lolcopter

Phillip Lindsay 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Yeah, I definitely won't be drafting Lindsay now at his current draft position though it will likely fall in PPR due to Riddick's signing.  

I really hope this does tank Lindsay's ADP even further down than it already is.  Value for days

9 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I think this is just a depth move in case Lindsay goes down.  

Nah. Riddick is a third down back exclusively. He'll compete with Booker for that role. People seem to forget that Booker played like a quarter of the snaps last year. Riddick could take that role. 

Ultimately, I don't think the signing of Riddick impacts Lindsay or Freeman. Those are the top two. The only question is who is number 3. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Nah. Riddick is a third down back exclusively. He'll compete with Booker for that role. People seem to forget that Booker played like a quarter of the snaps last year. Riddick could take that role. 

Ultimately, I don't think the signing of Riddick impacts Lindsay or Freeman. Those are the top two. The only question is who is number 3. 

I think I've been assuming that Linday is their current third down back (as well as sometimes early down).   So if he goes down, Riddick would have some pass catching work.  But to be honest, I haven't been following the Broncos closely enough to know Booker's role.

Edited by K197040

12 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Riddick is exclusively a 3rd down back, yes, but him now being there for 3rd downs means that's one less down for Lindsay to be in there for especially if it turns out being something like a 60/40 split on early downs with Freeman.  Lindsay isn't worth near his current draft position now imo.

15 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This is accurate.   Changes nothing for my expectations of this backfield.   Lindsay had 227 touches last season on a 42% snap share if I recall the stat correctly.    When he had to earn the job as a UDFA the same year they drafted a guy in the third round.    

Expect his carries and receptions to go up regardless of who is the backup and part time COP. 

• Like 2

Riddick sucks. He was likely signed as depth in case of injury. 

The only concern is that Denver may be smart enough to split carries between 2 very good backs to keep them both healthy/fresh. It's bad news for fantasy owners though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Riddick is exclusively a 3rd down back, yes, but him now being there for 3rd downs means that's one less down for Lindsay to be in there for especially if it turns out being something like a 60/40 split on early downs with Freeman.  Lindsay isn't worth near his current draft position now imo.

Riddick isn't gonna see the field. He's a loser. This is gonna be a blessing. He's gonna deflate Freeman and Lindsay cost just a bit then we all draft, then he'll get cut, then we got the 2 time share backs we expected this whole time at an even more reduced cost. 

• Like 3

This is potential good news for people targeting Lindsay, it'll drop his perceived value a bit. IMO, Riddick was a depth signing, Lindsay at this point is twice the player Theo is. 

37 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Riddick isn't gonna see the field. He's a loser. This is gonna be a blessing. He's gonna deflate Freeman and Lindsay cost just a bit then we all draft, then he'll get cut, then we got the 2 time share backs we expected this whole time at an even more reduced cost. 

Yay.

Posted (edited)

He did REALLY well off the wavier wire last year given how poor the overall offense was but he's a hard pass this year with possible riddick interference and the fact that for some reason the broncos are hell bent on giving freeman more work. Even if riddick doesn't work out there is still freeman to deal with. This looks like an ugly timeshare for most of the weeks and his ADP is too high to watch him get vultured at the worst possible times. Hard pass

Edited by Guwop

A small sample size but Riddick had 4+ YPC and caught 61 balls last year. I don't think a backup RB who catches 60+ is completely worthless. I don't think he'll see a lot of time, but I do think he could see his share of 3d down touches enough to further dilute what is already a very RBBCish situation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sjm76 said:

If you really believe Riddick will be the primary 3rd down back then you should be drafting him! Realistically he's not much more than a warm body to push Booker for scraps. 

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

If you really believe Riddick will be the primary 3rd down back then you should be drafting him! Realistically he's not much more than a warm body to push Booker for scraps. 

I've always been a Theo fan in certain formats, but I agree that he shouldn't be seen as THAT much of a threat to Lindsay or Freeman's value. By the end of the season I'm sure a healthy Theo will have amassed what looks like a reasonable amount of receptions, but his overall value right now lands somewhere in between "not worthless" and "a warm body to push Book for scraps". He'll be competing for that last ~15% of snaps, assuming Lindsay gets ~45-50%, and Freeman sees ~35-40%. 

17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I’m curious if anyone has even considered moving Lindsay and Freeman down a bit because of Riddick’s signing?  I see this as a possible threat to desperate Booker owners in really deep leagues who are still holding out hope that he’ll return some kind of value for the draft capital they invested in him. 

37 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

I’m curious if anyone has even considered moving Lindsay and Freeman down a bit because of Riddick’s signing?  I see this as a possible threat to desperate Booker owners in really deep leagues who are still holding out hope that he’ll return some kind of value for the draft capital they invested in him. 

Definitely. In a keeper league of mine a guy that was keeping Lindsay immediately went and traded for a different keeper after that signing. 

It's gonna reduce cost. 

If his ADP drops to the 8th round i'll consider him.

Assuming Riddick makes the team this will certainly cap the upside of Lindsay. Lindsay was not great in the passing game last year. There was a reason Booker was used so much last year.  Riddick is great in the passing game and he can block. I'd see no reason why he wouldn't be in there on most third down passing situations.

Also, it sounds like the Broncos are switching to more of a zone blocking scheme which favors Freeman. Last years scheme favored Lindsay and his speed. 

I think he could disappoint. 

There is also the beginnings of a drum beat for Muhammid who looked very good in the passing game out of the back field in the Hall of Fame game. 

lol @ Muhammid. August is such fun, every little thing that anyone does or doesn't do and every little whisper from - basically anyone, coaches, players, sports reporter hacks, the team secretary - is blown way out of proportion. It's like the summer version of the combine. 

37 minutes ago, bomont said:

lol @ Muhammid. August is such fun, every little thing that anyone does or doesn't do and every little whisper from - basically anyone, coaches, players, sports reporter hacks, the team secretary - is blown way out of proportion. It's like the summer version of the combine. 

So what players do should be completely ignored? Screw those guys trying to make the back end of a roster, right? 

I get not buying into stats, but he did show some nice burst last night. He was also on the practice squad last season so they have something invested in him already. He certainly didn't win a spot from the HOF game, but it has to give Denver a bit of confidence in him to show some more the next time out. 

As for Lindsay, I am not worried about Riddick at all. Freeman is the only real threat to his value. I have him cheap in a keeper league, but it sounds like a frustrating situation to own shares in.

1 hour ago, Homerj24 said:

So what players do should be completely ignored?

What some scrub player does in a pre-season game against other scrub players should probably be mostly if not entirely ignored, yes. 

Screw those guys trying to make the back end of a roster, right? 

? I have no idea where you're going with that. So you're saying draft a guy who's not likely to ever earn you a single point out of pity?  ??

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bomont said:

What some scrub player does in a pre-season game against other scrub players should probably be mostly if not entirely ignored, yes. 

? I have no idea where you're going with that. So you're saying draft a guy who's not likely to ever earn you a single point out of pity?  ??

Who is saying draft him? It's called drumbeats...You ever here of a guy named Philip Lindsay who was starting to create some drumbeats last year at about this time?

Edited by mongidig
  • Like 1

You mean a guy basically nobody drafted? Yeah I've heard of him. He didn't really start making fantasy rosters until he made noise in the regular season and became a big FA pickup.

If no one is saying draft Muhammid, why bother talking about him now (on the Lindsay thread no less)? This is draft season. Muhammid presents zero change in Lindsay's draft value.

32 minutes ago, bomont said:

If he ends up making the roster as an RB4 behind the likes of Riddick or Booker & either those guys gets hurt (this happens in football) he's a name to stash away for those in dynasty or deeper leagues. Clearly, he's nowhere near a player you want to draft right now, but he at least posses some decent skill.

I was going the way of making Denver's roster, not a fantasy roster. But to my point above, anyone on a roster in the NFL can find themselves in a situation that may lead to some form of relevance. 

30 minutes ago, mongidig said:

Who is saying draft him? It's called drumbeats...You ever here of a guy named Philip Lindsay who was starting to create some drumbeats last year at about this time?

While I agree, he is not Lindsay. When I saw Lindsay perform week 1 of preseason last year it was one of those moments where you knew what you were seeing was different. While the kid showed some burst, he did not have what Lindsay has.

1 minute ago, Homerj24 said:

While I agree, he is not Lindsay. When I saw Lindsay perform week 1 of preseason last year it was one of those moments where you knew what you were seeing was different. While the kid showed some burst, he did not have what Lindsay has.

Of course he's not Lindsay. An undrafted free agent making the pro bowl in his first year has never happened. I'm just pointing out the continuation of a good off season for Muhamid with a good first pre season game. 

I'm moving him up from my 172nd RB to 155.

• Haha 2