dylanj

Dalvin Cook 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Dalvin cook wasnt a top 5 back at anytime last year. Even if you only count the weeks he was healthy at the end of the year (roughly week 12 to week 17) he does make it to rb 7 in that time frame in half ppr. Which also didnt have todd Gurley for a stretch and 3 games without james connor and melvin gordon battling injuries. 

If I'm not mistaken the only time dalvin was top 5 was his first 4 weeks of his pro career. Not alot of evidence to draw conclusions from (unless your a damien williams truther). However I love cook and would love to have him but probably not as my RB1

THIS

So overrated.  The first 4 weeks of his pro career were the same weeks that Kareem Hunt was averaging 35 ppg (only a slight hyperbole).  Cook has never done anything to warrant the hype he's received.  Easily the most overrated RB in the NFL. 

The next Ameer Abdullah?

Aside from Theilen, the Vikings offense was a big frustration to watch last year. I completely glossed over their shotty offensive line. Cook is boom or bust...leaning towards bust. I will be avoiding but may consider if he falls to me late 3rd or 4th round.

Over the final 6 games in standard full point PPR, Cook averaged 17.95 points a game. The talent and the boom is there. The question remains is can he stay healthy? Tomorrow at pick 18 a lot of it will be decided. I do believe he ends up being a top 10 rb next year.

I’m buying. Oline improves, no Lat Murray. Health is obviously the only risk. Steal in mid 2 if the trainers rub him the right way

• Haha 1

Cook is most dangerous in space where I can see him in a role much like Alvin Kamara. Much like Fournette, I can see him missing a couple of games where it might be a good idea to handcuff him, however, I see him producing very well in the passing game even if he doesn't reach 1000 yards rushing. He doesn't appear to be the biggest TD threat, but I can totally see him with over 50 receptions and averaging over 9 yards a catch. I like Cook as a low-end RB1 in a PPR ...but like Kamara, not as much in a standard. 

Also, remember that this is Cook's 2nd year back from an ACL. Often players have a sub-par year in their first year back, and then have a break-out year the following year. So, this could be a huge year for Cook. It's the same thing with the Bears WR Allen Robinson. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, joshua18 said:

THIS

So overrated.  The first 4 weeks of his pro career were the same weeks that Kareem Hunt was averaging 35 ppg (only a slight hyperbole).  Cook has never done anything to warrant the hype he's received.  Easily the most overrated RB in the NFL. 

Eh. He was exceptional in college and burst onto the pro scene before getting his legs destroyed. 

If he stays healthy this year, I'm expecting big things. At his draft cost its hard to justify tho cause you're drafting him next to proven commodities. It's tough to win a fantasy championship with upside until upside finally becomes reality (if ever). 

• Like 4

I don't think he's being talked about enough. The Vikings want to go back to a run-heavy offense, which they enforced when they employed Stefanski as the OC late last season. They also hired Kubiak who specializes in the outside zone run game, something I think Cook would excel in. They drafted Bradberry in rd 1 which many think will become Pro Bowl center, Irv Smith in rd 2 who was thought to be the best blocking TE in the draft after Hockenson, and Oklahoma G Dru Samia in rd 4 who is an absolutely nasty road-grade run blocking type. 

Latavius is gone and Mattison should step in to that role, however, I wouldn't count on the rook getting too much playing time right away. If Cook takes advantage of a 3-down workhorse role early in the season, I can't imagine he'll cede too much to Mattison going forward. He approached 20 touches per game over the last 4 weeks of the season (18, 20, 19, 15) with Lat Murray there. His chops in the pass game make him even more appealing.

Coupled with a strong defense that should keep the Vikings out of catch-up mode often, I think Cook would bring great value in the mid and even early 2nd. After the studs are gone (Zeke, Saquon, Kamara, McCaffrey, Mixon, Gordon, Bell), I think you could slot Cook in the Conner, Chubb, DJ group without any problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

I don't think he's being talked about enough. The Vikings want to go back to a run-heavy offense, which they enforced when they employed Stefanski as the OC late last season. They also hired Kubiak who specializes in the outside zone run game, something I think Cook would excel in. They drafted Bradberry in rd 1 which many think will become Pro Bowl center, Irv Smith in rd 2 who was thought to be the best blocking TE in the draft after Hockenson, and Oklahoma G Dru Samia in rd 4 who is an absolutely nasty road-grade run blocking type. 

Latavius is gone and Mattison should step in to that role, however, I wouldn't count on the rook getting too much playing time right away. If Cook takes advantage of a 3-down workhorse role early in the season, I can't imagine he'll cede too much to Mattison going forward. He approached 20 touches per game over the last 4 weeks of the season (18, 20, 19, 15) with Lat Murray there. His chops in the pass game make him even more appealing.

Coupled with a strong defense that should keep the Vikings out of catch-up mode often, I think Cook would bring great value in the mid and even early 2nd. After the studs are gone (Zeke, Saquon, Kamara, McCaffrey, Mixon, Gordon, Bell), I think you could slot Cook in the Conner, Chubb, DJ group without any problem.

Unfortunately the injuries are a huge concern and you are not really getting any discount to account for that risk.  If Cook stays healthy, then yes, he should be great for all the reasons that you mention above.  Usually guys coming of 2 injury plagued seasons can be had outside of the middle of rd 2.

26 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Unfortunately the injuries are a huge concern and you are not really getting any discount to account for that risk.  If Cook stays healthy, then yes, he should be great for all the reasons that you mention above.  Usually guys coming of 2 injury plagued seasons can be had outside of the middle of rd 2.

Definitely fair, but he’s healthy now and didn’t deal with too many injury concerns at Florida St IIRC.

DJ would had 2 straight season ending injuries (2016 was a serious knee injury it just happened in week 17) and he was taken in the top 5 last year. I know that DJ has flashed absolutely elite talent at the NfL level that Cook hasn’t, but that’s just to say that being scared about an injury shouldn’t effect things thaaaaat much from the prior year in my eyes. Cook was taken at the 1-2 turn last year and is in an even better situation which I outlined above. Chubb had awful injury problems in college, Gordon gets hurt annually in the last half of the season.  

These guys get hurt there’s no avoiding it, you just have to seek the highest possible upside and have contingencies in place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Definitely fair, but he’s healthy now and didn’t deal with too many injury concerns at Florida St IIRC.

well, we have the pedal ankle sprain in 2015, so that's one.

and i guess you're counting cooks' shoulder labrum tear in 2014 and the the re-injured shoulder labrum tear in 2016 as one injury because it's the same shoulder?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

well, we have the pedal ankle sprain in 2015, so that's one.

and i guess you're counting cooks' shoulder labrum tear in 2014 and the the re-injured shoulder labrum tear in 2016 as one injury because it's the same shoulder?

giphy.gif

Well i guess I stand corrected in some respects, I do remember the shoulder now that you mention it. 

However, he rushed for over 4400 yards in just 3 seasons at FSU, 2nd most in ACC history, and would’ve been the leader by over 1000 had he stayed his senior year. He must’ve stayed healthy enough to do that, just saying.

• Like 1

lol @ 2d round.  Maybe he'll finally stay healthy and put up big numbers, but I won't touch him with a 10' pole. 

• Like 1

Were last year's struggles due more to him coming back off the ACL, where another year removed from that he should be 100% good to go in 2019?
Or, is he just kinda injury prone? 

10 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Were last year's struggles due more to him coming back off the ACL, where another year removed from that he should be 100% good to go in 2019?

I’d be a little concerned about him being injury prone. If he stays healthy though I think he ends up with a top 5 season at RB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’d be a little concerned about him being injury prone. If he stays healthy though I think he ends up with a top 5 season at RB. 

That pretty much sums up all that needs to be said. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The G Man said:

If I remember correctly, he had a hamstring issue midseason.

What I remember clearly is the Vikings' terrible offensive line, boding frustration for both Cook and Cousins. If their OL is improved (like, REALLY improved), I may be swayed to buy in on Cook again. PPR beast.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, Olliemets said:

"... The Vikings want to go back to a run-heavy offense, which they enforced when they employed Stefanski as the OC late last season. They also hired Kubiak who specializes in the outside zone run game, something I think Cook would excel in. They drafted Bradberry in rd 1 which many think will become Pro Bowl center, Irv Smith in rd 2 who was thought to be the best blocking TE in the draft after Hockenson, and Oklahoma G Dru Samia in rd 4 who is an absolutely nasty road-grade run blocking type. 

Latavius is gone and Mattison should step in to that role, however, I wouldn't count on the rook getting too much playing time right away. If Cook takes advantage of a 3-down workhorse role early in the season, I can't imagine he'll cede too much to Mattison going forward. He approached 20 touches per game over the last 4 weeks of the season (...) with Lat Murray there. His chops in the pass game make him even more appealing. ..."

Appreciate the insight in regard to what they've done. I happen to disagree with respect to both players (Cook & Mattison) however. It isn't that Cook can't produce, nor do I deny his exceptional skill set, but rather can he hold up? As others have noted, he's too high. I really don't like that he tore his ACL on a non-contact run. Worse, the change of direction he was attempting to make was modest. Perhaps the knee was loose to begin with & he now has a better knee? Coming out, not only did he have a history of injury but concentration lapses, ball security issues & an array of extra-curricular activities off the field.

I reviewed Alexander Mattison vs Fresno St, Utah St & San Diego St ('17). His 40-time was junk & probably pushed him back. Like Darrell Henderson, seems comfortable carrying the ball only in one hand. Doesn't possess that quick-twitch suddenness to turn a bad play around. To me, fights for meaningless yards. But check him at the combine, big & physical with a low center. Watching him, he gets better the more he's fed! Comfortable receiver & can finish down near the goal. It's just me but to reach for Cook & pass on the cheap insurance isn't sound strategy. 

Edited by markrc99

I’ll go on record here to let everyone know I plan on reaching for Cook 2nd round unless Conner is still there depending where I pick. I will keep everyone updated on how poorly my season goes lol. 

32 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Appreciate the insight in regard to what they've done. I happen to disagree with respect to both players (Cook & Mattison) however. It isn't that Cook can't produce, nor do I deny his exceptional skill set, but rather can he hold up? As others have noted, he's too high. I really don't like that he tore his ACL on a non-contact run. Worse, the change of direction he was attempting to make was modest. Perhaps the knee was loose to begin with & he now has a better knee? Coming out, not only did he have a history of injury but concentration lapses, ball security issues & an array of extra-curricular activities off the field.

I reviewed Alexander Mattison vs Fresno St, Utah St & San Diego St ('17). His 40-time was junk & probably pushed him back. Like Darrell Henderson, seems comfortable carrying the ball only in one hand. Doesn't possess that quick-twitch suddenness to turn a bad play around. To me, fights for meaningless yards. But check him at the combine, big & physical with a low center. Watching him, he gets better the more he's fed! Comfortable receiver & can finish down near the goal. It's just me but to reach for Cook & pass on the cheap insurance isn't sound strategy. 

That's gonna be a problem, because he's not gonna get fed much..

To be fair, lots of the top RB's have cheap/free insurance that would likely step in and do an admirable job if #1 went down (Armstead, Gio, Edmonds, Weber/Pollard, Wilkins, Dion, etc.), that's just the nature of the position. Cook is one of the most talented RB's in football, his advance metrics are off the charts in terms of making the 1st guy miss and is also very solid at gaining YAC. They made some quality improvements to the OL, and are obviously going forward as a run-first team with the retaining of Stefanski and hiring of Kubiak.

The one thing that scared me in this backfield is that many assumed Mattison would get the GL work because he's the bigger back, but recent reports out of camp say Cook is the guy at the GL too. I don't let injuries scare me off, most RB's are gonna miss games at one point or another. If he were to play 14-16 games, he'd easily b a top 10 RB IMO and is worthy of a pick in the mid-early 2nd. 

P.S. Sorry for not posting links to some of my claims, I don't have the time to go back and cite my resources. 

Does this offense w/ Cousins at QB feed the ball to the RB enough?  Do they check down enough?  I think Cook is super valuable - not sure if he is going to get to prove it though. 

6 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Does this offense w/ Cousins at QB feed the ball to the RB enough?  Do they check down enough?  I think Cook is super valuable - not sure if he is going to get to prove it though. 

He fed Chris Thompson plenty in WAS. Cook caught 40 balls on 49 targets in 10 games last year, I'd say he's a good bet to get over 60 catches this season. After drafting Irv Smith in the 2nd and re-signing Rudolph to a heinous deal (not sure why they did that), I'd venture to say they'll be in more 2-wide sets, helping his outlook even more.

• Like 2

Injuries the only thing holding him back. He'll get a ton of work if he's healthy in this new system, and I can't predict injuries.

Last years hamstring was clearly an injury caused by compensating for a un-fully-healed ACL tear, so I'm not too worried about it. He was dinged up a lot in college but he didn't really miss time at all.