urban2014

Stefon Diggs 2019 Outlook

I think these 2 will often drive people nuts, starting one and the other goes off. Much like the Ram WRs. 

Last year Thielen finished 8th in my half-PPR league among WR's in PPG, and Diggs finished 10th, with only about 0.4 PPG separating them.  Both WR1's on weekly average.

Rams WR's finished: Kupp in 11th, Woods in 14th, Cooks in 23rd.  So all in the WR2 range on a weekly average.  

I'd love for any of these guys to continue to "drive me nuts" this same way all year.

• Like 2

I've read in different places that the Vikings are expected to pass less this year.  Not sure if that is to be believed or not.

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I've read in different places that the Vikings are expected to pass less this year.  Not sure if that is to be believed or not.

Well they fired the OC from last year who did not call enough running plays, so, that could be an indicator.

Yes - I think trying to extrapolate from last year’s numbers what to expect from any Vikings WR this year isn’t going to work.  They made a hard (and conscious) turn to the run game late last year, and that is, in all likelihood, about to continue.  Maybe focus on patterns from those late-season games - like a steep decline in targets for Thielen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Last year Thielen finished 8th in my half-PPR league among WR's in PPG, and Diggs finished 10th, with only about 0.4 PPG separating them.  Both WR1's on weekly average.

Rams WR's finished: Kupp in 11th, Woods in 14th, Cooks in 23rd.  So all in the WR2 range on a weekly average.  

I'd love for any of these guys to continue to "drive me nuts" this same way all year.

Me too. But this year isn't last year and I don't think both will be top 10 WRs. If (yeah big big if) Cook stays healthy, they will run more and he'll also do his share of receiving. Supposedly they are going to use Rudolph more as well. It would not surprise me at all if they prove me wrong, just my take. 

19 hours ago, bomont said:

I think these 2 will often drive people nuts, starting one and the other goes off. Much like the Ram WRs. 

That's simply what happens with almost every WR. It's just their profile. Both Thielen and Diggs are guys you will just play anyway every week in most leagues.

What's more important probably is that Diggs scares you every week by being questionable, and then just when you got used to that he actually misses 1-2 games.

Any news on this guy. It feels like I haven't heard anything about him this offseason yet. No news is good news?

Posted (edited)

Looking at Thielen's and Diggs's last three games, when the new coordinator was calling plays, both saw yes targets but since he had a higher average per game, Thielen's targets went down more.  So perhaps an even toss up on targets.   Kubiak likes play action passing - Diggs would likely benefit from more play action passing?

Edited by nine9s

I expect Diggs to go off this year. 

Last year the Vikings ran an awful system on offense as obvious by them finishing in the bottom half of the league in points with all that talent. Admittingly, the line was bad so they had some issues. 

This year Diggs should really flourish. They made their line servicable and will be trying to establish the run game. This does two things. First, it gives them time to throw the ball and second it gives them the ability to establish the play action. This is a perfect fit for Diggs. The reason Thielen got so much work last year is because they didn't really have time to throw nor was the PA respected. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Diggs finishes as a top 7 or so WR. Thielen is good but Diggs can take the roof off. If the line and run game hold up Diggs will really flourish. He's the kind of WR that benefits from a good run game not the other way around.

• Like 5

Diggs definitely has the higher upside vs. Thielen. I think Theilen is more consistent/efficient with his targets, but not as much of a threat for those monster 7-200-2 games like Diggs is. 

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I expect Diggs to go off this year. 

Last year the Vikings ran an awful system on offense as obvious by them finishing in the bottom half of the league in points with all that talent. Admittingly, the line was bad so they had some issues. 

This year Diggs should really flourish. They made their line servicable and will be trying to establish the run game. This does two things. First, it gives them time to throw the ball and second it gives them the ability to establish the play action. This is a perfect fit for Diggs. The reason Thielen got so much work last year is because they didn't really have time to throw nor was the PA respected. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Diggs finishes as a top 7 or so WR. Thielen is good but Diggs can take the roof off. If the line and run game hold up Diggs will really flourish. He's the kind of WR that benefits from a good run game not the other way around.

1 minute ago, griffin727 said:

Diggs definitely has the higher upside vs. Thielen. I think Theilen is more consistent/efficient with his targets, but not as much of a threat for those monster 7-200-2 games like Diggs is. 

As a Diggs owner I do hope you gentlemen are spot on.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:56 PM, Gohawks said:

The reason Thielen got so much work last year is because they didn't really have time to throw nor was the PA respected. 

I think that was a factor, but I also think that Thielen might just be the more comfortable option for a guy like Cousins. For a QB with a relatively strong arm, Cousins has never really seemed too inclined to sling it downfield, even in crucial games where the situation dictates taking some deep shots. If Cousins finally comes into his own this year and becomes a more complete pocket passer, I think Diggs has the chance to realize his high ceiling. However, if Cousins continues to play scared and rely on checkdowns and intermediate passes for sustaining drives, I think we'll once again find the skill players underperforming as a result of a mediocre passing attack. I think I like Thielen more in PPR unless Cousins finally shows us that he's not afraid of the deep ball. Otherwise, I think he'll continue to lock onto guys like Thielen and Rudolph with Diggs running free in his blind spot.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

3 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Diggs DNP today. Great start to the new season! 

Love this guys talent but regular DNP, injury start/sit decisions drive me nuts when ever I own him. Typically doesn't miss a lot of games but feels like he always has some nagging injury.

Date League Injury Details
Oct 28, 2018 NFL Chest Rib Bruise  Diggs suffered bruised ribs against the Saints and missed the next game. He returned after the Week 10 bye.
Oct 9, 2017 NFL Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2 Diggs missed 2 games with a groin strain.
Dec 21, 2016 NFL Inguinal Hip Sprain  Diggs sat out the season's final game with a hip injury
Nov 20, 2016 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Diggs was diagnosed with a Grade 1 knee strain and was sidelined the following week.
Oct 3, 2016 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Diggs dealt with a groin issue for a couple of weeks before missing Week 5. He returned after the Week 6 bye.
Edited by ColoWrex
  • Like 1

As a Diggs owner, I'm slightly concerned that Doctson will steal some targets if Diggs is hobbled or misses any time. Say what you will about Doctson but he's very talented and will have a capable qb throwing to him for the first time in his NFL career. 

• Haha 2

I've had a share of Diggs in 3 straight seasons, this one being my first to miss out on him everywhere. 

I have mixed feelings because of these two posts:

3 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

On 8/29/2019 at 2:24 PM, griffin727 said:

I think he's a better receiver than Thielen, but he gets injured a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Komfy said:

As a Diggs owner, I'm slightly concerned that Doctson will steal some targets if Diggs is hobbled or misses any time. Say what you will about Doctson but he's very talented and will have a capable qb throwing to him for the first time in his NFL career. 

You mean...Kirk Cousins?  His former QB?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Komfy said:

He had the same QB 2016-2017

14 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Diggs (undisclosed) wasn't in uniform during the portion of Wednesday's practice open to the media, Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. The Vikings won't reveal the reason for Diggs' lack of work until they release their first injury report of the season Wednesday. https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/vikings-stefon-diggs-sitting-out-practice/

tumblr_mlyitej1bT1s67vyfo5_250.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

You mean...Kirk Cousins?  His former QB?

OK I forgot about that but, now that you mention it, Minnesota must have liked what they saw between Cousins and Doctson. I took a look at their stats together and, in 2017, Doctson had 35 catches from Cousins - 6 of them going for touchdowns. 17% of his catches from Cousins went for touchdowns. I really doubt you can find a higher conversion rate than that.