Boudewijn

Kareem Hunt 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Shefter just said on NFL Live that Hunt could have a lengthy suspension, possibly 10 or 12 games. 

Thinking about this more, I think Chubb could end up being the guy getting traded here. It really sounds like Dorsey loves Hunt and wanted to get him badly. If they have that solid of a relationship, then would he really want to trade him off after taking the risk to sign him? 

I've had an array of thoughts about this situation since the signing was announced. Now I'm thinking that the Browns want this hometown guy to be the centerpiece of their franchise. If he keeps his nose clean and proves he's the quality of RB we saw in KC, then he's a ticket-seller and a merch-seller. They'd probably make more money off of Hunt than they would off of Chubb. 

So maybe the Browns signed Hunt with the hopeful intention of making him their longterm workhorse. Or maybe Dorsey and Kitchens really do want to have both RBs at their disposal for the next few years. 

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart. Lol. 

Why in the world would Cleveland want to trade Chubb away? Chubb played very well last season and would've probably gotten to the pro bowl had he started the whole season. If anything I would think the Browns would be shopping Duke Johnson.

And as far as any sort of PR backlash against the Browns.... I really don't think there is going to be all that much. Yeah there might be some as we get into training camp and preseason but I doubt it's going to be anything the franchise loses sleep over.

I don't understand how the NFL can keep moving the goal posts with their domestic violence suspensions. It blew up in their face with Ray Rice I believe and was reduced from an indefinite suspension.

Isn't the 1st time DV offense a 6 or 8 game suspension?

6 minutes ago, metalmat said:

Why in the world would Cleveland want to trade Chubb away? Chubb played very well last season and would've probably gotten to the pro bowl had he started the whole season. If anything I would think the Browns would be shopping Duke Johnson.

And as far as any sort of PR backlash against the Browns.... I really don't think there is going to be all that much. Yeah there might be some as we get into training camp and preseason but I doubt it's going to be anything the franchise loses sleep over.

Agreed on the PR. But if it was someone like the patriots or saints - they’d get backlash.

In terms of trading Chubb - that was my initial thought as well. But if they really do like Hunt, and they can get good value for Chubb, then they can make the trade. It really comes down to Kitchens and Dorsey making the decision on what’s better for their scheme. To me, it’s Chubb. To them, it might be Hunt. There’s no clear cut answer on their plan right now - just possible outlooks. 

Edit: point being it’s just another low risk option for them. 

Edited by Joshmcd94

8 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't understand how the NFL can keep moving the goal posts with their domestic violence suspensions. It blew up in their face with Ray Rice I believe and was reduced from an indefinite suspension.

Quick wiki search says it was moved to 6 after the Ray Rice suspension. 

The only DV case that comes to mind for an NFL player after Rice is Josh Brown. He also got 6 (7 if you include the early game he lost). I’m excluding Mixon and Hill as those were pre-NFL cases. 

I still think they should follow policy. Drop 6 on Hunt. If he appeals - hold at 6. 

Edit: Duh. Zeke. 6 games. Keep this consistency here NFL. Please. 

Edited by Joshmcd94

3 minutes ago, Joshmcd94 said:

Quick wiki search says it was moved to 6 after the Ray Rice suspension. 

The only DV case that comes to mind for an NFL player after Rice is Josh Brown. He also got 6 (7 if you include the early game he lost). I’m excluding Mixon and Hill as those were pre-NFL cases. 

I still think they should follow policy. Drop 6 on Hunt. If he appeals - hold at 6. 

Edit: Duh. Zeke. 6 games. Keep this consistency here NFL. Please. 

The NFL can't go beyond 6 without the NFLPA getting involved and arbitration. NFL won't win that one as evidenced by Zeke and Ray Rice. Unless they are accusing Hunt of more than a 1st offense DV.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

The NFL can't go beyond 6 without the NFLPA getting involved and arbitration. NFL won't win that one as evidenced by Zeke and Ray Rice. Unless they are accusing Hunt of more than a 1st offense DV.

Just saw this too. Who knows where it’ll end up. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25450892/all-three-incidents-factor-suspension-former-kansas-city-chiefs-rb-kareem-hunt

dated article about 2 months ago - 

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

It's 6 games for the first DV offense but it also depends on what the NFL classifies the issue as. I mean, by the letter of the law what Hunt did was not domestic violence but I would expect the NFL to cover their a** and throw the book at him with at least a 6 game suspension.

15 minutes ago, metalmat said:

Because Chubb and Hunt are both feature backs, and I believe they'll eventually trade one of them. Why Chubb over Hunt? For the same reasons I mentioned above.

Also, they don't complement one another. I don't see Duke getting shipped off because he's the complementary back in this backfield. Hunt and Chubb are both inside runners. We're not looking at Chubb being Ingram/Michel and Hunt being Kamara/White. Hunt is the more proven pass-catcher, but Chubb is the faster of the two. So it's not like Chubb is the bigger, stronger, slower guy while Hunt is the smaller, quicker, faster guy. Chubb is definitely bigger, probably stronger, and is faster. 

Hunt has proven to be a feature runner, and Chubb oozes "feature runner". I just can't see these two co-existing for multiple seasons. And it's very possible, imho, that Cleveland chooses to trade Chubb and hang onto the hometown money-maker who is more likely to sign a team-friendly deal down the road. 

Just now, metalmat said:

It's 6 games for the first DV offense but it also depends on what the NFL classifies the issue as. I mean, by the letter of the law what Hunt did was not domestic violence but I would expect the NFL to cover their a** and throw the book at him with at least a 6 game suspension.

The NFL's M.O. is probably throw as much as they can at Hunt and see what sticks after the NFLPA gets involved and arbitration.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

The NFL's M.O. is probably throw as much as they can at Hunt and see what sticks after the NFLPA gets involved and arbitration.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL come with 12 games, the NFLPA counter with 4, and the Arbiter decide on 8. 

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

Yeah, not so much.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

Hunts gonna have enough options where he can be the man that I can’t see him joining a team where at best he’s in a timeshare.

Lol.  Yeah, he's second fiddle to Chubb now, and most likely an insurance policy or trade bait.  Enough options, huh?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Because Chubb and Hunt are both feature backs, and I believe they'll eventually trade one of them. Why Chubb over Hunt? For the same reasons I mentioned above.

Also, they don't complement one another. I don't see Duke getting shipped off because he's the complementary back in this backfield. Hunt and Chubb are both inside runners. We're not looking at Chubb being Ingram/Michel and Hunt being Kamara/White. Hunt is the more proven pass-catcher, but Chubb is the faster of the two. So it's not like Chubb is the bigger, stronger, slower guy while Hunt is the smaller, quicker, faster guy. Chubb is definitely bigger, probably stronger, and is faster. 

Hunt has proven to be a feature runner, and Chubb oozes "feature runner". I just can't see these two co-existing for multiple seasons. And it's very possible, imho, that Cleveland chooses to trade Chubb and hang onto the hometown money-maker who is more likely to sign a team-friendly deal down the road. 

I agree with most of what you said, except they'll be shipping out Hunt if they need to.  Chubb already has good rapport with the team and doesn't have all the drama surrounding him, as well as winning over the fanbase.  Some team will be desperate enough for Hunt and overpay for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdko said:

I agree with most of what you said, except they'll be shipping out Hunt if they need to.  Chubb already has good rapport with the team and doesn't have all the drama surrounding him, as well as winning over the fanbase.  Some team will be desperate enough for Hunt and overpay for him.

I agree it’s more likely they’ll trade Hunt. But only 60/40 imo. Hunt has the relationship with Dorsey, which may ultimately have more impact in the decision. Time shall tell. 

• Like 2

Who wouldn't sign Hunt to a $1M 1 year Deal? That is an insane bargain. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joshmcd94 said:

I agree it’s more likely they’ll trade Hunt. But only 60/40 imo. Hunt has the relationship with Dorsey, which may ultimately have more impact in the decision. Time shall tell. 

So you are banking on Chubb playing the whole season next season? Ok man

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Im kind of confused as to what you're asking.  Did you mean Hunt?  

I wasn't asking anything.  I just failed to realize that Nick Chubb is Superman and cant get hurt. Ever

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Why wouldn’t Chubb play the whole season?

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Why wouldn’t Chubb play the whole season?

Good luck with that

Just now, urban2014 said:

I wasn't asking anything.  I just failed to realize that Nick Chubb is Superman and cant get hurt. Ever

Come on man. Don’t do that. We’ve had a good discussion in two threads about this situation. You’re putting words in his mouth. He never suggested Chubb wouldn’t get hurt. 

Nobody knows s---.

Will Hunt stay out of trouble 

Will Chubb stay healthy

Who will the Browns trade

This signing is the perfect gamble. 

Stay tuned 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Good luck with that

So I’m guessing that you’re assuming he’ll get hurt? Or traded? Not sure why you’re even bringing this up other than to cause a problem. Literally nobody has said that he’s indestructible. We’re just talking about the situation and trying ti figure out where this is going. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

So I’m guessing that you’re assuming he’ll get hurt? Or traded? Not sure why you’re even bringing this up other than to cause a problem. Literally nobody has said that he’s indestructible. We’re just talking about the situation and trying ti figure out where this is going. 

Not going anywhere .. nobody is getting traded. 

They just signed Hunt. 

This is a wait and see ... a what happen scenario 

How many games will Hunt be suspended... ?? 

Then and only when when Hunt is reinstated can we speculate 

14 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Good luck with that

haha, do you go into every RB thread and ask the same thing?  Every back can get hurt.  Chubb happened to play in every game he participated in last year.  What's your point?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdko said:

haha, do you go into every RB thread and ask the same thing?  Every back can get hurt.  Chubb happened to play in every game he participated in last year.  What's your point?

Does it look like I go into every backs thread? I don't.  Hunt is a gamble,  the Chiefs reached there,  by cutting him.