AF25

German Marquez 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

Cubs are playing well, Marquez just not as sharp as last season. Had an inkling it was a sit.

? He was cruising with like 40 pitches until the 5th inning 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 6Kill said:

Not at all.  I'm expecting ace-like numbers out of him tonight.

Anddddddd 8 ER...... yikes.

He was not helped at all by David Dahl airmailng a throw home. I think at that point he got rattled. 

Home start against the team that just shelled him.. do we roll the dice here or are we sitting? This guy was drafted as an SP2 with an Sp1 ceiling for alot of us... hate to sit my "studs," but last week hurt

I'm not expecting anything below a 4 ERA and a 1.3 WHIP, but I have consigned myself to just start this dude every time he pitches. The Ks are still there and he's pitching deep enough into games to make it worth the gamble for me. Other pitchers have disappointed me this year, and I've moved to the strategy of chasing Ks and QS each week with ratios as icing on the cake. If/when he ever returns to his second-half form last year, it'll be gravy.

I'm hoping he took a long hard look @ the last start and makes the necessary changes to his pitch mix. His swinging strike rate is way too high to have anything below 9 K/9 honestly. 

Two home starts.  Gonna be tough to start him in weekly leagues but I’m biting my tongue and throwing him out there....

1 hour ago, GratefulPhan said:

After last night's game at Coor's, I'm thinking it's a sit for Marquez today.

exactly he's looked shaky in 2 of his last 3 starts.  And after yesterday Coors explosion i think this is a fairly easy sit.  Sure he will get you strikeouts but this game could be a whip killer.

20 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

exactly he's looked shaky in 2 of his last 3 starts.  And after yesterday Coors explosion i think this is a fairly easy sit.  Sure he will get you strikeouts but this game could be a whip killer.

I am leaning the opposite way personally, but I'm probably just rationalizing starting him to myself. Both teams exerted a lot of energy last night, so I think today will be a much lower scoring affair. Depends on league size I guess, but in my 14 teamer, I'm rolling him out there.

So is this guy Jon Gray redux? He and Nola are getting on my last nerves. Marquez was supposed to be a solid SP2/3, but he hasn’t been. I guess he’s been decent overall in WHIP and has provided more than 100 K and 7 wins. But still. 

Posted (edited)

I watched this game and he very clearly lost control in the last inning. He should have been pulled, but (I'm guessing) due the the reasonable pitch count Estevez was not ready to prevent the complete meltdown. His value comes from playing in the NL West where a 4 ERA and 9+ k/9 will get the job done. He is more Gray than ace, a very generous SP3.

Edited by itaos

He’s still an SP2 on the road.  In this environment with juiced baseballs and weather heating up, he’s just another guy in Coors.  He’s an auto start on the road.  Just have to take your medicine or bench him when he’s at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He’s still an SP2 on the road.  In this environment with juiced baseballs and weather heating up, he’s just another guy in Coors.  He’s an auto start on the road.  Just have to take your medicine or bench him when he’s at home.

Auto start next week vs Dodgers?

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Exactly, plus you can also start him for the strikeouts if your ratios are already ruined.  Which with these juiced balls, tends to happen a lot.  9.06 K/9 is nice to have.

4 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

If that’s the case, I’d rather not own him then. If I’m going to carry a SP, I want to know I can count him for more than 100-110 innings, which is essentially what Marquez will give at home. Makes him a streamer, not a roster-worthy pitcher. 

4 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

Exactly, plus you can also start him for the strikeouts if your ratios are already ruined.  Which with these juiced balls, tends to happen a lot.  9.06 K/9 is nice to have.

This is where I'm at with him. Mediocrity with the chance of high upside.

I will bench him at home unless I'm down in the ratios unless he goes on a run like last season again.

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If that’s the case, I’d rather not own him then. If I’m going to carry a SP, I want to know I can count him for more than 100-110 innings, which is essentially what Marquez will give at home. Makes him a streamer, not a roster-worthy pitcher. 

Yea...in this environment it’s the realty unfortunately.  I think he’d be a borderline SP1 on another team.  Most people drafted him for the K’s.  He’s still giving you that, at least.  I don’t think he’s a set it and forget it guy like most people take with their 2nd or 3rd SP.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yea...in this environment it’s the realty unfortunately.  I think he’d be a borderline SP1 on another team.  Most people drafted him for the K’s.  He’s still giving you that, at least.  I don’t think he’s a set it and forget it guy like most people take with their 2nd or 3rd SP.

ERA/WHIP are only 50% of a pitchers value. 4 of his 7 Wins have been at home. You can for sure pick your spots when he's facing a pitcher who even far more likely to eat butt.

Its not ideal, but its better then wasting a roster spot for a guy you only use 50% and wasting those K's and W's on the bench. He's literally NEVER pitched less then 5 innings in a game all year. I don't think you can say that about a ton of pitchers these days. That makes him reliable for K's and in position for a W every singe time out.  Where other pitchers get the quick hook when Pants turn brown on them.

Edited by Slatykamora