Sign in to follow this  
jmoney23

Chicago Bears 2019 Outlook

Even after the Mack trade (LOL Gruden), not many people, fans and non-fans alike, expected this level of success from the Bears.  With a stout defense, improved QB play, and impressive contributions from young skill players like Cohen and Miller, everything just seemed to click for the Bears.  After a heartbreaking loss to the Eagles in the divisional round, it's time to look ahead to the off-season and 2019.

I expect the Bears to build off of 2018 and compete for the divisional title again in 2019.  I think the defense takes a step back because they just had a season in terms of takeaways, sacks, and overall performance that will be very tough to match.  Also, losing DC and overall defensive wiz Vic Fangio will sting, although there's plenty in the cupboard to work with for the new coordinator.  Key FAs like Adrian Amos, Bryce Callahan, and Bobby Massie should command good money on the market, which could price the Bears out potentially all 3 guys.  There is some fear that the Bears turn into a pumpkin a la Jacksonville, but with steady (and improving QB play) and better playmakers, hopefully the "ahead of their timeline" Bears go the route of the Rams and not the Jags.

What does everyone else think about the team heading into the offseason and 2019?  Is there sustained success and a sizeable window open or do you see this as a potential "one-year wonder" (at least for now)?

56 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

8-8

I agree that this year won't be as good as last, with the harder schedule, lack of Fangio, etc., but I also see the rest of the division having significant other problems. Lions still have some major issues to iron out. Viking's offense looked terrible without Shurmur, they have O-Line concerns, and have a defense that, while strong, is older than the Bears. Harrison Smith, Linval Joseph, and Everson Griffen at least are all 30+ next year. No one on the Bear's list that DHC posted (Mack, Roquon, fuller, Eddie Jackson, Amos, Hicks, trevathan) will start next year at 30+ YO, and only Hicks gets there in season. The Bears defense is on the come-up and still young. A good number of the Vikings best players are getting older, and the Bears easily have more impactful defensive players right now on Rookie deals with Roquan and Jackson. Also don't sleep on Bilal Nichols next year on the Defensive Side. Got great PFF reviews as a fifth round rookie out of Delaware. He should be a stud next to Eddie Goldman (who is an omission IMO from DHC's list-- Goldman is a huge piece of the defense, a great NT, and just left his Rookie deal) and Akiem Hicks as an every week starter.

The Packers legitimately concern me. I think Mike Pettine is a pretty solid DC. Matt LaFleur I'm not necessarily too worried about. I think he can make things a lot better for the Packers offense for sure, but they already have Rodgers, and I honestly am wondering how the dynamic between LaFleur and Rodgers settles more than anything. But I think the Packers are improving on defense in the secondary, and I think they're getting closer to having a pretty good defensive unit if they can add some pass rush. 

Bears may have lost the January game, but they still went 7-1 at home in the regular season for a reason. They'll be a tough destination in 2019 as well, with a defense that can cause a lot of disruption in noise. 

I also don't think it's crazy to think that we'll have a lot of offensive progression in year two with an offense. Miller was a rookie, AR didn't get to play with MT10 during the offseason very much because of his injury, and it is pretty typical for QBs to see growth in year two within a system. I'm interested to see who's in the backfield with him next year. 

• Like 1

I like drafting fallen angels and heartbreakers.

The bears coaches are going to review this season and realize they have to improve on offense and be able to move the ball downfield  and quickly getting it out of trubiskys hands.  They can't win games if he is one of the leading rushers

Arob is going to be cheap next year, so I'm going to target him. Trubisky likes to look downfield for the big play, 

I'm also keeping burton on my radar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bears are legit on D.

Mack, Roquon, fuller, Eddie Jackson, Amos, Hicks, trevathan. 

They will be fine. Offense has to find consistency

Talent + no coaching = top 10 draft pick, which goes to the Raiders. 

The Raiders defense sucked with Mack, that's why Gruden traded him.

Who is the defensive coordinator?

The Bears are going to go from one of the weakest schedules in the NFL to probably the toughest. The good news is they get the Saints, Chargers and Chiefs at home, but it's hard to look at that schedule and say double digit wins is likely. 

9 minutes ago, RepoMan said:

The Bears are going to go from one of the weakest schedules in the NFL to probably the toughest. The good news is they get the Saints, Chargers and Chiefs at home, but it's hard to look at that schedule and say double digit wins is likely. 

This is really something to take into account. It’s a reason why you need a legit team to contend year after year. Teams can put up a good season because they did bad, had some improvement, and then play bums because of the way scheduling works. Then next season they flop because they play good teams. Bears only beat 3 teams with a winning record this season. Now their DC is gone who was a huge reason for their success as well. 

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is really something to take into account. It’s a reason why you need a legit team to contend year after year. Teams can put up a good season because they did bad, had some improvement, and then play bums because of the way scheduling works. Then next season they flop because they play good teams. Bears only beat 3 teams with a winning record this season. Now their DC is gone who was a huge reason for their success as well. 

If the Bears D can get better after Buddy Ryan left, I'm pretty sure it can survive Fangio leaving...it's all about the horses getting sacks & turnovers.  

You keep bringing up the 3 team thing...not sure how that compares with the other teams in the playoffs.

Looks like KC had 3 wins vs teams a winning record this season, the Bears notched 4 wins vs winning teams > you can't discount the sweep of the Vikings as one win.

The rest are like this after a quick look:

Saints - 5

Patriots - 5

Chargers - 2

Rams - 5

Cowboys - 3

*This is why you guys need me guarding hubris around the stat fence.

Edited by psygolf

13 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Looks like KC had 3 wins vs teams a winning record this season, the Bears notched 4 wins vs winning teams > you can't discount the sweep of the Vikings as one win.

Saints - 4

Patriots - 5

Chargers - 2

Rams - 5

Cowboys - 3

Make that 4 for the Saints.

Before any offseason moves...9-7 is not too hard to see, which could still win the division.

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Saints - 5

Patriots - 5

Chargers - 2

Rams - 5

Cowboys - 3

I said teams. By the way, Vikings suck. They only beat one team with a winning record which was an early season struggling Eagles. You can actually make an argument that the Bears only had one impressive win. I’ve stated multiple times their style of play does not work against good teams. For them to contend next year they’ll either have to resort to an offense closer to Seattle (never going to happen with Nagy) or Trubisky is going to have to drastically improve. That’s not impossible but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

I'm not entirely sold on Nagy - he needs to change some things up. Burton - who knows - maybe he isn't that good but without some sort of explanation he was criminally underutilized. 

The Bears' game plan in the game that ended their season was pretty much the epitome of what holds the Bears back - lack of simple common sense when you have one of the league's best RBs in Howard and you don't use him and lean instead on the 2nd yr QB. 

AROB is a sometimes-WR1. Just to sort of hammer the nail a bit harder he had probably his best game in a loss - it's the same crap he did in obscurity w/JAX. Bears need an upgrade there. Miller, Gabriel are smurfs, the entity formerly known as "Kevin White" cannot seriously relied upon at this point.

Cohen is a game-changer in his own right. Like Howard - underutilized.

I'm only focusing on the offensive problems because this defense has the window wide open. Fangio was great but the Bears will likely upgrade if they can get a Bowles, Joseph. Worst case they get Greg Williams which would probably be a lateral move.

If Nagy can become focused somehow, call a coherent game plan on a consistent basis there's no way the Bears miss the playoffs next year regardless of schedule.

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I said teams. By the way, Vikings suck. They only beat one team with a winning record which was an early season struggling Eagles. You can actually make an argument that the Bears only had one impressive win. I’ve stated multiple times their style of play does not work against good teams. For them to contend next year they’ll either have to resort to an offense closer to Seattle (never going to happen with Nagy) or Trubisky is going to have to drastically improve. That’s not impossible but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

The others in the playoffs doubled up also...you can't beat who you don't play.  

Seattle needs to go back to leaning on RW if they want to make the playoffs

Trubisky had a top 4-5 QBR this year

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

what do you mean by seattle offense?

Run first? 

Edited by bhawks489

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

The others in the playoffs doubled up also...you can't beat who you don't play.  

Seattle needs to go back to leaning on RW if they want to make the playoffs

Trubisky had a top 4-5 QBR this year

I agree that Seattle needs to go back to Wilson because their defense isn’t good enough for them to be run first AND it’s a waste of Wilson.

See? It’s not hard to admit teams faults. Every time a team that hasn’t been good for a while does something the fans get easily offended. Look at Jaguars fans last year 

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

what do you mean by seattle offense?

Run first? 

Reliant on ball control to maximize the effectiveness of the defense and minimize mistakes. So yes run first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I agree that Seattle needs to go back to Wilson because their defense isn’t good enough for them to be run first AND it’s a waste of Wilson.

See? It’s not hard to admit teams faults. Every time a team that hasn’t been good for a while does something the fans get easily offended. Look at Jaguars fans last year 

Reliant on ball control to maximize the effectiveness of the defense and minimize mistakes. So yes run first.

Easy to defend...they do not have the OL for that.  You're asking to do something they can't do.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Easy to defend...they do not have the OL for that.  You're asking to do something they can't do.

They actually do have the o line for that. They just had an absolutely horrible running scheme.