Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

He's like the Derrick Henry of TEs when Derrick Henry was under performing. 

Arians is torpedoing this guys career. He's an elite talent that shouldn't be getting benched. The fact that he got benched because of one bad play and Jameis hasn't tells you all you need to know about how Arians has been as a coach this year. Jameis has 18 picks in 10 games LOL. And this guy gets benched for contributing to one of those. Oh yea, Jameis' piss poor play is definitely Howard's fault.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

I don't know if I have had a more satisfying time dropping a player in my life.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

Arians is torpedoing this guys career. He's an elite talent that shouldn't be getting benched. The fact that he got benched because of one bad play and Jameis hasn't tells you all you need to know about how Arians has been as a coach this year. Jameis has 18 picks in 10 games LOL. And this guy gets benched for contributing to one of those. Oh yea, Jameis' piss poor play is definitely Howard's fault.

Keep tooting this horn that he's such an elite talent. He's shown everything but that, yet you guys still think he's Tony Gonzalez 2.0. 

Is this guy the new Christine Michael? People think he's the second coming of Jesus in football, his SPARQ! His SPARQ! The elite talent, guys! But he just can't put it together on the football field. 

• Like 1

We get that the guy hasn’t been good this year. But to bench a guy because of a mistake in the early part of the game is absurd. Evans dropped a big pass. Last week Rojo fumbled. Winston throws a pick every other pass. Nobody else was benched. I could see missing a series or 2, but the entire game. What is with the animosity Arians has for this guy. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Keep tooting this horn that he's such an elite talent. He's shown everything but that, yet you guys still think he's Tony Gonzalez 2.0. 

Is this guy the new Christine Michael? People think he's the second coming of Jesus in football, his SPARQ! His SPARQ! The elite talent, guys! But he just can't put it together on the football field. 

so why didn't they just trade him if his perceived value is more than his actual value?

1 hour ago, Islanderman said:

We get that the guy hasn’t been good this year. But to bench a guy because of a mistake in the early part of the game is absurd. Evans dropped a big pass. Last week Rojo fumbled. Winston throws a pick every other pass. Nobody else was benched. I could see missing a series or 2, but the entire game. What is with the animosity Arians has for this guy. 

Yeah this blows my mind. All you’re accomplishing is hurting this kids confidence and your offense. 

1 hour ago, FritzLn said:

so why didn't they just trade him if his perceived value is more than his actual value?

Tampa bay fumbled big time not trading him away. Really makes no sense why they just had to keep him to not use him. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone blaming Arians and saying they screwed up big time not trading him. Maybe he just isn't a very good or smart or both player? Not everyone succeeds in the NFL. He has had some boneheaded plays over the last few seasons.

As for trading they might not have had any decent offers for him either.

Are they screwing up Ronald Jones as well? Or maybe Ronald Jones is also not a very good player and makes just as many, if not more, bad plays for every good play.

Edited by devaster

Man, he really boned himself on that play.  Arians being pretty hard on him after that INT - he played sparingly after that.

Brate had 14 targets yesterday! Let that sink in. 

When you think OJ might have turned a corner at his 99% snap rate last week, this happens.  Ain't gonna happen for him this season unfortunately...

What a disaster season.

Obviously it's not soley an Arians problem.

They pulled OJ after 16 snaps, including causing INT, and Brate went on to grab 10 catches.

"TE1 overall" predictions, my foot.

He will probably have an Eric Ebron resurgence on his next team, I agree.

Saints schemed Godwin and Evans out of the game forced Winston to use Brate and maybe just maybe Brate is better than OJ

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Everyone blaming Arians and saying they screwed up big time not trading him. Maybe he just isn't a very good or smart or both player? Not everyone succeeds in the NFL. He has had some boneheaded plays over the last few seasons.

Are they screwing up Ronald Jones as well? Or maybe Ronald Jones is also not a very good player and makes just as many, if not more, bad plays for every good play.

If he was not good or smart why would teams want to trade for him?

He is good. Evidenced by his healthy games in year 1 and 2.

8 hours ago, devaster said:

The difference is that OJ has performed at a high level before and Rojo has not. Can't wait to revisit this thread when OJ's contract is up and he's able to move to a team that will use him. This guy's career is far from over. Bill Belichick (arguably the best talent evaluator in the league) attempting to trade for him kind of tells you all you need to know.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

You are giving too much credit to OJ. Elite talent? More like just another JAG. 

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If he was not good or smart why would teams want to trade for him?

He is good. Evidenced by his healthy games in year 1 and 2.

In his first two seasons he caught 60 passes in 23 games. Those numbers to me don’t scream elite.

One thing, I know why us fantasy owners have a boner for OJ because those 11 TDs 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You are giving too much credit to OJ. Elite talent? More like just another JAG. 

In his first two seasons he caught 60 passes in 23 games. Those numbers to me don’t scream elite.

One thing, I know why us fantasy owners have a boner for OJ because those 11 TDs 

Go watch his tape from the last 2 years and what you see is the opposite of JAG.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

I mean Howard was a top 12 TE last season despite only playing 10 games and splitting time with Brate. Dirk Koetter leaves and goes to Atlanta where Austin Hooper is having a monster season. Meanwhile in Tampa both TEs are barely used with Arians there.

Christine Michael was never good. Howard drew interest at the trade deadline. He'll be great when he gets out of Tampa.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

I mean Howard was a top 12 TE last season despite only playing 10 games and splitting time with Brate. Dirk Koetter leaves and goes to Atlanta where Austin Hooper is having a monster season. Meanwhile in Tampa both TEs are barely used with Arians there.

Christine Michael was never good. Howard drew interest at the trade deadline. He'll be great when he gets out of Tampa.

So maybe it was the scheme? Hooper isn't some elite TE talent.

19 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Go watch his tape from the last 2 years and what you see is the opposite of JAG.

He has talent. But he has too much "go" for JW. I watch all the TB games locally and OJ is working too much downfield or crossing a little deep and JW's progression reads just don't line up with that. JW is more comfortable with finding the slower but more predictable Brate than looking around for a streaking OJ. This goes back to JW's FSU days. He needs his TE to be open in a progression read within seconds. OJ is usually a little deeper and Brate is usually a little closer. Because TB does not feature their TEs they are simply progression reads and Brate is going to win that almost every week. Not discounting Brate's talent. He does get open and have good hands, he's just not downfield as much as OJ. Some of that goes to coaching, as it seems they want to use OJ as another WR option and Brate as the traditional security blanket. As noted above, I agree OJ would prosper on a different team.

It wasn't enough for him to bust once this season. He had to have that good game so he could bust again.

He's the bust that keeps on busting.

What kind of idiot benches a guy the entire game for 1 dropped pass?  Tampa has so many screw ups but Howard is the only guy that gets thrown under the bus consistently by his HC no less publicly.