dzemens

Yasmani Grandal 2019 Outlook

With the signing of his one year 18.25 million dollar deal imminent it seems a good time to open up a thread on him. Hes been a very productive catcher, playing in a division thats not conducive to offense (SF, SD, ARI + Humidor) in the NL west and a home park that has limiting factors as well. A move to the Brewers, a team with a good lineup and a good park in a division of pretty good parks should help that production out as well. With his framing ability, offensive ability and lack of realistic competition in Milwaukee he should be in for a healthy number of games and AB as well. Outside the bad economics of baseball, this is a very good landing spot for fantasy purposes and further bolsters him as one of the few catchers Id actually want to roster.

• Like 1

He's the number 2 or 3 catcher in the NL at the moment.  Great landing spot for him in Milwaukee.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

Wow sick analysis.  The guy is a human windmill who will be exploited by the pitchers in this division. Avoid avoid avoid 

Are you still hurt that he spurned the Mets?

It's a great fantasy landing spot for him.  Half his games in Milwaukee?  Sign me up.

Was it pretty dumb to take the guaranteed money the Mets were offering?  Sure considering the wear and tear on catchers.  But, a big season in an offensive park could still net him the deal he was looking for.

• Like 3

Love the move for his outlook this year. He’ll certainly be on my radar in drafts I think he’ll have a productive season

3 hours ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

Wow sick analysis.  The guy is a human windmill who will be exploited by the pitchers in this division. Avoid avoid avoid 

A human windmill who has never had a season with a wRC+ under 100 and has four straight seasons with at least a .750 OPS? I wish my team had human windmills like that.

If we judge every player based on their performance in the postseason, we would have lots of scrubs in the Majors....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

You seem to be lost. This isn't Mike Zunnio thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

He's one of the best hitting catchers in the game.

Could make a case for him as the No.2 catcher in fantasy - with Sanchez batting .186, Posey hitting 5HR and maybe not ready for OD with hip surgery and Contreras taking a step back.  

He makes Justin Upton look like steady Eddy. Incredibly streaky, he's on my DND list in H2H. In Roto you have to play him and stick with him.

His average blows, but he walks a lot so is elevated in OBP leagues. Strikes out a ton and lost for a month at a time.

If he ever put together a full year you could catch lightning in a bottle, but that typically leaves him overdrafted.

19 hours ago, parrothead said:

Could make a case for him as the No.2 catcher in fantasy - with Sanchez batting .186, Posey hitting 5HR and maybe not ready for OD with hip surgery and Contreras taking a step back.  

I'd take Wilson Ramos over him any day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'd take Wilson Ramos over him any day.

The real #2 C

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taobball said:

The real #2 C

Kind of depends what you are looking for.  

* Grandal has 3 straight years with at least 22HR, 22HR is Ramos career high - and he has only topped 20HR once. 

* Taking out SB since neither of them run, looking back at their last 3 full seasons (threw out 17 since Ramos missed over half of it) looking at the 4 traditional categories of AVG, HR, RBI and Runs, going head to head they would be 6-6 against each other. 

* Age is roughly the same - Grandal is slightly younger about 14 months which is not a big deal. 

When it comes to the new location, I give the edge to Grandal - its not a huge difference between the two and if you were targeting average and not adding a liability in that category or as some mentioned the H2H consistence and swings of a Grandal, I can certainly see where some would prefer Ramos.   For my own settings and league, which is season long roto and preference which because catchers have the fewest at-bats and honestly for me if Im sitting there in March in a draft and I say "I need a C now" and only one off the board is Realmuto, who am I kidding, I am going Sanchez, then depending on health updates might even take a crack at Posey.   If reports on Posey are good these two are probably 4 and 5 for me. 

Just now, parrothead said:

Kind of depends what you are looking for.  

Well yes and no. I agree with you, if you need power that Grandal will provide more. But at the same time there is always an overall list of players. Saying that Khris Davis is a better player than Trea Turner IF you're looking for power is also true. 

I have Ramos projected very highly. He's been a stud with teh bat since his lasik or whatever eye surgery before his breakout year. He's not the greatest glove, but that's as irrelevant to me as it is to the team paying him millions to play for them. It's not that long since Ramos went .307/22 in this very division. Last year he went .306/15 with less PT. I have him at like .290 and 17-20 HRs. I'll bet that line still outproduces Grandal.

That said, Grandal may be my #3 C now. (Sanchez down to #4). I reallly like the Milwaukee situation. But I love Ramos. 

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

Well yes and no. I agree with you, if you need power that Grandal will provide more. But at the same time there is always an overall list of players. Saying that Khris Davis is a better player than Trea Turner IF you're looking for power is also true. 

I have Ramos projected very highly. He's been a stud with teh bat since his lasik or whatever eye surgery before his breakout year. He's not the greatest glove, but that's as irrelevant to me as it is to the team paying him millions to play for them. It's not that long since Ramos went .307/22 in this very division. Last year he went .306/15 with less PT. I have him at like .290 and 17-20 HRs. I'll bet that line still outproduces Grandal.

That said, Grandal may be my #3 C now. (Sanchez down to #4). I reallly like the Milwaukee situation. But I love Ramos. 

FWIW - and could be not much for a couple reasons, one is the change you mentioned and the other is the P staffs they faced but..

Ramos career OPS is .756 and Grandal is .782, when talking career long thats pretty much a wash, but Ramos career OPS at Citi drops below career avg to .697 where Grandals at Miller goes up over .100 to .885,  

Your point about categorical is valid, but Im applying to players who are essentially same tier, same position etc.  versus taking a 3rd or 4th rounder DH only comping him to a 1st rounder SS.  For me would be more like preference of a Stanton vs Marte or maybe two pitchers on same tier where one is a ratio guy and one is a strikeout asset 

The original post I simply said one might look at Grandal as the No.2 catcher given some of the question marks of the others.  Obviously you dont, you prefer Ramos, I would probably give Sanchez another crack as my no.2 overall.  

On 1/10/2019 at 10:00 PM, StevieStats said:

He makes Justin Upton look like steady Eddy. Incredibly streaky, he's on my DND list in H2H. In Roto you have to play him and stick with him.

His average blows, but he walks a lot so is elevated in OBP leagues. Strikes out a ton and lost for a month at a time.

If he ever put together a full year you could catch lightning in a bottle, but that typically leaves him overdrafted.

Just to show his extreme inconsistency here are his monthly splits for 2018:

Mth: HR, RBI, AVG, OPS

Apr: 4, 20, .315, .953

May: 4, 9, .181, .662

Jun: 3, 10, .162, .521

Jul: 6, 14, .364, 1.215

Aug: 5, 7, .162, .695

Sep: 2, 8, .254, .815

For this reason he's a DND in H2H for me. I had him in Roto last year and traded him after he heated up in July with no regrets. 

If he ever puts a full year together he could have a monster season, but he usually gets drafted/auctioned far too high for me to want to take that risk.

The catcher position is a disaster though. He's one of the better options, sadly. But it's such a bad position I'm happy investing nothing and playing musical chairs with hot hands.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1

May have to consider him as a keeper given the lack of C depth. After Realmuto you could argue who's number 2.

Given 450 ABs I think you can count on 20+ homers from Grandalf. But does that come with a .210 avg. or .265?

Finally ... his first hits of the season 

Started 0-11 ... 2-3 today 

Wish they would stop hitting him leadoff. Deep slump now. 

Dude's not a leadoff hitter cmon.

• Like 1