Boudewijn

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2019 Outlook

11 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

He’s more of a deep threat, I could see them signing a GTate or Humphries and leading the team before him

The Pats have dibs on Humphries.

12 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

100+ rec, 1400yds and 12 tds, is realistic next year.

Disagreed. Could he do that? I guess. That's his ceiling though, not realistic projections imo.

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Disagreed. Could he do that? I guess. That's his ceiling though, not realistic projections imo.

I realize the landscape will be different this year in Pit with no Brown but juju went 111/1426/7 last year while Brown had 104/1297/15. There’s no reason to think he can’t repeat the yds and rec with some more Tds.

I do agree, realistically those would be on the high side. D Adams stats come to mind when I think of juju for next year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

I realize the landscape will be different this year in Pit with no Brown but juju went 111/1426/7 last year while Brown had 104/1297/15. There’s no reason to think he can’t repeat the yds and rec with some more Tds.

I do agree, realistically those would be on the high side. D Adams stats come to mind when I think of juju for next year

Adams was the #2 WR, so you are still saying the same thing (that JuJu is in the WR#1 discussion). I just don't agree.

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Adams was the #2 WR, so you are still saying the same thing (that JuJu is in the WR#1 discussion). I just don't agree.

We will agree to disagree.

I respect your opinion 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

We will agree to disagree.

I respect your opinion 

Hey, at least someone does.

18 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

i think being high on juju is entirely realistic. with brown alongside, juju had 8 games of 100+ yards and his season total was huge. the dud games (let's say 60 yards or less) should evaporate to some extent (last year he had 6 of these, salvaging production with a TD in two of these six games).

thing is, james washington did not look good. i liked him as a get in dynasty leagues (although i couldn't land him), but he was a waste of space for much of his time on the field. eli rogers only played three games, but ryan switzer looked way more capable and energetic than james washington (two different roles, yes, but they compete for targets). switzer's 36 rec / 44 targets yields a reliable 81% -- excellent hands. vs james washington's 16 rec. / 48 targets was an abysmal 42% catch rate.

point being, if james washington does not step up, juju will continue to see volume and we can expect excellent numbers (WR1).

one variable worth mentioning: vance mcdonald: 50 targets, 72 receptions. but more than this, did you see mcdonald play football? man, he was violent. seemed like every time he had the ball vance was out to wreck someone. i realize health is an issue, but in projecting targets and guessing at TDs, a healthy vance mcdonald is a legit consideration to cut into juju's numbers. but that said, antonio brown's 168 targets are up for grabs and while these might be distributed among multiple players, it's not far-fetched to see juju getting the lion's share. and that said, if dobbs (or mason rudolph, ugh) take over for ben due to injury or retirement, all bets are off...

tenor.gif?itemid=12413469

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

i think being high on juju is entirely realistic. with brown alongside, juju had 8 games of 100+ yards and his season total was huge. the dud games (let's say 60 yards or less) should evaporate to some extent (last year he had 6 of these, salvaging production with a TD in two of these six games).

thing is, james washington did not look good. i liked him as a get in dynasty leagues (although i couldn't land him), but he was a waste of space for much of his time on the field. eli rogers only played three games, but ryan switzer looked way more capable and energetic than james washington (two different roles, yes, but they compete for targets). switzer's 36 rec / 44 targets yields a reliable 81% -- excellent hands. vs james washington's 16 rec. / 48 targets was an abysmal 42% catch rate.

point being, if james washington does not step up, juju will continue to see volume and we can expect excellent numbers (WR1).

one variable worth mentioning: vance mcdonald: 50 targets, 72 receptions. but more than this, did you see mcdonald play football? man, he was violent. seemed like every time he had the ball vance was out to wreck someone. i realize health is an issue, but in projecting targets and guessing at TDs, a healthy vance mcdonald is a legit consideration to cut into juju's numbers. but that said, antonio brown's 168 targets are up for grabs and while these might be distributed among multiple players, it's not far-fetched to see juju getting the lion's share. and that said, if dobbs (or mason rudolph, ugh) take over for ben due to injury or retirement, all bets are off...

tenor.gif?itemid=12413469

I don't think it is that black and white. If Washington sucks and AB is gone, JuJu is gonna draw really tough matchups all season.

JuJu can already beat tough match-ups and has already faced them.

Not saying he won't get closed down here and there, but it's not like he isn't already receiving significant defensive consideration.

Sometimes those CB1s are better suited to cover JuJu than AB.

Just saying the uptick in volume for JuJu will benefit him more than the increased attention will hurt him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Winky said:

JuJu can already beat tough match-ups and has already faced them.

Not saying he won't get closed down here and there, but it's not like he isn't already receiving significant defensive consideration.

Sometimes those CB1s are better suited to cover JuJu than AB.

Just saying the uptick in volume for JuJu will benefit him more than the increased attention will hurt him.

Which matchups are you referring to?

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

I don't think it is that black and white. If Washington sucks and AB is gone, JuJu is gonna draw really tough matchups all season.

true. and it never is b/w. and i respect your right to have an opinion.

35 minutes ago, Winky said:

well said.

and james washington's 10 thumbs will only have ben force-feeding juju. so it all comes down to $$$ (i.e. how much you're paying for juju). wouldn't surprise me to see juju going throughout round 2 ($35-40 auction) and while i think he can return value there i also think it's pricey compared to who's going on either side of him. round 3 ($20-30) would seem like the bargain price.

ff163e17810ec5bf2f50b89fa4f013dc.jpg

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

true. and it never is b/w. and i respect your right to have an opinion.

well said.

and james washington's 10 thumbs will only have ben force-feeding juju. so it all comes down to $$$ (i.e. how much you're paying for juju). wouldn't surprise me to see juju going throughout round 2 ($35-40 auction) and while i think he can return value there i also think it's pricey compared to who's going on either side of him. round 3 ($20-30) would seem like the bargain price.

ff163e17810ec5bf2f50b89fa4f013dc.jpg

The cost is the first 2 pigs dying. Gimme the brick house.

Just now, The 7th Beatles said:

Love how AB is watching in the background of the photo. 

Juju benefited from ABs presence, but this guy is a stud and will eat this year in his absence. 1200/10+.

• Like 2

I called Tyreek last year as the no 1 WR in fantasy (PPR)

I will call JuJu as a top 3 this year

unless of course Darius Heyward Bey is still around

7 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Love how AB is watching in the background of the photo. 

Juju benefited from ABs presence, but this guy is a stud and will eat this year in his absence. 1200/10+.

It feels similar to when folks said Davante Adams wouldn't do well without Jordy taking the #1 CBs.  Juju will surely get plenty of volume.

• Like 1

JuJu often lined up in the slot, where he could avoid press coverage.  Brown also received double-teams about 10x more often.  I think he’ll be awesome for fantasy, but let’s hesitate before penciling him in as a new top-5 WR.

With all of the juju top5 talk, ooks like I'm drafting the starting TE for Pitt this year. . . 🤪

4 hours ago, ZappB said:

It feels similar to when folks said Davante Adams wouldn't do well without Jordy taking the #1 CBs.  Juju will surely get plenty of volume.

Adams was already getting opposing #1 CBs in 2017 when Jordy was there, even before ARod got hurt. Apples to oranges. 

Hard for a predominantly slot WR to finish top-5. Let's see how good Juju is on the outside vs #1 CBs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I called Tyreek last year as the no 1 WR in fantasy (PPR)

spacer.png

I will call JuJu as a top 3 this year

spacer.png

unless of course Darius Heyward Bey is still around

spacer.png

• Like 2

Well, if JuJu does fail to live up to expectations, I look forward to Ben Roethlisberger letting us all know about it, in full detail, every week.  Followed by his eventual trade out of town.   Is there a secret club somewhere where Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Mike Wallace can all get together and pound a few?  LeVeon Bell's probably allowed in too, I guess.   But not Heath Miller

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Adams was already getting opposing #1 CBs in 2017 when Jordy was there, even before ARod got hurt. Apples to oranges. 

Hard for a predominantly slot WR to finish top-5. Let's see how good Juju is on the outside vs #1 CBs.

I think this is a fair assessment

Posted (edited)

100/1400/12 seems like a lofty goal. Antonio brown never got 1400 yards and 12 TDs in the same season. Not saying that this isnt doable but the best wr in football never did it. 

Edit: AB did it once in 2014

Edited by Stonej14

Ben's going to spread the ball around big time this year. Juju IRL will be one of the best but fantasy wise I wouldn't grab him unless it was 3rd round. MAYBE 2nd round if i have first 3 picks and he's there at 22-24.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Ben's going to spread the ball around big time this year. Juju IRL will be one of the best but fantasy wise I wouldn't grab him unless it was 3rd round. MAYBE 2nd round if i have first 3 picks and he's there at 22-24.

Yeah you saw him try to spread it around last season too and with AB gone he has no reason to force throws he doesnt want to make. 

I like juju but I think people are assumming he will produce like AB who saw double coverage every game and demanded the ball. I wouldnt risk a 1st or 2nd on him with proven alpha guys like AJG, Evans, TY on the board

Edited by dashoe