually looked really good last year in Cleveland, and I'm confident him or this guy Justin Watson can emerge as at least a deep threat to keep defenses honest.

I'm hoping he starts to play a little more comfortably in Arians' scheme, not forcing up balls into double teams, and checking down to his back a bit more. I feel like he's never gotten the easy yards throwing short and letting his backs rip off some YAC (not sure they have anyone on the roster that can really fill that role but I see some growth coming for RoJo in that department).

I think he's as good a bet as any to be that double digit round QB that emerges into the top 5. Allen and Lamar Jackson have the upside and Dak a solid floor, but I think Jameis has the best combination of the two of the later guys.

While all this makes sense, the problem with Jameis Pinkston has never been a lack of 'weapons', it has been his own [crappy] decision-making. For starters, can he stop throwing the ball to the other team? It's like he never recovered from throwing a pick 6 on his first ever pass in the NFL.

A bad defense could also mean fewer possessions. And don't forget that Pinkston, unlike the 'elite' QBs, actually gets worse when he has to throw more, especially when the game is in the balance. He's the least "clutch" QB in the NFL among the bigger names. He has just 3 game-winning drives in the last 2 seasons, and just 1 game-winning drive more than Blake Bortles overall. Marcus Mariota comfortably has more, and both have played almost the same number of games. This guy loses winnable games.

Although i respect Evans and Godwin, i'm not sure i'd like Pinkston as my every-week starter. He's never gonna have that week to week consistency you want in a QB. It's almost a given that he'll have some horrible games. And his horrible games are really HORRIBLE. He literally inspires his receivers to request a trade. If all you can do is "hope" that he'll "start" to play "comfortably" after 50 odd games in the NFL, shouldn't you let somebody else take a chance on him? I don't like picking players on hope, i like certainty.

Side note for dynasty guys:  Pinkston will never be a great QB - either in real life, or fantasy - until he has a good run game to fall back on. He needs an Ezekiel Elliott type of running back, a guy that can carry 20 times a game to kill clock and limit his throws. He still doesn't have that at TB. He actually does need a better team around him: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/07/24/fix-jameis-winston-put-a-better-team-around-him-bruce-arians-says/

And as long he remains a mistake-prone, mediocre, under-achiever, i'll keep calling him Pinkston. You don't deserve to be called by your real name when you have games like this:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

A bad defense could also mean fewer possessions.

Not with TB.  If it's anything like last year, they'll be near the top in possessions. 

If you take out his games against ATL he was pretty bad.  And that was with an offensive guru.  I think he's being overdrafted as a backend QB1.

4 hours ago, Fabrini said:

I took over an existing team this season and had to declare two keepers(4th round picks or above),after looking my options over I opted for Winston in the 8th based on BA,contract year and schedule.Biggest concern for me other than using an 8th round is our league is -3 on INT's.

Wow, unless this is a 2QB league, spending an eighth on Winston is pretty rich. I doubt he would even get drafted in the 8th in a 14 teamer. 

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

@96mnc Come get your boy.

Reality everything you said is valid.  I do think he improved dramatically after being benched with his decision making.   He was willing to pull it down and run instead of forcing it over the middle.   I agree he'd be better with a high end running game.   But I also think their oline isn't very good.  And I'd like to see them have a legit rb pass catching option that could take a 4 yard dump off 10 yards.   Where's duke Johnson when you need him? 

Fantasy... with those weapons,  that D, and that coach it's a match made in heaven.  Hell, a 4 int game is terrible in reality but in fantasy in that division that's going to produce 400 yards and 2 tds.

• Like 2

As I stated before, I think that Winston will be better this year, if anything, because he doesn't have to look over his shoulder worrying about Fitzpatrick taking his job if he has a couple of bad games in a row.  Blaine Gabbert or Ryan Griffin will only play if Winston is injured.

Any word yet about his professed abstention from alcohol?  This kid clearly had a ton of growing up to do, as well as getting over his sense of entitlement and his drinking problems.

It looks like he has a pretty serious work ethic.  If he has decided to grow up and take the direction of his life seriously, he’s got enough talent to be a pretty damned good QB.  I can’t help but think he’s also been under coached at the NFL level up to this season. 

15 hours ago, CooL said:

Wow, unless this is a 2QB league, spending an eighth on Winston is pretty rich. I doubt he would even get drafted in the 8th in a 14 teamer. 

We have to draft 2 QB's but only start one.The team I inherited IMO did not have many choices for my 2nd keeper and as far as I can tell most of the guys in our 12 man league are declaring one QB as a keeper.