Boudewijn

Kareem Hunt 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Please tell me again how Hunt wouldn’t be playing in the NFL this year.

He will be.  6 games is my guess for suspension but it could be less for time served or some other penance.     Bold prediction:  post bye week 

• Like 1

I guess someone had to replace Gordon on the suspended list.  It wouldn't feel like a Browns team without it.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, kdko said:

His career is over and he won't find another gig.  NFL fought hard to get rid of that notion that they accept domestic abusers like Ray Rice.  Whenever there's video on one of these charges, you're absolutely F'ed.  Sorry to any Hunt dynasty owners here.

Yeah, not so much.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard how many years Hunt was signed to? A Cleveland buddy of mind said he's heard it's a one-year deal and that Hunt will be a RFA after 2019. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Spend more time out of the league for kneeling during a song than for allegedly beating up multiple women.  Good job, NFL!

Guy sucks get over it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW Hunt is also from the Cleveland area and the Browns GM John Dorsey drafted him in KC.

Edited by fletch44

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Has anyone heard how many years Hunt was signed to? A Cleveland buddy of mind said he's heard it's a one-year deal and that Hunt will be a RFA after 2019. 

Yeah one year and around $1M. RFA is also confirmed per Shefty. 

I think its trade bait. Similar to what the Jets did with Bridgewater but on a larger scale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Guy sucks get over it

Hunt “sucks”?  Care to elaborate?

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He’ll be a RFA in 2020

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joshmcd94 said:

I think its trade bait. Similar to what the Jets did with Bridgewater but on a larger scale. 

Yep.   Fantastic move by Cleveland.   Zero guaranteed money after this season and he’s restricted.   Trade one of Hunt or Chubb and enjoy a half season of the dynamic duo in the meantime. 

• Like 2

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Yep.   Fantastic move by Cleveland.   Zero guaranteed money after this season and he’s restricted.   Trade one of Hunt or Chubb and enjoy a half season of the dynamic duo in the meantime. 

That's the kicker, the Browns have the control here.  Hunt and Chubb definitely make a good 1-2 punch going into 2019

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Hunt “sucks”?  Care to elaborate?

No your poster boy of overrated QBs who’s been trash since entering the league

4 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Think he was talking about Kaep.

Oh.  Strangely I was actually thinking of the recently announced Eric Reid extension when I wrote that.  It still works just fine.

Song does not equal women-beating.

Edited by BMcP

6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah, from a real-life perspective, it does look like a good move when taking a step back. One year, $1 million, RFA in 2020. Has potential for brilliance, tbh. As a Chubb keeper league owner, it just ticks me off. Haha!! I got the SleeperBot notification and was glad to find myself alone. I let out a very audible...

Image result for nooooo gif the office

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, from a real-life perspective, it does look like a good move when taking a step back. One year, $1 million, RFA in 2020. Has potential for brilliance, tbh. As a Chubb keeper league owners, it just ticks me off. Haha!! I got the SleeperBot notification and was glad to find myself alone. I let out an loudly audible...

Image result for nooooo gif the office

Think this makes Chubb a dynasty target for a short time? Owners reacting to this news, thinking his value is going to plummet.

A one year deal for Hunt doesn’t write off Chubbs future value after 2019, does it? If Hunt resigns, yeah that hurts Chubb. If Chubb gets traded, that might hurt Chubb. If Hunt gets traded, you bought very low on a solid asset. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joshmcd94 said:

How is it trade bait with a player expected to miss a good portion of the season? And many teams are willing to carry multiple talented RB's, especially if they are cheap.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

How is it trade bait with a player expected to miss a good portion of the season? And many teams are willing to carry multiple talented RB's, especially if they are cheap.

How many games will he miss? I'm thinking 6 games. Even if he splits time with Chubb, if Hunt plays well why wouldn't the Browns trade him in 2020? He'll have value, show his wares in 2019, and remind people of who he was in KC. Teams will made a deal for that, imo. 

One of the reasons this signing confused me at first is the same reason I don't see Cleveland keeping both past 2019...they're not complementary backs. This isn't an Ingram-Kamara situation. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. 

You gotta keep in mind Kareem Hunt played college ball at Toledo.  That adds to the reasons why Browns signed him.

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

They don’t need to showcase his talent to trade him. The league knows he has juice. The reason he wasn’t signed was PR, clearly not cost or talent at this point. 

If you’re an NFL owner, the Browns are taking the PR nightmare away. By week 8 (if Hunt is reinstated), you could throw a pick to the Browns for an established running back on a cheap contract for a playoff run. 

If you’re the Browns, Hunt and Chubb don’t have the harmony that Kamara and Ingram’s style have. Not a lot of NFL teams are carrying two backs that feature as a workhorse type guy. The Browns just sold Hyde - why not do it again?

just a thought - thanks for the input!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Joshmcd94 said:

They don’t need to showcase his talent to trade him. The league knows he has juice. The reason he wasn’t signed was PR, clearly not cost or talent at this point. 

If you’re an NFL owner, the Browns are taking the PR nightmare away. By week 8 (if Hunt is reinstated), you could throw a pick to the Browns for an established running back on a cheap contract for a playoff run. 

If you’re the Browns, Hunt and Chubb don’t have the harmony that Kamara and Ingram’s style have. Not a lot of NFL teams are carrying two backs that feature as a workhorse type guy. The Browns just sold Hyde - why not do it again?

just a thought - thanks for the input!

This

Hunt has nothing to prove, there’s 20+ games of tape.   Whether the suspension is 6 games or 16- there will be teams ready to part with assets.    Heck,  it might even be Chubb that gets dealt.  

You could claim that the Browns will get more if Hunt is cleared this season before trade deadline.... but it’s a win either way.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair points. Teams let the Browns get beat up in PR, but then get a chance to secure a young and talented RFA RB. I'm guessing Hunt will be available for the pre-season? Do the Browns even risk playing him? Or just deal him during the summer or possibly before the trade deadline?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Fair points. Teams let the Browns get beat up in PR, but then get a chance to secure a young and talented RFA RB. I'm guessing Hunt will be available for the pre-season? Do the Browns even risk playing him? Or just deal him during the summer or possibly before the trade deadline?

I lean before the trade deadline. A lot of it does come down to when the suspension hits, if it’s appealed and how long. But overall, as non-Browns fan, I think they’ve made a savvy move. 

• Like 2

Shefter just said on NFL Live that Hunt could have a lengthy suspension, possibly 10 or 12 games. 

Thinking about this more, I think Chubb could end up being the guy getting traded here. It really sounds like Dorsey loves Hunt and wanted to get him badly. If they have that solid of a relationship, then would he really want to trade him off after taking the risk to sign him? 

I've had an array of thoughts about this situation since the signing was announced. Now I'm thinking that the Browns want this hometown guy to be the centerpiece of their franchise. If he keeps his nose clean and proves he's the quality of RB we saw in KC, then he's a ticket-seller and a merch-seller. They'd probably make more money off of Hunt than they would off of Chubb. 

So maybe the Browns signed Hunt with the hopeful intention of making him their longterm workhorse. Or maybe Dorsey and Kitchens really do want to have both RBs at their disposal for the next few years. 

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Shefter just said on NFL Live that Hunt could have a lengthy suspension, possibly 10 or 12 games. 

Thinking about this more, I think Chubb could end up being the guy getting traded here. It really sounds like Dorsey loves Hunt and wanted to get him badly. If they have that solid of a relationship, then would he really want to trade him off after taking the risk to sign him? 

I've had an array of thoughts about this situation since the signing was announced. Now I'm thinking that the Browns want this hometown guy to be the centerpiece of their franchise. If he keeps his nose clean and proves he's the quality of RB we saw in KC, then he's a ticket-seller and a merch-seller. They'd probably make more money off of Hunt than they would off of Chubb. 

So maybe the Browns signed Hunt with the hopeful intention of making him their longterm workhorse. Or maybe Dorsey and Kitchens really do want to have both RBs at their disposal for the next few years. 

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart. Lol. 

10-12 games? Wow. I hadn’t heard that - that hurts trade value for sure, as it’s after the 2019 deadline. 

Maybe you’re right about the Dorsey/Hunt relationship. They did use an early 2nd round pick on Chubb, and Hunt will have to get paid after 2019. It’s possible Dorsey wants to get Hunt back on his feet after his mistake. There’s a lot going on. I’m excited to see what the Browns do. They really have never done what I’ve expected them to do...

Thanks for the civil chat on the range of outcomes here, gents!

• Like 1