Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I may come around on OJ Howard, but I have been burned by offseason hype of a player so many times before.  The comparison that really stands out is Davante Parker.  Dude really should have been one of the best WR in the league but it just has never happened for him.  It's always one thing or another.  So far, Howard has been that way, too.

My man, Parker was healthy most of last season and Adam Gase wouldn't use him. That's kind of a bad example.  I hold nothing against any Dolphins player who played under Adam Gase, he was a buffoon.

I feel like this year is the last year to get OJ Howard before he becomes one of the elite TEs that you have to draft mid 4th round.

This is just my opinion but OJ is bigger than Mike Evans and almost as fast. Arians might not utilize the traditional TE spot a lot but don't you think it would behoove arians and leftwitch to move OJ around the formation to WR spots, even in the backfield like has been reported even this early in the off-season? OJ is classified as a TE but would it surprise you to see Arians turn him into a psuedo-WR while using Brate and some other TE in the traditional blocking roles?

That's where the optimism comes in. A TE as big as an elite WR. If OJ goes for 1,000 yards and 8 TDs or more you won't get him after round 4 going forward after this year.

Gotta be willing to take a leap of faith on breakout players. @Lamont Sanford and others have been doing a good job in this thread of showing why so many think OJ is on the precipice of breaking out in a big way this year. High end WR numbers from a TE is what we all drool about cause it's easier to find a WR2 replacement later on than it is to get an elite pass catching TE 

• Like 1

Let's say in your draft you go RB, RB, WR, WR. Then comes round 5, would you rather take a WR3 or take a chance on a guy like Howard who can potentially give you WR2 numbers from the TE spot especially considering that Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz will be off the board by then.

28 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Let's say in your draft you go RB, RB, WR, WR. Then comes round 5, would you rather take a WR3 or take a chance on a guy like Howard who can potentially give you WR2 numbers from the TE spot especially considering that Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz will be off the board by then.

Well I play auction but I understand the point.  Also, it is important to have fun while playing fantasy football.  And having OJ Howard on my fantasy team might be fun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well I play auction but I understand the point.  Also, it is important to have fun while playing fantasy football.  And having OJ Howard on my fantasy team might be fun.

If we get this thread to 100 pages and OJ gets 1,000yds and 10 TDs I'll change my name to OJHowardsCleats.

😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If we get this thread to 100 pages and OJ gets 1,000yds and 10 TDs I'll change my name to OJHowardsCleats.

😂

Suddenly I'm rooting for OJ.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

😂

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

img-2271443-f.jpg

ojhcl.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

img-2271443-f.jpg

ojhcl.jpg

Number of bids...0

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Number of bids...0

another reason why we have to get this thread to 100 pages. lets' go people, only 63 more pages and we're there!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This is just my opinion but OJ is bigger than Mike Evans and almost as fast. Arians might not utilize the traditional TE spot a lot but don't you think it would behoove arians and leftwitch to move OJ around the formation to WR spots, even in the backfield like has been reported even this early in the off-season? OJ is classified as a TE but would it surprise you to see Arians turn him into a psuedo-WR while using Brate and some other TE in the traditional blocking roles?

That's where the optimism comes in. A TE as big as an elite WR. If OJ goes for 1,000 yards and 8 TDs or more you won't get him after round 4 going forward after this year.

Gotta be willing to take a leap of faith on breakout players. @Lamont Sanford and others have been doing a good job in this thread of showing why so many think OJ is on the precipice of breaking out in a big way this year. High end WR numbers from a TE is what we all drool about cause it's easier to find a WR2 replacement later on than it is to get an elite pass catching TE 

I believe a TE loses a lot of their advantages when moved into WR positions on the field. 

It's one thing to beat a LB or even a safety, it's another thing entirely to beat an NFL CB IMO. 

When I think of this I often think of  Gronk. We all know he's a first ballot HOF player and likely the 2nd best TE of all time behind Tony G (I'm sure Patriots people will argue, but whatever). Gronk absolutely dominated LBs and safeties, but when the other team had to have a stop and put a CB on gronk things went a lot different for him for the worse. 

As we all know Gronk still had Brady and a huge height / reach advantage so Brady was still able to fit in some clutch passes in perfect places. I think I like famous Jameis more than about 98% of this forum, but even I don't believe he's capable of consistently putting those passes in places that can't be defended. 

I still like OJH this year, maybe not as much as some, but I do. Y'all got me there. I want to see him Consistently being a TE guarded by LBs and safeties tho. 

I also agree with the dominant TE being very effective thing too FYI 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I believe a TE loses a lot of their advantages when moved into WR positions on the field. 

It's one thing to beat a LB or even a safety, it's another thing entirely to beat an NFL CB IMO. 

When I think of this I often think of  Gronk. We all know he's a first ballot HOF player and likely the 2nd best TE of all time behind Tony G (I'm sure Patriots people will argue, but whatever). Gronk absolutely dominated LBs and safeties, but when the other team had to have a stop and put a CB on gronk things went a lot different for him for the worse. 

As we all know Gronk still had Brady and a huge height / reach advantage so Brady was still able to fit in some clutch passes in perfect places. I think I like famous Jameis more than about 98% of this forum, but even I don't believe he's capable of consistently putting those passes in places that can't be defended. 

I still like OJH this year, maybe not as much as some, but I do. Y'all got me there. I want to see him Consistently being a TE guarded by LBs and safeties tho. 

OJ is a better athlete than gronk. I don't think many corners, if any, stopped gronk but he was more of a classic tight end and OJ is more of the new age freak athlete who could do anything. I'm sure he will be pretty successful lined up at wr or in tight or slot as long as Jamies can get it to him like you said. 

Also gronk is the best tightend ever. And I hate the Patriots with every fiber of my being. But I'm not a hater. Gronk > Gonzales 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Good points, I think that is true to a degree but I also think @Stonej14 makes a good point. OJ is a better athlete than Gronk. He is a TE but he is taller and almost as fast as Mike Evans, that is a mismatch even on CBs, that's where a lot of us think he will really elevate his game, his ability to exploit mismatches against LBers and CBs.

Of course Gronk is the greatest TE of all time but I don't know how many times he has taken a crossing pattern 75 yards for a TD like OJ has and I think OJ has done that twice in a season. That's the kind of upside many of us are drooling at, that WR/TE hybrid that can get over 1,000yds and double digits TDs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Of course Gronk is the greatest TE of all time but I don't know how many times he has taken a crossing pattern 75 yards for a TD like OJ has and I think OJ has done that twice in a season. That's the kind of upside many of us are drooling at, that WR/TE hybrid that can get over 1,000yds and double digits TDs.

This post reeks of recency bias, Gronk was a shell of what he once was in recent years but even looking back in 2015 he was doing long catch and run TDs like a beast.

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Of course Gronk is the greatest TE of all time but

please permit the slight correction and deviation from the thread's intent, but any and all deviations help to reach our thread's goal of 100 pages and your new shoes...

Gronkowski --- an absolute beast, and one of the greatest, but not the greatest TE:

115 games

521 receptions

7861 yards

79 TDs (+1 rushing TD)

Tony Gonzalez --- incomparable living legend, the TE OJ Howard aspires to be

270 games played, 14 Pro Bowls (NFL record, all players)

1325 receptions (#2 all-time receptions, WR + TE)

15,127 yards (#6 all-time receiving, WR + TE)

111 TDs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

Tony Gonzalez --- incomparable living legend, the TE OJ Howard aspires to be

270 games played, 14 Pro Bowls (NFL record, all players)

1325 receptions (#2 all-time receptions, WR + TE)

15,127 yards (#6 all-time receiving, WR + TE)

111 TDs 

Wow 270 games and zero blocks given. That's pretty impressive.

• Haha 1

O.J. Howard’s Star Is Rising On The Field, But Has Already Risen In The Community

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/6/2/18648471/tampa-bay-buccaneers-o-j-howards-star-is-rising-on-the-field-but-has-already-risen-in-the-community

Arguably the most significant story in this entire thread. OJ appears to be one of the good guys, which really increases the fun factor of owning him in fantasy imo. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

O.J. Howard’s Star Is Rising On The Field, But Has Already Risen In The Community

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/6/2/18648471/tampa-bay-buccaneers-o-j-howards-star-is-rising-on-the-field-but-has-already-risen-in-the-community

Arguably the most significant story in this entire thread. OJ appears to be one of the good guys, which really increases the fun factor of owning him in fantasy imo. 

"I’ve already been here for a month now and learned the offense, so I see how the tight ends are getting used and it’s a lot. We have a lot of opportunities to make plays. I mean, out here at practice, we are making plays every day. When the season comes around, I expect nothing less. I’m just excited about it and looking forward to the regular season.”

With a player like Howard on the roster, how can you not be excited?

1254172884282.jpg_1254173845.cf (1).jpg

• Like 2

“A lot of potential,” Arians said of the Alabama product. “[Howard]’s an interesting guy, because he can hold the point of attack and he’s obviously a mismatch versus safeties and linebackers. So, you’re trying to use him in a lot of different ways. Matching up those three tight ends we have should be a lot of fun this fall.”

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/talking-tight-ends-in-bruce-arians-offense

Howard's potential is there for sure. But can he stay healthy?  0 for 2 doesn't wow me. 

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

“A lot of potential,” Arians said of the Alabama product. “[Howard]’s an interesting guy, because he can hold the point of attack and he’s obviously a mismatch versus safeties and linebackers. So, you’re trying to use him in a lot of different ways. Matching up those three tight ends we have should be a lot of fun this fall.”

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/talking-tight-ends-in-bruce-arians-offense

Like I said another page or 2 ago... Safeties and linebackers. Not CBs. 

Good thing for OJH though is that Mike Evans is one of the best, godwin star is rising, Arian's is a badass. 

The more I think about this, the more I love it. You had my attention cleats... Now you've got my favor. 

You can't rotate a teams best CB on this dude or the other 2 gonna instantly be in the end zone. 

The biggest worry here is Jameis Winston, and a lot of people hate on him, but I think that guy is a lot better than people think. He's got what it takes to be a top 10-12 QB IMO if used correctly and you know Arian's won't be scared for his job swapping qbs every 2 games like koetter or whatever his name was.

Damn, I think I just convinced myself to draft Jameis Winston too... 

11 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Damn, I think I just convinced myself to draft Jameis Winston too... 

I had Winston (and Fitzmagic) in turns in a 14 teamer last season. Loads of ups and downs; 4 TD one week, 4 INT a couple weeks later. If Arians can tame him a bit, he could benefit a lot (he's still only 25).

But for more or less the same price you can get Roethlisberger or Jimmy G. That's something to think about.

4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I had Winston (and Fitzmagic) in turns in a 14 teamer last season. Loads of ups and downs; 4 TD one week, 4 INT a couple weeks later. If Arians can tame him a bit, he could benefit a lot (he's still only 25).

But for more or less the same price you can get Roethlisberger or Jimmy G. That's something to think about.

Ben... Interesting. I probably choose him if they go next to each other. 

I'm a known Jimmy G hater though. I shut down the 49ers thread last year in 2018... If you got time you should take a look lol. 

7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Ben... Interesting. I probably choose him if they go next to each other. 

I'm a known Jimmy G hater though. I shut down the 49ers thread last year in 2018... If you got time you should take a look lol. 

Maybe not. I don't play in a PPH league (point per hate).

On 6/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Boudewijn said:

X2.