thebadferret

Kerryon Johnson 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Pack D isn't exactly a rock vs. the run.  Hope that translates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Rotoworld forums,

 

I must say, I’m confused. I was told in this thread that I got an RB1, but all I see is this lousy RB2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, atrium said:

Hello Rotoworld forums,

 

I must say, I’m confused. I was told in this thread that I got an RB1, but all I see is this lousy RB2

You sir, like myself, got on hype train1. It happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never on the hype train. I had a select few people jump down my throat the other week for not being too hyped about an RB on a Matt Patricia team. He’s an RB2 with limited upside, enjoy the ride fellas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, atrium said:

I was never on the hype train. I had a select few people jump down my throat the other week for not being too hyped about an RB on a Matt Patricia team. He’s an RB2 with limited upside, enjoy the ride fellas

He’s a good flex. Even with 20 plus carries he can’t break 15 pts in standard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, atrium said:

I was never on the hype train. I had a select few people jump down my throat the other week for not being too hyped about an RB on a Matt Patricia team. He’s an RB2 with limited upside, enjoy the ride fellas

 

Most people were worried about that because he was going to be in a committee. So even if Kerryon has been somewhat disappointing, those people were still wrong. He is their bell cow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fewest yards before contact per carry:
1. Derrick Henry - 0.9
t2. Adrian Peterson - 1.0
t2. Le'Veon Bell - 1.0
4. James Conner - 1.1
t5. Kerryon Johnson - 1.2
t5. Leonard Fournette - 1.2

 

What's going on? Is he just bad? I haven't watched much tape on the guy but his YPC is garbage. With that said..

 

..I wanna buy low 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s getting tons of volume but has very little room to run and isnt producing. Fortunately for him he’s been scoring regularly, if he regresses there it could be a bit ugly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s still great. Packers defense is pretty good especially at home. Stop worrying about ypc like it’s a be-all-end-all stat for whether a RB is good or not. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sSektor said:

He’s still great. Packers defense is pretty good especially at home. Stop worrying about ypc like it’s a be-all-end-all stat for whether a RB is good or not. 

Nobody said it was. The point is he’s not an RB1, he has yet to put up an RB1 performance. This team doesn’t fit with an RB1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sSektor said:

He’s still great. Packers defense is pretty good especially at home. Stop worrying about ypc like it’s a be-all-end-all stat for whether a RB is good or not. 

 The same Packers home D that let up:

   -   20/154/1 and 3/37 to Dalvin

   -   36/144/1 and 8/59 to Lindsay/Freeman

   -   26/159/2 and 3/28/1 to Sanders/Howard

???????

Once again, I’m one of the biggest proponents of Kerryon, but the rose colored glasses here are obvious. He has graded out as the worst running back in football this year, partially due to a large volume of carries in short yardage/GL situations, partly because of stacked boxes and Oline, and partly because of missed holes and bad decision making. I expect him to improve, but he has looked much much worse (albeit in a much better situation) than as a rookie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game plan didn’t help for this game. They obviously saw something they could exploit in the packers secondary. Lions threw the ball a lot it seemed. 
 

2 weeks in a row teams could throw on GB. Darnell Savage the safety has been out and may be a big part of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

The game plan didn’t help for this game. They obviously saw something they could exploit in the packers secondary. Lions threw the ball a lot it seemed. 
 

2 weeks in a row teams could throw on GB. Darnell Savage the safety has been out and may be a big part of it. 

Kerryon had 15 touches and an additional two incomplete targets. He had plenty of opportunity, but yes seemed like the GB front was winning in the trenches and the WRs were getting open.

Minnesota next week isn’t a great matchup on paper, but then he gets NYG at home and Oakland which could be more favorable waters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerryon has a long of 14 yards this year.

He has 5 runs of 10 or more yards.

4 of those came against KC. Every RB runs it on KC.  In fact, the only 2 who haven't averaged 5 YPC vs them or him and Mack.

In his other 4 games, he has 1, against Philly.

He has gone back to hesitating at the line, which people loved out of college for some reason because of course that means he is Leveon Bell.  He is more successful hitting the hole and it was something I thought he did well last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 5:00 AM, Ruut6 said:

 The same Packers home D that let up:

   -   20/154/1 and 3/37 to Dalvin

   -   36/144/1 and 8/59 to Lindsay/Freeman

   -   26/159/2 and 3/28/1 to Sanders/Howard

???????

Once again, I’m one of the biggest proponents of Kerryon, but the rose colored glasses here are obvious. He has graded out as the worst running back in football this year, partially due to a large volume of carries in short yardage/GL situations, partly because of stacked boxes and Oline, and partly because of missed holes and bad decision making. I expect him to improve, but he has looked much much worse (albeit in a much better situation) than as a rookie.

 

His performance against GB was a little disturbing considering how other teams have run all over GB.

The offensive line doesn't look like it's creating holes at all. In addition, there's a serious lack of creativity in the play calling. I feel like every time he ran the ball it was a) First down, and b) He just ran right up the gut. The couple of runs I saw on Monday night where there was a little mis-direction he ran well.

I think this is far less about K. Williams and much more about the o-line and play calling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

 

His performance against GB was a little disturbing considering how other teams have run all over GB.

The offensive line doesn't look like it's creating holes at all. In addition, there's a serious lack of creativity in the play calling. I feel like every time he ran the ball it was a) First down, and b) He just ran right up the gut. The couple of runs I saw on Monday night where there was a little mis-direction he ran well.

I think this is far less about K. Williams and much more about the o-line and play calling.

I thought the creativity was horrible as well. Right up the back of the center every time. The jags have been pretty good with fournette this year. They need to spice it up a little. They don’t try to threaten the edge AT ALL. I’d love a break down of kerryon’s runs on the season, left, center, and right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run up the gut behind a line that gets no movement, then get pulled for J.D. freaking McKissic.  His usage, the play calling and blocking were all bad when it came to running plays for KJ.  It was impossible to establish any kind of rhythm and we got lucky he was credited with that touchdown, because if it was called short I don't think it was getting overturned either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Run up the gut behind a line that gets no movement, then get pulled for J.D. freaking McKissic.  His usage, the play calling and blocking were all bad when it came to running plays for KJ.  It was impossible to establish any kind of rhythm and we got lucky he was credited with that touchdown, because if it was called short I don't think it was getting overturned either.

Bevell and Patricia have zero creativity in their play calling which is severely limiting KJ's ceiling.  Runs up the middle into a pile of lineman just doesn't cut it. You'd think they could run a sweep or flare out to the side once in a blue moon to take advantage of KJ's talents...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, jwilsonxo said:

Fewest yards before contact per carry:
1. Derrick Henry - 0.9
t2. Adrian Peterson - 1.0
t2. Le'Veon Bell - 1.0
4. James Conner - 1.1
t5. Kerryon Johnson - 1.2
t5. Leonard Fournette - 1.2

 

What's going on? Is he just bad? I haven't watched much tape on the guy but his YPC is garbage. With that said..

 

..I wanna buy low 👀

They just run him inside on obvious running downs over and over. It's quite annoying. Then mckissic comes in and the run him outside and nice little design screens. Yet do the exact opposite with kerryon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the game and he just kept running straight up into a wall of defenders, really didn’t seem all that elusive. He dropped at least one easy pass. Thankful for the TD, but benching him vs the Vikings if you have better options isn’t a terrible idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit is currently ranked 27th in stuffed percentage and 26th in power running per Football Outsiders

 

Wouldn't put it entirely on Kerryon although he has looked more indecisive hitting holes this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 7:02 PM, TheINC said:

Bevell and Patricia have zero creativity in their play calling which is severely limiting KJ's ceiling.  Runs up the middle into a pile of lineman just doesn't cut it. You'd think they could run a sweep or flare out to the side once in a blue moon to take advantage of KJ's talents...

I've been beating this drum for weeks. Kerryon excels on the edges, be it runs or receptions. But they just repeatedly pound him up the gut and show no commitment to throwing it to him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...