Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

B--you forgot, Cameron Brate is totally irrelevant to any discussion of OJ Howard.  It's not like Brate plays the exact same position, makes more money, and gobbles up valuable end zone looks or anything.  Fantasy players must always be evaluated by their mad skillz, in a total vacuum.  Just ask Christine Michael! 

Lol@shark,

OJ is on his rookie contract. Is there a doubt in your mind that OJ will get a huge contract when his rookie deal is up?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol@shark,

OJ is on his rookie contract. Is there a doubt in your mind that OJ will get a huge contract when his rookie deal is up?

If OJ is smart, and if Arians is still the coach, OJ should try to force his way out of town to get into an offense that features the TE position in a receiving role.

53 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol@shark,

Yes. He might, might not. Not sure how you can say right now he's getting a huge deal. 

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Yes. He might, might not. Not sure how you can say right now he's getting a huge deal. 

I say it based on his potential and how much better than Brate he has looked when healthy.

Feel free to disagree if you like.

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I say it based on his potential and how much better than Brate he has looked when healthy.

Feel free to disagree if you like.

His contract is up too long from now, lots can happen. No clue what his next contract will look like. You are just guessing.

Posted (edited)

Winston: “Moon is the limit for OJ Howard”

This article can be cherry picked to support any of the opinions being discussed. But the money shot is this-

Winston believes Howard is a pro-bowl caliber TE, and Brate is a complimentary veteran who Winston hopes can help Howard reach his elite potential. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025866/article/jameis-winston-moon-is-limit-for-bucs-te-oj-howard

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The hype on this player has almost reached Davante Parker levels.  Parker, he of the frequent offseason puff piece, has never come close to delivering on his supposedly sky-high potential. Part of Parker's problem is that, much like Howard, he seems to be constantly nicked up. Will OJ Howard buck the trend?

Edited by SharkSwimmer

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The hype on this player has almost reached Davante Parker levels.  Parker, he of the frequent offseason puff piece, has never come close to delivering on his supposedly sky-high potential. Part of Parker's problem is that, much like Howard, he seems to be constantly nicked up. Will OJ Howard buck the trend?

Two years ago I drafted Parker on every single team, was sure it was the year. Was the year Axe loved him, should have know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You could say the same about Dalvin Cook. Sometimes in fantasy you simply have to take a leap of faith.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Let's not get too carried away yet. It is true he has been banged up the past 2 years but Howard has looked really good in the 24 games he has played in his career.  Generally TEs don't do much of anything in the first year or two and this guy has.  He actually has 11 TDs in his first 2 years and Parker (as you mentioned) only has 9 in 4 years.  He's arguably done more than Parker and Parker has played 2 more years.

Also, wasn't his last injury when someone rolled-up on his leg from behind and it got twisted up? Seems more of a freak accident that is unlikely to happen again, unless he ends up with some chronic problems as a result. 

Obviously his previous injuries do play a part in what his ADP will look like come August/Sept.  But there is no doubt that he has talent.  The last question will be opportunity and targets which I am still unsure on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wait now...is it the system or injuries that will hold him back? 

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Wait now...is it the system or injuries that will hold him back? 

Possibly both.  So far it has been the injuries, but the system from 2018 is gone now.  We are entering a brave new world where TE stats go to die.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

We are entering a brave new world where TE stats go to die.

Who?  Jermaine Gresham?

9 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Winston: “Moon is the limit for OJ Howard”

Can’t be good that his QB is already admitting publicly that OJ’s a limited talent.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Can’t be good that his QB is already admitting publicly that OJ’s a limited talent.

He later said Brate's limit is 25 snaps per game

8 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Who?  Jermaine Gresham?

All of them.

11 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Who?  Jermaine Gresham?

If Howard isn't #1 TE in 2019 he'll call that a win 😂

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

If Howard isn't #1 TE in 2019 he'll call that a win 😂

I hope that happens and I hope I get Howard for cheap.  But it is pretty unlikely that 1) he'll be cheap; or that 2) he'll be able to put up top receiving stats while mired in the TE-unfriendly offensive system.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I hope that happens and I hope I get Howard for cheap.  But it is pretty unlikely that 1) he'll be cheap; or that 2) he'll be able to put up top receiving stats while mired in the TE-unfriendly offensive system.

I admire your willingness to see this argument through to the end.

I'm willing to take a chance on OJ in the late 6th or 7th round. After Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz which TE would you want?

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm willing to take a chance on OJ in the late 6th or 7th round. After Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz which TE would you want?

Too early to say but Evan Engram, Hunter Henry, and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins are names I am monitoring.

52 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Too early to say but Evan Engram, Hunter Henry, and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins are names I am monitoring.

When will it not be too early to expect your prediction? I wouldn't draft any of these guys before OJ Howard.

You are worries about Howard's injury history and not Hunter Henrys?

Engram finished 2018 with 577 and 3 TDs.

OJ Howard had 565 and 5 TDs in only 10 games despite Cameron Brate existence.

ASJ has never had over 360 receiving yards in a season.

I'm just wondering, are these guys just in much more TE friendly systems with coaches who have a historically positive track record with successfull TEs?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You are worries about Howard's injury history and not Hunter Henrys?

Engram finished 2018 with 577 and 3 TDs.

OJ Howard had 565 and 5 TDs in only 10 games despite Cameron Brate existence.

Hunter Henry's 2 big injuries were pretty flukey. Torn acls happen out of nowhere for no reason and a lacerated kidney is crazy I wouldnt call him injury prone but hes not exactly an iron man. Hasnt all of OJs injuries been to his ankles. That kinda worries me more. Reminds me of fournette.

And I think evan engram only played in 10 or 11 games and his rookie year was pretty good, better than any season Howard's had. Tate and barkely will still some passes but he should be the first read in the passing game now.

ASJ is a bum. A bum with talent but a bum nonetheless 

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Hunter Henry's 2 big injuries were pretty flukey. Torn acls happen out of nowhere for no reason and a lacerated kidney is crazy I wouldnt call him injury prone but hes not exactly an iron man. Hasnt all of OJs injuries been to his ankles. That kinda worries me more. Reminds me of fournette.

And I think evan engram only played in 10 or 11 games and his rookie year was pretty good, better than any season Howard's had. Tate and barkely will still some passes but he should be the first read in the passing game now.

ASJ is a bum. A bum with talent but a bum nonetheless 

Engram played 11 games. 1 more than OJ and had 12 more yards and 2 less TDs. I'd say OJ had the better sophomore season.

Maybe an argument can be made for engram after Kelce, kittle and Ertz but I'd still take OJ.

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If you want him that late, you should applaud Shark’s tireless efforts (and my own) to drive down his current ADP.

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm just wondering, are these guys just in much more TE friendly systems with coaches who have a historically positive track record with successfull TEs?

I’ll jump in with the answer: yes, they all are.

• Thanks 1