Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

 

But, just a few pages ago you boasted about having successfully predicted Travis Kelce as your breakout TE in 2014- despite believing he was a great player in a bad position, being held back by an overly cautious Alex Smith?

 

It's all about expectations.  In 2014, Kelce was returning from a serious injury and had never played in the NFL.  So, for a late round flyer, Kelce was highly valuable.  By 2017, Kelce was a household name.  And it took a very high pick to acquire him, yet he was prevented from reaching his full potential by his situation.  I want to find TEs who are undervalued, the way Kelce was in 2014, not those who are overvalued, such as Kelce in 2017 or OJ Howard in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It's all about expectations.  In 2014, Kelce was returning from a serious injury and had never played in the NFL.  So, for a late round flyer, Kelce was highly valuable.  By 2017, Kelce was a household name.  And it took a very high pick to acquire him, yet he was prevented from reaching his full potential by his situation.  I want to find TEs who are undervalued, the way Kelce was in 2014, not those who are overvalued, such as Kelce in 2017 or OJ Howard in 2019.

So in 2014, despite coming off an injury and being in what you considered a “bad situation”, you still targeted Travis Kelce as your breakout TE.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So in 2014, despite coming off an injury and being in what you considered a “bad situation”, you still targeted Travis Kelce as your breakout TE.

Yes, because I could get Kelce in the last rounds of the draft.  OJ Howard in 2019 will not be cheap.  As stated multiple times, if I see Howard still on the board in the 11th or 12th round, I will pounce.  But we all know he will be long gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, because I could get Kelce in the last rounds of the draft.  OJ Howard in 2019 will not be cheap.  As stated multiple times, if I see Howard still on the board in the 11th or 12th round, I will pounce.  But we all know he will be long gone.

But you pegged him as a breakout, that's the issue... 😂😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

But you pegged him as a breakout, that's the issue... 😂😂

Correct.  In 2014, Kelce was a last rounder who put up stats like an early rounder.  OJ Howard is going to be a 5th rounder who puts up stats like an 8th rounder.  Therefore, not a breakout player.  The opposite, in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, because I could get Kelce in the last rounds of the draft.  OJ Howard in 2019 will not be cheap.  As stated multiple times, if I see Howard still on the board in the 11th or 12th round, I will pounce.  But we all know he will be long gone.

 

 

If you want a last round TE you are looking at guys like Mike Gesiki or Dan Arnold or Blake Jarwin or someone like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

 

If you want a last round TE you are looking at guys like Mike Gesiki or Dan Arnold or Blake Jarwin or someone like that

 

or... better off with a hawkeye

iowa-city-iowa-usa-28th-oct-2017-iowas-t

1033974670.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2407

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Rd 5. Loving some OJ

 

Im out. Good luck sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-the-case-for-mark-andrews-as-a-fantasy-sleeper-tight-end

 

I doubt this article has been posted on here since it is mainly about mark andrews but it has a little bit of OJ howard in there that I think most OJ truthers will like. 

Basically says that TEs who get 2 yards per route ran are elite level fantasy tightends.  Every year for over 10 years theres been about 3 TEs a year who do this. Almost all the guys that do it are the gronks and kelces and gates of the league with a few exceptions of random outliers. Last year there were 5. The big 3, OJ Howard, And mark andrews (All tight ends in consideration had atleast 40 targets)

 

Take it for what its worth. Just thought it might be useful... or garbage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-the-case-for-mark-andrews-as-a-fantasy-sleeper-tight-end

 

I doubt this article has been posted on here since it is mainly about mark andrews but it has a little bit of OJ howard in there that I think most OJ truthers will like. 

Basically says that TEs who get 2 yards per route ran are elite level fantasy tightends.  Every year for over 10 years theres been about 3 TEs a year who do this. Almost all the guys that do it are the gronks and kelces and gates of the league with a few exceptions of random outliers. Last year there were 5. The big 3, OJ Howard, And mark andrews (All tight ends in consideration had atleast 40 targets)

 

Take it for what its worth. Just thought it might be useful... or garbage. 

 

 

Interesting read. Just seems super arbitrary to me. Like when people on the forum pick a random number to fit a narrative.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

And mark andrews (All tight ends in consideration had atleast 40 targets)

 

Take it for what its worth. Just thought it might be useful... or garbage. 

The article is indeed (as dmb said) a bit arbitrary. But Andrews seems very interesting, especially if you consider he had a 35/550 season as a rookie, while only starting 3 games, AND 2nd year TEs show on average a 50% improvement. For a guy whose ADP is currently in the 200s. Now THAT is interesting.

I should probably keep quiet, but I think this kid deserves his own thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

The article is indeed (as dmb said) a bit arbitrary. But Andrews seems very interesting, especially if you consider he had a 35/550 season as a rookie, while only starting 3 games, AND 2nd year TEs show on average a 50% improvement. For a guy whose ADP is currently in the 200s. Now THAT is interesting.

I should probably keep quiet, but I think this kid deserves his own thread.

 

Lol that's how I found this article.  I was looking for anything (arbitrary numbers or not) to validate my opinion on Andrews and found this. I think his rookie season is even more impressive considering they switched qbs mid season and ran the ball a million times a game afterwards. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Byron Leftwich on OJ-

“Man, I’ve never seen guys like that. It’s hard to be around guys that can do what O.J. can do. He’s very – there’s not a lot of those human beings walking around on earth. Trust me, because everybody is looking for him. Everybody is looking for the next O.J. Howard.”  Leftwich went on to say, “He’s a young guy in this process, but what he can do being that big, being able to run it’s a matchup nightmare for defenses.”

https://bucslifenewsmedia.com/2019/05/07/robo-tight-end-o-j-howards-unlimited-potential/

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Byron Leftwich on OJ-

“Man, I’ve never seen guys like that. It’s hard to be around guys that can do what O.J. can do. He’s very – there’s not a lot of those human beings walking around on earth. Trust me, because everybody is looking for him. Everybody is looking for the next O.J. Howard.”  Leftwich went on to say, “He’s a young guy in this process, but what he can do being that big, being able to run it’s a matchup nightmare for defenses.”

https://bucslifenewsmedia.com/2019/05/07/robo-tight-end-o-j-howards-unlimited-potential/

 

Good find. Thank you.

Seems like Leftwich is sold on OJ. I like hearing that cause we know Jameis loves him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But... but... but Arians doesn't use a TE.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Good find. Thank you.

Seems like Leftwich is sold on OJ. I like hearing that cause we know Jameis loves him.

 

The OC calls the plays but in the end the QB is the one who makes the on field decision so it will be interesting to see what Jamesis will execute on over the season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

The OC calls the plays but in the end the QB is the one who makes the on field decision so it will be interesting to see what Jamesis will execute on over the season. 

Don't they both like O.J. Howard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring time puff pieces do not Fantasy Championships make.

Ancient Sharkswimmer Proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Spring time puff pieces do not Fantasy Championships make.

Ancient Sharkswimmer Proverb

No, but quotes like that from the OC do make the whole “Arians won’t utilize TEs” argument seem kinda silly.

Leftwich went out of his way to make it very clear that he is fully aware of the special talent they have with OJ Howard, and that he is a rare offensive weapon/mismatch. If he wasn’t planning on Howard being heavily involved why speak in such glowing terms? Ignoring Howard on offense after making comments like that would make Leftwich look incompetent as an OC. 

Maybe, just maybe, Arians and Leftwich fully intend to do the sensible, logical thing and turn OJ Howard into the elite TE he’s capable of being. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Don't they both like O.J. Howard?

 

you do know jamesis has a history of erratic decision making? One week he plays like a n All Pro and the next like a D3 QB. . .😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

No, but quotes like that from the OC do make the whole “Arians won’t utilize TEs” argument seem kinda silly.

Leftwich went out of his way to make it very clear that he is fully aware of the special talent they have with OJ Howard, and that he is a rare offensive weapon/mismatch. If he wasn’t planning on Howard being heavily involved why speak in such glowing terms? Ignoring Howard on offense after making comments like that would make Leftwich look incompetent as an OC. 

Maybe, just maybe, Arians and Leftwich fully intend to do the sensible, logical thing and turn OJ Howard into the elite TE he’s capable of being. 

 

As if most coaches dont coach speak and fail to follow through every year? 🤣

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

you do know jamesis has a history of erratic decision making? One week he plays like a n All Pro and the next like a D3 QB. . .😂

Lol he really is very hot and cold. Luckily for OJ the Bucs D probably got a loss worse this year(and it was already bad). They just lost JPP too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

As if most coaches dont coach speak and fail to follow through every year? 🤣

Coach speak doesn’t usually sound like “there’s not a lot of those human beings walking around on earth. Everybody is looking for the next O.J. Howard.” 

That’s a clear confirmation that they view OJH is a special, rare talent, not just another TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Coach speak doesn’t usually sound like “there’s not a lot of those human beings walking around on earth. Everybody is looking for the next O.J. Howard.” 

That’s a clear confirmation that they view OJH is a special, rare talent, not just another TE.

 

Really? Do you need a refresher in coach speak? here is an example that trumps your view. . . 😂

 Gruden told reporters Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "He'll be the focal point of our offense ... the headliner in our offense."

 

Amari cooper was never the focal point of the offense and he became the headliner  when he was traded 😜

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...