urban2014

Stefon Diggs 2019 Outlook

I told yall Cousins sucks and was the problem. Dude is basically a glorified Ryan Tannehill. Vikings are smart to keep the ball out of his hands. 

1 minute ago, griffin727 said:

I told yall Cousins sucks and was the problem. Dude is basically a glorified Ryan Tannehill. Vikings are smart to keep the ball out of his hands. 

The Vikings paid him $84M guaranteed, so both these statements cannot be true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

I am cognizant.  But there's context behind numbers.  I mean 25% of your data is based on a crazy outlier 10 pass attempt game.

In the 2 games the Vikings have won, they basically ran inferior opponents out of the building.  Sure they could have passed more to appease their receivers and fantasy owners, but running out the clock with Cook and Mattison was enough.

In the 2 games the Vikings have lost, the run / pass ratio has been very titled to the pass, obviously since they spent time trailing.  I would argue Cousins hasn't been making the plays to keep the offense on the field in these closer / trailing games.

From my point of view, if you're getting 5+ ypc with Cook...that's pretty effective and giving him the ball a lot is going to give you a good chance to win.  I'm sure you can dig up run / pass splits of the Ravens last year when Lamar Jackson took over and see how that was over a stretch they went 6-1.  Right now the teams best chance to win is running the ball because Cousins can't complete a pass downfield.  

I don't blame them at all for their gameplan, it's a gameplan that can win in the NFL (which is what is really important to the coaches, not stats!).  For the passing game to improve, Cousins needs to be better.  Why should they be throwing it more when the expected outcome is drastically worse than handing it off?  Through no fault of Diggs of course at the moment.  

If Cousins gets it together and starts playing like last year, Im sure they'll start throwing the ball more, because then it would be an effective weapon.  And maybe there is something scheme related that's harming his performance.  But why should a team that's trying to win throw more when they have a bad QB or at least one that's playing badly?  If you made me QB in the NFL and I'm throwing to prime Randy Moss and prime Jerry Rice, it's still a bad idea to call a pass play!

I think you could make the argument that Cousins has totally disintegrated in a vacuum, but to me it isn't very compelling.

Why?

Because you're talking about a guy who has looked downright competent in virtually every other season he has played in.

This year he has his lowest completion %, TD passing percentage, highest sack rate and lowest QB rating since he became a full time starter.

Did he suddenly forget how to be a QB at 31?  I doubt it.  He isn't injured.

The system isn't working to meet the strengths of the offense.  Which, you're right, is fine for the team when they're crushing the Falcons and Raiders.  But not so great when they're getting shut out in the 3rd quarter against GB and have to play catch up or get two field goals against the Bears.  And still they're running!  Right into the teeth of the best front seven in the league.

Cousins may not be perfect, but he's better than this.  Diggs and Theilen may not be Moss or Rice, but they're not the Dolphins either.

They're on pace for the lowest number of attempts in a decade.  They need to throw more.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

The Vikings paid him $84M guaranteed, so both these statements cannot be true.

Well they can't undo that. Stupid to pay him initially, smart to basically admit it was a mistake. 

• Like 1

Diggs is being selfish, typical of most people who think everything starts and ends with them. Negativity affects the whole team and I hope they freeze him out so we can watch him implode. Minnesota is the 4th best team in their division and probably will be 7-9 by the end of the season. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Diggs is being selfish, typical of most people who think everything starts and ends with them. Negativity affects the whole team and I hope they freeze him out so we can watch him implode. Minnesota is the 4th best team in their division and probably will be 7-9 by the end of the season. 

How do you think Aaron Rodgers would react if his head coach decided to run an ancient offense that didn't best utilize his skills?

Oh wait, we saw that.. Rodgers got McCarthy fired. 

It's not crazy for a borderline elite wr to expect more than 3 targets a game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krambone said:

Say you're 7 foot tall and you're playing basketball and the other 9 players on the court are less than 6'.  Coach says "Alright guys....we are shooting exclusively 3 pointers and our big guy will rebound and kick the ball out for us."  You say...ok fine, and you play that way.  And you lose.  You say "Coach, we'll win if you let me shoot."

Then the coach says "No.  Three points is better than two.  We stick to our strategy."

Are you telling me you wouldn't lose your s**t?  Is it selfish of you to want to shoot the ball when you believe your team will win if you do?

Assuming that Diggs is frustrated solely out of concern for his own stats is very presumptuous.  He could very well be upset that the team is losing because they are not using their strengths properly.

I'm not defending him skipping practice.  There are better ways to handle it.  But calling him a diva when none of us knows what went down is unfair.  Maybe he is acting like a diva...who knows...but nobody has the full picture.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

How do you think Aaron Rodgers would react if his head coach decided to run an ancient offense that didn't best utilize his skills?

Oh wait, we saw that.. Rodgers got McCarthy fired

It's not crazy for a borderline elite wr to expect more than 3 targets a game. 

A lot of good that did. Rodgers still looks like a** and is ruining the Packers offense trying to do everything himself. 

Fact of the matter is that they've got a game on Sunday against a team which has shown some significant offensive life two weeks ago against Tampa and the receiving firepower that might be able to put up some points against this defense and a secondary which has largely been a disaster.

Maybe they'll go up big early and throw 10 times again.  But if they find a way to lose and Diggs and Theilen combined for single digit targets, there will be some major issues with the schedule looming much more difficult after this.

We'll see how it goes.

49 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Oh wait, we saw that.. Rodgers got McCarthy fired. 

so, lemme get this straight ...

we're gonna juxtapose a 2 time leeg MVP, Super Bowl Winner, Super Bowl MVP, surefire H.oF. QB  to an oft injured, borderline wr2 talent, who has ONE season over 1,000 yds and never posted double digit TDs in a season? 

ok.  seems legit. 

i'll never get the fascination with this kid ... as @lolcopter opined earlier, Diggs is still nuthugged up on here mostly due to hype ... perennial DND for me, as i alluded to in the preseason - and now this new crybaby/diva wrinkle - you all can have him ... he's a suckah bet, case closed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

so, lemme get this straight ...

we're gonna juxtapose a 2 time leeg MVP, Super Bowl Winner, Super Bowl MVP, surefire H.oF. QB  to an oft injured, borderline wr2 talent, who has ONE season over 1,000 yds and never posted double digit TDs in a season? 

ok.  seems legit. 

i'll never get the fascination with this kid ... as @lolcopter opined earlier, Diggs is still nuthugged up on here mostly due to hype ... perennial DND for me, as i alluded to in the preseason - and now this new crybaby/diva wrinkle - you all can have him ... he's a suckah bet, case closed. 

No kidding,  also he’s coming of 7/100+ game.. total narcissist and so what now Diggs and Thielen cry and next were going to hear Dalvin Cook cry. Although I doubt it Dalvin doesn’t seem like a me first ahole.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Krambone said:

No kidding,  also he’s coming of 7/100+ game.. total narcissist and so what now Diggs and Thielen cry and next were going to hear Dalvin Cook cry. Although I doubt it Dalvin doesn’t seem like a me first ahole.

agreed. 

i also don't see Thielen sitting out of practice ... running his yap, yes - but not sitting outta practice. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think you could make the argument that Cousins has totally disintegrated in a vacuum, but to me it isn't very compelling.

Why?

Because you're talking about a guy who has looked downright competent in virtually every other season he has played in.

This year he has his lowest completion %, TD passing percentage, highest sack rate and lowest QB rating since he became a full time starter.

Did he suddenly forget how to be a QB at 31?  I doubt it.  He isn't injured.

The system isn't working to meet the strengths of the offense.  Which, you're right, is fine for the team when they're crushing the Falcons and Raiders.  But not so great when they're getting shut out in the 3rd quarter against GB and have to play catch up or get two field goals against the Bears.  And still they're running!  Right into the teeth of the best front seven in the league.

Cousins may not be perfect, but he's better than this.  Diggs and Theilen may not be Moss or Rice, but they're not the Dolphins either.

They're on pace for the lowest number of attempts in a decade.  They need to throw more.

That's a pretty reasonable take.  You absolutely could be right, it's hard to say without being in the building at this point.  I think this week will offer a lot of clues into what the issue is and whether it's going to get fixed this season.  The Giants have a brutal secondary and a potentially deceivingly explosive offense.  All signs are pointing as this would be the week to get a passing game going.

I actually thought the addition of Kubiak to the staff would have been a positive for Cousins in terms of his efficiency, just based on his history with Schaub (until Schaub fell off); I kind of viewed Schaub and Cousins as pretty similar QBs both in career path and ability.  The volume seemed like it was going to drop off this year, but I figured an increase in efficiency would have mitigated a lot (or at least some) of the lost passing opportunities.

Edited by Illusion_J
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe he will pull a 2014 tom Brady comeback where everyone was saying Brady was drop city after the week 4 embarrassment in Kansas city, only to bounce back with a vengence

stranger things have happened....

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins

19 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

Why does Diggs need to show up to practice if he’s only getting 3 targets a game?  

How else will he learn his run blocking assignments for 3rd and 12 draw plays?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

That's a pretty reasonable take.  You absolutely could be right, it's hard to say without being in the building at this point.  I think this week will offer a lot of clues into what the issue is and whether it's going to get fixed this season.  The Giants have a brutal secondary and a potentially deceivingly explosive offense.  All signs are pointing as this would be the week to get a passing game going.

I actually thought the addition of Kubiak to the staff would have been a positive for Cousins in terms of his efficiency, just based on his history with Schaub (until Schaub fell off); I kind of viewed Schaub and Cousins as pretty similar QBs both in career path and ability.  The volume seemed like it was going to drop off this year, but I figured an increase in efficiency would have mitigated a lot (or at least some) of the lost passing opportunities.

I could be grousing about nothing here too.

Maybe Zimmerman, Stefanski and Kubiak will be vindicated in this heavy commitment to the run by opening up play action opps later on in the season.  It is still only 4 games (1 of which was definitely an outlier), you're right.

The Bears are also a very tough defense.

What really concerned me most was the Green Bay game and the lack of adaptation there.  You can't drop too many games like that and expect to keep your job.  Let us Diggs and Theilen owners AND those Vikings fans amongst us hope that something was learned there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoketheclay said:

Why does Diggs need to show up to practice if he’s only getting 3 targets a game?  

You tell us as you seem to think just like him. 

• Thanks 1

The Giants are the salve that will heal the Vikings moribund passing game.

Big game for Diggs tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Squeaky Wheel + Sub-par Defense.

Cant bench Diggs this week.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

I read that they are pressing like crazy, which is why Evans was able to outmuscle them.

Diggs has beaten the press in the past through superior route running.  Could work.

Of course, this is all academic if they go up big early and run the ball 40 times, or if Zimmer decides to be punitive and bench him.

But I hope you're right 

Any high school kid who plays madden could figure this out. 20 to 25 passing plays, heavy on the play action, 8 to 10 targets for each WR.

I think one of two things is likely to happen.

1) Vikings see how frustrated their WRs are and find this as a good game to get them involved against a bad defense. Diggs and Thielen combine for around 25 targets and both produce very good fantasy numbers.

2) Cousins just sucks and Vikings don't care enough. Diggs puts up something like 2/30/0. This puts him into full tilt, he formally requests a trade, and either gets it or is useless for the rest of the season. Although I would think they trade him. 

Diggs just needs to play the eagles every week, stout run defense but swiss cheese secondary is a perfect recipe for good fantasy games for Diggs and Thielen

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I think one of two things is likely to happen.

1) Vikings see how frustrated their WRs are and find this as a good game to get them involved against a bad defense. Diggs and Thielen combine for around 25 targets and both produce very good fantasy numbers.

2) Cousins just sucks and Vikings don't care enough. Diggs puts up something like 2/30/0. This puts him into full tilt, he formally requests a trade, and either gets it or is useless for the rest of the season. Although I would think they trade him. 

He goes 2/30 in this matchup, especially against the Giants, I fear this drama boils up a lot more