Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Chardo said:

The Chiefs offense is built around creating open space, and getting the ball to your players in that open space.  That is where McCoy eats.  He was not signed just to sit and watch.  He was signed because he perfectly fits the offense.  His age will prevent bell cow use, but barring injury, he will lead the team in touches.  I expect around 50/40/10 split in snaps and touches.  

McCoy sure did eat in Buffalo last year in space. He’s lost a step.

17 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

That's a thoughtful, yet generic response that you would expect from a professional. To take those words and to somehow translate them into McCoy not wanting to play or that McCoy will not play is wrong.

Lol where did he translate it to that? People just create things that aren’t there I swear…

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:
26 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

"Those are some pretty good backs,'' McCoy said. "That's for Coach Reid to [decide]. The good thing about that is he's been doing that for a number of years with different guys like Duce Staley and [Brian] Westbrook, who had really good careers. I'm open to working hard and competing. The ultimate goal is to win. That's one thing I haven't done yet. I've had good numbers. I've done good things. But I want to win. I need to be with a winning team, and whatever it takes to get that done, we'll do."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27522425/reid-mccoy-will-ready-sunday

Pretty obvious to me he knows he’s not being handed the lead role, especially his line about coming in and competing. He’s not worried about putting up numbers, he just wants to win at this stage of his career.

That's a thoughtful, yet generic response that you would expect from a professional. To take those words and to somehow translate them into McCoy not wanting to play or that McCoy will not play is wrong.

Seriously.  What did we expect Shady to say?  "Yeah, I'm gonna come in and start.  These other rb's here suck."  Of course he's going to say that he wants to compete and that the other rbs (his new teammates) are excellent players, etc.

If he said something like "I expect to be a strong veteran influence in the locker room." and left it at that, my eyebrows would raise.  That's the standard line for an old player brought in to be a backup.  He said no such thing.  He's there to compete for snaps.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

But, can you explain why Reid would say both Damien and Shady are starters?

I could be wrong, but the way I interpreted what he said was Damien and McCoy were both capable of being starters.  Dame's already been confirmed as the Week 1 starter, a role I expect him to maintain barring injury.  I'm not saying Shady won't have a role, but I do not expect him to supplant Damien.  

I want you all to recall the glowing reports that Reid was showering on Hyde earlier this off season, as well.

Edited by JoeJoe88
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

How many games has dalvin cook missed?

How many times you were wrong about Derrick Henry? But any hoo.....do your research and you will find those blurbs...I mean this is a rotoworld forum.    I guess it’s true to say that a lot of people would rather see their opinions written down rather than see factual recorded notes of injuries and nick ups that were on the actual Rotoworld website. And yet your down playing me.....Cmon skip

38 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Lol where did I ever say McCoy wasn’t going to play? I have him ranked above Damien - see my post above. 😂 Man, overreaction city in this thread. This is exactly what I’m talking about. It’s going to be a timeshare, and KC’s offense is good enough to support two backs. Who cares whether it’s 60/40 in favor of McCoy or Damien? Both guys are going to get work.

Edited by kraftwrk_5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'll check back on Sunday, nothing new to be posted till the game is played.

I might not check back until week 3 or so.  Week 1 is gonna be Williams primarily (unless there's a surprise), which is to be expected.  Where I'm interested is when Shady is fully up to speed on the offense.

Bah - who am I kidding...this thread is the most fun on the forum.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Haha 4

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I love Fantasy Football season.

The stress, desperation, clinging... Is strong here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

How many games has Williams missed as a pro? 

How could you tell?

We need to start a poll to see who everyone thinks will have the most FP out of the KC backfield this year.

25 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

We need to start a poll to see who everyone thinks will have the most FP out of the KC backfield this year.

Barring injuries, I think it's going to be McCoy > Williams > Thompson

I think Reid is going to favor McCoy inside 20 yds.

Edited by kcm012
  • Like 1

He fell to me in the 4th round yesterday. Had to take him. Shady will be a factor but I think D.Wil is still the guy the own. 

Now we wait.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Fixed that for you.

you dont have a clue and will soon learn. sorry kid

Edited by TrillaTrilla

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Thompson....hes the most talented back.  Reid won't be afraid to deploy him come midseason.  Early on it will be a time share.  Halfway through McCoy will either be injured or fade away.  Damien is JAG, and Thompson is younger and a better fit for the offense.  

It's hilarious that everyone is offering up all these quotes but everyone is seemingly ignoring the most telling part of the presser. It's right here, at the very beginning.

"You see the offense. I mean, I'm just trying to get in here and just, fit a small role. These guys are rolling, and be part of that. I think they have a great chance at a championship."

Edited by CallMeBDB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CallMeBDB said:

It's hilarious that everyone is offering up all these quotes but everyone is seemingly ignoring the most telling part of the presser. It's right here, at the very beginning.

"You see the offense. I mean, I'm just trying to get in here and just, fit a small role. These guys are rolling, and be part of that. I think they have a great chance at a championship."

He's not lying. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce and Watkins play a big role in the offense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CallMeBDB said:

Not sure why anyone would put much stock, one way or the other, into these signing conferences. This is professional athlete 101 stuff. They're going to say things like this simply to not ruffle feathers in the locker room.

8 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Person D : Someone who has none of the above players but love to be entertained by the back and forth between Persons A, B, C.

hit the nail on the head there

7 minutes ago, CallMeBDB said:

okay, so McCoy isn't a moron, he isn't going to come in and flex on Williams for no reason.  this is boiler plate new teammate talking about contributing to his new team talk.  there is no insight to be taken for this, and it reeks of desperation to grasp at this as some kind of sign. 

it's easy to sound modest and humble when you know you have the coaches backing.  and you don't have to do your own dirty work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

He's not lying. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce and Watkins play a big role in the offense.

Agree...he wasn't talking about a small role among the running backs, he was talking about his role in the entire offense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

tldr;

Person A: "I have Damien Williams so he's going to be the clear cut RB1 on KC and McCoy won't barely do anything to change that"

Person B: "I don't have Williams but I have McCoy, and McCoy is going to become the RB1 within the first few weeks"

Person C : "I have neither. I have Darwin and he's going to do better than both of these bums because I have him, on my roster, that's why!!"

There. I just saved you 112 pages of reading. 

I have a bunch of shares of Williams I got in the 3rd that I’m not too happy about after the McCoy signing 

3 minutes ago, kcm012 said:

Not sure why anyone would put much stock, one way or the other, into these signing conferences. This is professional athlete 101 stuff. They're going to say things like this simply to not ruffle feathers in the locker room.

This is certainly true. I was merely pointing out how people were throwing quotes at each other trying to rationalize the motives of the words, and yet noone references the clearest quote possible, straight from the horse's mouth.

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

hit the nail on the head there

okay, so McCoy isn't a moron, he isn't going to come in and flex on Williams for no reason.  this is boiler plate new teammate talking about contributing to his new team talk.  there is no insight to be taken for this, and it reeks of desperation to grasp at this as some kind of sign. 

it's easy to sound modest and humble when you know you have the coaches backing.  and you don't have to do your own dirty work. 

The difference is that you should take the words at face value until otherwise noted. You accuse someone of "reading too much into this direct quote" while literally doing exactly that by rationalizing a state of mind or a motive that isn't clearly observable.

1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Agree...he wasn't talking about a small role among the running backs, he was talking about his role in the entire offense.

The starting RB in this offense doesn't have a small role.

It's an open competition. If you own both Williams and McCoy, you're a smart owner. 

To those who don't, do a trade before it's too late.

4 minutes ago, CallMeBDB said:

This is certainly true. I was merely pointing out how people were throwing quotes at each other trying to rationalize the motives of the words, and yet noone references the clearest quote possible, straight from the horse's mouth.

The difference is that you should take the words at face value until otherwise noted. You accuse someone of "reading too much into this direct quote" while literally doing exactly that by rationalizing a state of mind or a motive that isn't clearly observable.

The starting RB in this offense doesn't have a small role.

except for the fact that it was a boiler plate press conference that every newly signed player have and they all give nearly that exact same quote each time. you're simply missing the point.  trying to grab at anything from that press conference is grasping at straws

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I have a bunch of shares of Williams I got in the 3rd that I’m not too happy about after the McCoy signing 

You’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to talk about how confident you are in Williams and mention Shady being washed up and only there for a few carries when Williams needs a breather. 

• Haha 2