thebadferret

Kerryon Johnson 2019 Outlook

The worst part is that many of us passed on that Carson/Mack/Jones tier to draft this guy. His talent is undeniable, but the situation is dreadful. Slapping my forehead at being so stupid and falling for the talented guy in a poor situation thing again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atrium said:

The worst part is that many of us passed on that Carson/Mack/Jones tier to draft this guy. His talent is undeniable, but the situation is dreadful. Slapping my forehead at being so stupid and falling for the talented guy in a poor situation thing again.

To be fair most of the guys in KJ's range didn't do great this week either with the exception of Mack, Carson, and Jacobs (not really in his ADP range tho).  He's got all the talent in the world and most ppl drafting him knew full well that his HC is a moron.  You'd just figure his talent along with being healthy and no Riddick would at least deliver him a slightly larger share of touches than he had last season. It looks to be a smaller share if anything, based on 1 game where the script should've favored him.  I'm definitely going to try to move him for someone else who underperformed this week (Juju, Evans, etc) if I can, otherwise he's gonna be a flex option instead of the locked in RB2 I expected him to be, for the time being at least.

Edited by TheINC
  • Like 1

It's bad enough he doesn't get the right amount of touches, but the ones he gets don't seem to suit his style.  He lacks top end speed, but gets to his max speed very quickly. That's why he seems to excel going off tackle.  But Patricia keeps slamming him up the middle, taking away his advantage. Whenever he does go outside, then you see him break big plays. 

[...] i like kerryon's talent but i agree his situation and coach sucks. it was always a pretty high risk when you're taking him early. if he's ever just utizlied correctly he'd be a low end rb1/high 2. also CJA is a threat.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed AC content

I don't get the full panic with Kerryon the guy got 18 touches lol ya Anderson got some too but if Kerryon is getting 18 touches a game I will take that that would put him in the top 10 of last year in touches per game. I was concerned with how ineffective he looked tho. The YPC was bad

Everyone keeps talking about talent. Idk what’s so special about this guy. I never saw anything special. He isn’t Barkley he’s not Gurley he’s not Kamara etc. He looked like a good RB that runs hard that’s about it. I didn’t notice any freak of nature talent about him like the above RBs.

19 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Everyone keeps talking about talent. Idk what’s so special about this guy. I never saw anything special. He isn’t Barkley he’s not Gurley he’s not Kamara etc. He looked like a good RB that runs hard that’s about it. I didn’t notice any freak of nature talent about him like the above RBs.

He looks like Mixon to me, which is pretty good.

The result was disappointing, but one positive that I noticed was in overtime when the game was on the line, it was Kerryon in there. 

Edited by ccimore

I basically hate that I own this guy....Not even sure why I picked him.

Dude was a stud in college and is talented.  But Patricia and the Lions are a mess.  They'd rather give a washed up CJ Anderson touches than a younger, more explosive player.  If KJ were on a team like the Chiefs or something, he'd be a stud.

What really burns me is that KJ has shown he can be a pretty solid receiver but is got almost nothing there in week one.  He could be much better used in that regard which would help his value in PPR's.

As of now, he feels like a very low end RB2 option in that offense and I doubt it gets much better.  If he can manage one good game I'll be pawning him around like crazy.

Relax everyone, the same thing happened last year where he was sharing more touches with another JAG and then the Lions realized if they want to win games they need to have KJ on the field as much as possible. That's when KJ started killing it until he got hurt. 

2 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Well he’s not as good as the elite players you mentioned. Nice strawman there.

The reason we like him is that he has has good acceleration, makes quick cuts, and is tough. He’s better than the Derrick Henry and Leonard Fournette’s of the world who are tough but pretty one dimensional. He’s bigger and tougher to tackle than Aaron Jones and Marlon Mack. That’s more the range he was drafted in and he’s better than those guys talent wise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

Well he’s not as good as the elite players you mentioned. Nice strawman there.

The reason we like him is that he has has good acceleration, makes quick cuts, and is tough. He’s better than the Derrick Henry and Leonard Fournette’s of the world who are tough but pretty one dimensional. He’s bigger and tougher to tackle than Aaron Jones and Marlon Mack. That’s more the range he was drafted in and he’s better than those guys talent wise.

Better than Fournette and Henry?

Based on on what exactly?

Tougher to tackle than Jones and Mack?

Based on what again?

2 hours ago, ccimore said:

He looks like Mixon to me, which is pretty good.

I can see that.  When I watch him run he reminds me of Darren McFadden 

52 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Better than Fournette and Henry?

Based on on what exactly?

Tougher to tackle than Jones and Mack?

Based on what again?

Uhh. . . Game film?

16 carries isnt terrible and if that's the trade off for him staying healthy the entire year then im ok with it.  More concerning was his lack of efficiency because if he's not a bellcow he needs to be efficient to return value.

As a Cardinals fan (and KJ owner) I watched every play in the game Sunday.

I was pulling for him to have a big game at the beginning but down the stretch just wanted a Cardinals victory.

That said, as a Cards fan, I was much more worried every time CJA would get the rock late as he was harder to tackle and hit the holes more quickly. KJ looked pretty average to me, was hoping to see more flash from him. A bit disappointing, hoping he bounces back this week.

• Like 1

How are you guys feeling about his prospects going forward?  Honestly expected a little more production and involvement from him.  Obviously you'll take the final stat line, but his overall involvement doesn't feel too good, and the TD felt kind of fluky with the defense being caught off guard by him actually making the catch after the bobble (I could be wrong here).

He got banged up but he seemed fine they didn’t need him to finish the game. He seems explosive and had some nice moves out there.  Usage is still a concern.  I’m more worried about Ty Johnson’s usage than CJA.  Also, I’m concerned with KJ’s running style.  He seems reckless as times and tries to jump over players.  Seems like his running style is prone to injuries.  I hope I’m wrong.  

1 hour ago, CharlesCC2 said:

How are you guys feeling about his prospects going forward?  Honestly expected a little more production and involvement from him.  Obviously you'll take the final stat line, but his overall involvement doesn't feel too good, and the TD felt kind of fluky with the defense being caught off guard by him actually making the catch after the bobble (I could be wrong here).

I'm gonna try to package him in a 2 for 1 after putting up seemingly decent numbers today.  I really don't know what I was thinking drafting an RB on a Patricia led team.  KJ looks like clearly the best back they have but they're stubbornly giving CJA a good chunk of snaps and I can't see that changing unfortunately.  I want to have a full head of hair left at the end of the season and trusting KJ in this offense weekly prob won't help with that.  Now whether I can get the return I want for him is a whole other question...

• Like 1

He’s at 32 touches through 2 games and is RB17 overall ahead of guys like Conner, Fournette, Montgomery, Michel, Freeman, etc.

Not sure I’d be panic selling. I’m not even sure what there is to panic about. Detroit RBs just got 28 touches and Kerryon is clearly the lead dog. Expect 16+ touches per game.

• Like 4

Not a KJ owner but I follow the Lions very closely.  Better games are coming.  The talent and opportunity are there. 

They're still getting the hang of the new offense under Bevell.  This offense is showing signs of starting to get humming; don't let yesterday's low score mislead you.

Stay the course; you don't want to sell low.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He got incredibly lucky on the bobbled catch for the TD.  Chargers D just froze thinking he dropped it I guess.  Even the announcers mentioned it. The good news, is like I said before, CJ Anderson looks flat out awful.  Just like he did in preseason and camp.

17 minutes ago, Sternes said:

He got incredibly lucky on the bobbled catch for the TD.  Chargers D just froze thinking he dropped it I guess.  Even the announcers mentioned it. The good news, is like I said before, CJ Anderson looks flat out awful.  Just like he did in preseason and camp.

It was a 30+ yard td. Who cares if they froze. He put on the jets and wasn’t caught either. Nobody is excusing Derek Henry’s 70 yard TD as luck. If you get enough touches s--- happens.

• Like 1