Sign in to follow this  
Flyman75

Evan Engram 2019 Outlook

Evan Engram exploded on the scene as a rookie...something rookie TEs rarely do. He didn't have an awful 2018 season...it was just riddled with injuries was a disappointment in comparison to the expectations following such a promising 2017. Even so, he was just off his catches-per-game average in 2017, and both his yards-per-game and yards-per-catch increased in 2018. If he had played a full 16-game schedule, he would have been the TE6 this past season...or TE7 if O.J. Howard had played 16 games. 

In a bad offense, he's produced a 16-game pace of 67-800-5. Not bad, but I know we'd all like to see more TDs from him. I mentioned in the Howard thread that I think the young TEs are going to make the position deeper in the near future, and I believe Engram can and will be a part of that. He's too talented and too athletic to just fade away. 

Most encouraging...in his final four games of the season, he was targeted 31 times, producing 22-320-1. Man...if he can carry something close to that over into 2019, we could be getting ready to see a nice breakout season. Is 70-1000-6 out of the question for him? 

How do you assess his capabilities in his third NFL season, assuming he'll be healthy? 

To a certain extent, Engram was the only viable receiver in NY after Odell went down in 2017, and in 2018, Engram's best games came again after Odell got injured (his numbers are double in 2018 for the games where Odell didn't play - from 3/35 per game to 6/80).

What I also noticed in his stats for 2017/2018 is how his catch rate has improved from 55% to 70%, which is huge; but I found that's actually in line with Eli's throws. In 2017, Eli had a lot of trouble going deep (45% completion vs 79% short) whereas in 2018 that was 67% vs 87% (which might well be in line with the rest of the league). Also to note that Engram in 2017 was targeted 22 times deep and caught only 6; in 2018 he was basically restricted to the short game, and only had some deep throws with Odell out.

So. For Engram to do well in 2019, he needs:

- stay healthy and play well

- Eli healthy and throwing well

- preferably one of the other offensive stars to go down.

If both Odell and Saquon stay healthy, I predict a year of 50/600/4; if he gets a chance to step up, that could all double.

Staying away unless he makes it to pick 120+.  Showed nothing with OBJ on the field, and Shurmer doesn't appear to care about using his talented TE.

14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Engrams value gets a massive bump with Beckham trade. 

Agree here, especially if they draft Haskins or Kyler. I can see the rooks leaning on the TE big time next year.