Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

"You can’t say enough," said Head Coach Bruce Arians of how well his O-Line played on Sunday. "You don’t get deep shots down the field against that team very often and not get knocked flat on your butt when you’re letting it go. The offensive line and the tight ends did a heck of a job in the running game – and you add the receivers to the running game – but the front five and the tight ends did a hell of a job."

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/offensive-line-dominates-ali-marpet-donovan-smith-vs-rams-saints-week-5

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, dashoe said:

Arians+leftwich dont run an air raid scheme. .  it's over it's gone koetter and monken are not there. You do realize this correct? 

New coaches usually mean a new offense..

I assume Arians  will go vertical quite often with evans+perriman+godwin, I even expect OJ howard to get redzone looks and have some good weeks where they exploit mismatches what I don't expect is for him to be a predictable weekly stud if the running game turns around and the defense slightly improves. 

I get you guys love his talent however I currently dont see the situation being built around the talent of the TE. I see  a lot of running the ball, spreading out the defense and taking big vertical shots for chunk plays like they did in AZ.  but now with a downgrade in QB in terms of decision making.  What I also don't get is this fascination of what he could have produced last season in a different offensive scheme. Doesnt add up for me. I'll wait until TC as the data filters in.

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

"You can’t say enough," said Head Coach Bruce Arians of how well his O-Line played on Sunday. "You don’t get deep shots down the field against that team very often and not get knocked flat on your butt when you’re letting it go. The offensive line and the tight ends did a heck of a job in the running game – and you add the receivers to the running game – but the front five and the tight ends did a hell of a job."

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/offensive-line-dominates-ali-marpet-donovan-smith-vs-rams-saints-week-5

☝️☝️☝️

Can we get a highlight video of this guys best pull blocks? Debating on whether or not I should pick him up off waivers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, SonataArctica said:

Just dropped him for Eifert. Has all the talent, just not getting the opportunity.

Some guys don't get the opportunity for a reason.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Some guys don't get the opportunity for a reason.

The reason, in OJ Howard's case, is Bruce Ardavarius Arians III, esq.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The reason, in OJ Howard's case, is Bruce Ardavarius Arians III, esq.

What about the previous years?

Lets be real, dude has all the hype and measurables, except producing at an nfl level.

11 minutes ago, saintrules said:

At this point I'd gladly trade a glass of real orange juice for OJ Howard...

In that case, it would be Tyler Eifert. He is glass and wears orange.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, itslarry said:

Lets be real, dude has all the hype and measurables, except producing at an nfl level.

600ish and 5TDs is decent production.  OJ Howard has not made anyone forget Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates, though.

Has any tight end been fantasy worthy under Arians? I only remember his tenure with the Cards, and I can’t remember them throwing to their TEs much during that time. It’s apparent that OJ is talented, but hard to produce when the ball doesn’t come your way. Only averaging 3 targets a game.

28 minutes ago, Psideresider said:

Has any tight end been fantasy worthy under Arians? I only remember his tenure with the Cards, and I can’t remember them throwing to their TEs much during that time. It’s apparent that OJ is talented, but hard to produce when the ball doesn’t come your way. Only averaging 3 targets a game.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, dashoe said:

2009 Steelers= 534 targets

⁉️Heath Miller = 98 = 18% target share⁉️

2 other te's also listed as fb's

Pitt TE group = 20%

Indy 2012 = 616 targets

Allen =66 = 11%

Fleener=48 = 8%

Saunder=4

Indy TE group = 19% target share

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, itslarry said:

432-6 his rookie year.

565-5 his sophomore year, in essentially 9 games. Even if you count the crazy blowout against CHI where he received 0 targets (so 10 games) he paced 904-8 on 76.8 targets and 54.4 receptions.

So he quite literally had premium NFL level production last year.

This is all publicly available information.

• Like 2

Why don't the Jags trade Ramsey for OJ and a couple of picks? TB has Brate and no use for a receiving TE but could truly use an upgrade on its cornerbacks. Jags have crap at TE and their young QB could benefit from a freak like OJ.

3 minutes ago, goldpants77 said:

Why don't the Jags trade Ramsey for OJ and a couple of picks? TB has Brate and no use for a receiving TE but could truly use an upgrade on its cornerbacks. Jags have crap at TE and their young QB could benefit from a freak like OJ.

Would be great for OJ owners, but trading a top 3 CB in the league for a TE just doesn't happen.  They want first round picks for Ramsey if they do trade him as it is.

22 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Would be great for OJ owners, but trading a top 3 CB in the league for a TE just doesn't happen.  They want first round picks for Ramsey if they do trade him as it is.

He said OJ and picks for Ramsey not CB for TE and I agree with him. I know these are hypotheticals but Ertz and a 1st for Ramsey would have been worth it and so would OJ and a 1st for Ramsey. 

I never understood teams not willing to trade disgruntled players. As a GM if a players asks for a trade and I get what I consider to be fair value why not trade them?

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:05 PM, CallMeBDB said:

432-6 his rookie year.

565-5 his sophomore year, in essentially 9 games. Even if you count the crazy blowout against CHI where he received 0 targets (so 10 games) he paced 904-8 on 76.8 targets and 54.4 receptions.

So he quite literally had premium NFL level production last year.

This is all publicly available information.

On pace for

But didnt do it. Thats kind of my point. He hasnt done it yet.

Maybe he he will, but he hasnt. Unless your league extrapolated for him he didnt go 904/8, so who cares?

On 10/3/2019 at 7:58 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He said OJ and picks for Ramsey not CB for TE and I agree with him. I know these are hypotheticals but Ertz and a 1st for Ramsey would have been worth it and so would OJ and a 1st for Ramsey. 

I never understood teams not willing to trade disgruntled players. As a GM if a players asks for a trade and I get what I consider to be fair value why not trade them?

Khan wouldn’t take two firsts for him.  OJ and a first would be insulting.

In real life OJ has little trade value, perhaps even less than in fantasy ... there is no reason to roster this guy , basically a bum. Every year we have these elite physical talents do crap and he is just the next one

6 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

In real life OJ has little trade value, perhaps even less than in fantasy ... there is no reason to roster this guy , basically a bum. Every year we have these elite physical talents do crap and he is just the next one

Oh let me jump to the waiver wire in my 12 team 20 spot league and pick up a stud to replace him.

• Haha 2