urban2014

Stefon Diggs 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, jkendrick2 said:

I wish I didn't sit him, but I had to play Hill, Mclaurin, and Godwin.

Diggs “hold my beer while I outscore all three” (not really tho)

DO NOT SELL DIGGS - DO NOT SELL DIGGS

You are selling too early

His next three are NICE: @Det, WSH, @KC

He will go off again in AT least one of those games

When he has two or three BIG games on the season everyone will value him as a WR1

THAT is when you sell

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sell high?  Everyone should have been buying low.  Now it is time to enjoy the ride.

Don't forget that Diggs was a bit gimpy to start the season--DNP and limited several times in the first couple of weeks.

He may be getting closer to full health.  He sure looked spry yesterday.

• Like 1

Diggs is now on pace for 1120 yards and 11 tds.  Those are actually probably bigger numbers than we drafted him for.  If I told you after your draft that he would finish with those numbers, I'm pretty sure everyone would lock him in their lineup and leave him there.  The variance sucks but the production so far is hard to be upset about.

Also, he's now the #11 overall WR in points on the season (standard).  He's right behind Keenan Allen and Mike Evans.  Crazy how one big week can change things.

13 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Diggs is now on pace for 1120 yards and 11 tds.

Took a look - both numbers would be career bests for Diggs.  Pretty crazy that 48 hours ago we were talking about him being a massive bust, and now he's on pace for a career year.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Took a look - both numbers would be career bests for Diggs.  Pretty crazy that 48 hours ago we were talking about him being a massive bust, and now he's on pace for a career year.

he's still a bust, because he has been struggling so much that many people didn't even get credit for all those points yesterday because he was still a risky start. Only thing that can be learned so far from Diggs this season is that you can probably play him against a team that can stop the run and slow down Cook. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Diggs is now on pace for 1120 yards and 11 tds.  Those are actually probably bigger numbers than we drafted him for.  If I told you after your draft that he would finish with those numbers, I'm pretty sure everyone would lock him in their lineup and leave him there.  The variance sucks but the production so far is hard to be upset about.

Also, he's now the #11 overall WR in points on the season (standard).  He's right behind Keenan Allen and Mike Evans.  Crazy how one big week can change things.

Man do I dislike these kind of posts.

Yes, he is on pace for that after having a massive game in which he was benched in most leagues. He wasn't even started in over half of the ESPN leagues and before some dude with hindsight comes in and says "But it's the Eagles he was an OBVIOUS start" i'll bet the same tune wasn't being sung after he sucked against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL last week. 

As of now, most people have gotten more single digit weeks from Diggs than not. For the record, I am not saying he will bust rest of season but acting like he has actually been a decent pick thus far is delusional.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Man do I dislike these kind of posts.

Yes, he is on pace for that after having a massive game in which he was benched in most leagues. He wasn't even started in over half of the ESPN leagues and before some dude with hindsight comes in and says "But it's the Eagles he was an OBVIOUS start" i'll bet the same tune wasn't being sung after he sucked against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL last week. 

As of now, most people have gotten more single digit weeks from Diggs than not. For the record, I am not saying he will bust rest of season but acting like he has actually been a decent pick thus far is delusional.

I'm going to agree and disagree somewhat.  Maybe my perspective is different because he has started every game for me, and I got his big game yesterday.

His volatility this year makes him very hard to own, but the raw fantasy points are more than acceptable.  

In terms of wins-losses for your team, I'm sure there are many owners banging their heads.  With his point distribution, you can argue that he was a net negative in 4 of 6 games and helped you only in 2 of 6.  That hurts.  Add to this that many owners may have benched Diggs yesterday due to poor performance, and now Diggs has only helped you in 1 game out of 6 for the season.  I had Corey Davis last year and I would stick him in my lineup for like 3 games straight and he would be terrible, and as soon as I benched him, he'd go off for like 100 yds and a td.  So...in practice, he was just a massive negative.  Same thing may have happened to Diggs owners..  So I get it.

From a total points perspective, if you started him every game, he is a big positive.  His point total is higher than what you would have expected, and assuming your league uses total points as a record tiebreaker, he is helping quite a bit.  That can't be argued.  His huge game yesterday has helped me jump 2 other teams that have the same exact record as me, just based on points.

WR is by far the most volatile position.  Only the very top WRs show a lot of consistency.  The rest of the WRs are typically very up and down.  Big games mixed with bad ones.  It's just the nature of them having very small touches compared to a RB or QB, and not knowing what will happen with them.  Would we prefer if he scored exactly 11 points per game as his average is?  Of course.  But to say he is a bust because of his point distribution is more due to the frustration of owning him than his actual production.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The issue with this production is that even if you started him (as I did), I didn’t need 41 0.5ppr points. I beat my opponent by nearly 70 points. I could have used some of those points a few weeks ago when he put up 3-15-0 and I lost by fewer than 10 pts.

Yes, the season-long points help for playoff seeding, but you’ve got to get there first. Now I feel like I have to start him every week (because how can you sit a guy capable of doing this any given week), even though I know there are some more 4 target games coming.

Edited by eg4190
  • Like 3

We're gonna be point chasing with this guy all season now, and I think we know it.

The Eagles game was set up perfectly for him.  Now we have to wonder...

Can the Lions stop the run and score points against this defense? (probably not)

Will the Redskins stay in the game at all? (lol)

Are the Chiefs going to fix their run defense deficiencies given that the past two teams that played them ran the ball to beat them?

Are the Cowboys gonna fix their offensive line issues in time to be competitive?

Do you want to play anyone on offense against Denver?

Do you want to run the ball or throw it against Seattle?

Are the Chargers an unfixable mess that looks terrible on offense the whole year?

Do we trust him against GB after week 2?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

The issue with this production is that even if you started him (as I do), I didn’t need 41 0.5ppr points. I beat my opponent by nearly 70 points. I could have used some of those points a few weeks ago when he put up 3-15-0 and I lost by fewer than 10 pts.

Yes, the season-long points help for playoff seeding, but you’ve got to get there first. Now I feel like I have to start him every week (because how can you sit a guy capable of doing this every week), even though I know there are some more 4 target games coming.

Agree - he has been way more volatile than even the average WR.  I mean...the dude had literally half his season's fantasy points in one game yesterday.  It was good to see the explosion yesterday though.

Still, I think we need to temper our expectations a bit going forward.

Cousins still only threw 29 times, and he threw for 4 TDs.  This is probably going to be his only 4 TD game of the year, and 29 throws is still not enough volume to sustain both Thielen and Diggs every week.  We will have more clunkers coming, but I think they will be mixed in with good games.  Last year we saw plenty of games where both Diggs and Thielen were stars.  Now it's probably going to be one or the other.

That doesn't mean Diggs can't end up as a good WR2 this year.

Edited by Brownsfan74

3 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Who gets Slay Diggs or Thielen?

Likely Diggs.

5 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Who gets Slay Diggs or Thielen?

He's gotten Slay in the past.

Hasn't always been a problem.

TD saved his week last go around.  But he's had some usable weeks otherwise.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/?opp_id=det

I'm more concerned with them developing the early lead.

The way I see it is that Pandora's box has been opened with the offense.  I'm not saying Cousins is going to become amazingly consistent or that they'll become a past first team, but now that they've got the passing game clicking they are going to have to incorporate it more.  If they can successfully do so they'll still have plenty of opportunity to establish the run like they want to.

Obviously this is contingent on Cousins not playing like a turd against competent passing defenses, which the Eagles are not, and that factor is hard to predict.  But you have to think now that they've seen success with the pass under this coordinator that they'll put it to use more, especially since it is translating to wins.  I expect and hope to see a much more consistent baseline from Diggs and hopefully no more 3 for 20 type games.

Just now, CharlesCC2 said:

The way I see it is that Pandora's box has been opened with the offense.  I'm not saying Cousins is going to become amazingly consistent or that they'll become a past first team, but now that they've got the passing game clicking they are going to have to incorporate it more.  If they can successfully do so they'll still have plenty of opportunity to establish the run like they want to.

Obviously this is contingent on Cousins not playing like a turd against competent passing defenses, which the Eagles are not, and that factor is hard to predict.  But you have to think now that they've seen success with the pass under this coordinator that they'll put it to use more, especially since it is translating to wins.  I expect and hope to see a much more consistent baseline from Diggs and hopefully no more 3 for 20 type games.

The Packers just ran 29 times for 170 yards on the Lions.  Jones and Williams have been a nice combo for them, but I shudder to think what Zimmer's game plan looks like against these guys.

I don't think it'll be Chiefs East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The Packers just ran 29 times for 170 yards on the Lions.  Jones and Williams have been a nice combo for them, but I shudder to think what Zimmer's game plan looks like against these guys.

Completely fair, especially with what the first four games looked like.  Still optimistic that they'll mix it up more now that they actually see it working, especially since they should in theory have perhaps the most effective play action sell in the league.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Haha, Chiefs East.  I think that's actually Atlanta.

Lots of red flags still with Diggs.  The guy had a huge game but he had two long TDs.  As Will Fuller owners know, you can't depend on that.

Having said that, Diggs is now the #11 overall WR.  His volatility is terrible, but I think you have to roll with him anyway.  The past 2 weeks have been a more balanced offense.  Sure, they could decide to run the Lions into the ground, but one of Diggs or Thielen should still have a good game and it could be Diggs.

• Like 1

Just now, CharlesCC2 said:

Completely fair, especially with what the first four games looked like.  Still optimistic that they'll mix it up more now that they actually see it working, especially since they should in theory have perhaps the most effective play action sell in the league.

I get the distinct impression that sans them playing the worst pass funnel defense in the league, waiting for the run to start selling play action is gonna take longer than Godot.

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Haha, Chiefs East.  I think that's actually Atlanta.

Lots of red flags still with Diggs.  The guy had a huge game but he had two long TDs.  As Will Fuller owners know, you can't depend on that.

Having said that, Diggs is now the #11 overall WR.  His volatility is terrible, but I think you have to roll with him anyway.  The past 2 weeks have been a more balanced offense.  Sure, they could decide to run the Lions into the ground, but one of Diggs or Thielen should still have a good game and it could be Diggs.

I'll put it this way...

If I have to do this, I'm gonna be a huge Lions fan in quarters 1-3.  Basically my new job is to root against the Vikings Defense.

Look what you've done to me Zim.