Lamont Sanford

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

My league settings emphasize passing and passing QBs are much more valuable than they are in standard leagues. I was happy to take Winston as my starting QB and I was able to wait till the 10th round to take him (last team to draft a QB). Winston is great for those of us that like to fill the starting roster and some bench before taking a QB. With Fitz gone, there is much less of a risk of Winston getting benched during the season. He puts up numbers when he plays, a great example of a good fantasy QB but not a good real life QB. 

I've got Winston as well,based on no Fitz,Arians as HC and it being a contract year,I like the possibilities.Our league is 6 pts passing td's but my biggest concern is INT's are -3 and pick 6's are -6

On 8/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, mjb said:

Anyone confident with Jamis as a QB1?

I am. I have him in about 80% of my leagues. The writing is on the wall with Godwin and Howard as break out candidates. Evans is Evans and the defense is so bad. I get the concern and the line is bad. Also they have no run game IMO. At least in preseason week 3 he was just taking what he could get and not just throwing it up. He took I think 5 sacks when last year he would have just chucked it up. Additionally his adp or at least where I’ve been drafting is 11-13 rounds. He’s locked and loaded as my qb1 and I only draft 1 qb so here’s to hoping I’m right. 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, mjb said:

Anyone confident with Jamis as a QB1?

Yes. 

• Like 2

Yahoo has Winston projected at 4800 yards this year, and while yahoo projections are generally ok at best, its still interesting to see that IMO. They have Mahommes at 4780 for comparison. 

2 hours ago, Fabrini said:

I've got Winston as well,based on no Fitz,Arians as HC and it being a contract year,I like the possibilities.Our league is 6 pts passing td's but my biggest concern is INT's are -3 and pick 6's are -6

wow that is a suck scoring system

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chouffe said:

wow that is a suck scoring system

I'm okay penalizing the QB I just wished there was a way that a tipped ball could be distinguished from a direct throw to a defender.

7 minutes ago, Fabrini said:

I'm okay penalizing the QB I just wished there was a way that a tipped ball could be distinguished from a direct throw to a defender.

It’s all or nothing, just like how QBs get credited for a fumble when they pitch it to a RB and he completely whiffs it. 

I may be in the minority, but I just can't get excited about this guy any longer. He has shown very little progress in 4 years (actually regressing each year), and while he has all the talent around him for this to be a top-5 offense, he is the weakest link. He's looking more like a Josh Freeman / Blake Bortles / Marcus Mariota than a true franchise QB. Capable of having big games, throws it around ok, but is generally a poor decision maker and just can't seem to put it together consistently. With Tampa's new coaching staff, I suspect Winston's leash will be fairly short.

Unless something very unexpected happens, Tampa will be in prime position for a top-5 draft pick, putting them in prime position for a QB in the 2020 draft.  

1 minute ago, AirForceOne said:

I may be in the minority, but I just can't get excited about this guy any longer. He has shown very little progress in 4 years (actually regressing each year), and while he has all the talent around him for this to be a top-5 offense, he is the weakest link. He's looking more like a Josh Freeman / Blake Bortles / Marcus Mariota than a true franchise QB. Capable of having big games, throws it around ok, but is generally a poor decision maker and just can't seem to put it together consistently. With Tampa's new coaching staff, I suspect Winston's leash will be fairly short.

Unless something very unexpected happens, Tampa will be in prime position for a top-5 draft pick, putting them in prime position for a QB in the 2020 draft.  

You shouldn’t be excited about him. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good value QB1 in fantasy though. His situation reminds me of my early fantasy football days when I kept drafting Aaron Brooks of the Saints. There was nothing sexy about drafting him, but he always put up the numbers because his team sucked and he had to throw and had a star WR. 

I took Winston in a couple of my drafts but if you take him this year, you should roster a decent backup qb just in case he busts which is definitely possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, AirForceOne said:

Huh. Kind of odd position for a guy who was top 10 in ypa and QBR last season.  And Winston is the weakest link in the offense?  Worse than the RB corps or the O-line?  Excuse me if I find that your position seems more than a bit jaded...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ravensfanatic0 said:

If I have Winston and his wide range of outcomes is a backup in Mitch Trubisky or Josh Allen better in my circumstance?

I have Winston and Allen. Allen's opponent for Winston's bye is nice.

9 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Huh. Kind of odd position for a guy who was top 10 in ypa and QBR last season.  And Winston is the weakest link in the offense?  Worse than the RB corps or the O-line?  Excuse me if I find that your position seems more than a bit jaded...

He is jaded and he's not alone.  I have a friend in a 2 QB league who feels the same way absolutely refused to take winston as his first QB even when he was almost one of the last few feasible  QB that were available.   Last season either one that started ( Winston or Fitzpatrick ) were very good for fantasy.  

Winston is definitely one of those guys who sucks in real life but is very good in fantasy. As long as he doesn't get benched again you're straight

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Winston is definitely one of those guys who sucks in real life but is very good in fantasy. As long as he doesn't get benched again you're straight

Agreed I have him in 2 leagues Bucs are going to have to throw a lot, they have an easy schedule for passing, but play good offenses.  They have no running game and 2 really good wrs plus a good TE, Winston is going to have to chuck it. 

4 minutes ago, umphrey said:

Start or sit week 1 against SF?

Who is your other option is it Rodger, Mahomes, Watson,  Otherwise Winston is solid play this week battle of two bad defenses. 

Good to be back sharing a large part of my life for the next few months with you degenerates. Drafted Jameis today. Now, let's eat some Ws this season.

tenor.gif?itemid=10226581

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjagger42 said:

Good to be back sharing a large part of my life for the next few months with you degenerates. Drafted Jameis today. Now, let's eat some Ws this season.

I'm with you.  I hope this guy delivers for us Winston owners!

On 8/29/2019 at 4:16 PM, sjm76 said:

I took Winston in a couple of my drafts but if you take him this year, you should roster a decent backup qb just in case he busts which is definitely possible.

My strategy was to take Winston and Goff back to back. I feel pretty safe that one of those guys will be a top 5 play most weeks. 

2 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

I’m feeling a 5000 40/20 season in a young Matt Stafford kind of way.

20 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I’m feeling a 5000 40/20 season in a young Matt Stafford kind of way.

Doesn't he run in a couple of TDs during the season now and then?

On 8/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, wideopen21 said:

How often have you seen a QB on a team with a legit WR1, an emerging WR2 and top 5 tight end finish below QB16? Plus Winston ran for nearly 300 yards last year.

Not to mention Arians has a history of getting RBs involved in the passing game. 

Eli Manning was the QB16 last season and significantly worse in PPG. He was projected to have a top 5 WR, top 5 RB, top 5 TE, and a solid WR3.

Winston is very much a risk/reward pick.

I think he finishes as a top 5 scoring QB

new qb friendly system, elite weapons, no run game, bad defense, going to be in a lot of shootouts, and he’s always had a huge arm. If he can cut down on the turnovers he will have a monster season imo.

edit: forgot to mention he has a super soft schedule and the nfc west has a lot of mediocre secondaries/defenses.

Edited by CrastersCreep