Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:
12 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I have a bunch of shares of Williams I got in the 3rd that I’m not too happy about after the McCoy signing 

You’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to talk about how confident you are in Williams and mention Shady being washed up and only there for a few carries when Williams needs a breather. 

I agree.

@bhawks489, you might be more comfortable in the Aaron Rodgers thread, where there's some semblance of sanity.

5 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

It's an open competition. If you own both Williams and McCoy, you're a smart owner. 

To those who don't, do a trade before it's too late.

If I wanted Williams I would’ve just drafted him myself. There’s no way in hell I’m offering up 3rd round value in a trade or 4th or 5th for that matter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asian Sensation said:

If I wanted Williams I would’ve just drafted him myself. There’s no way in hell I’m offering up 3rd round value in a trade or 4th or 5th for that matter. 

Exactly... I'd much rather have Carson, Montgomery, Michel and then hedge and pickup McCoy in the 9th/10th (where he's been going in my drafts).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Panthor said:

except for the fact that it was a boiler plate press conference that every newly signed player have and they all give nearly that exact same quote each time. you're simply missing the point.  trying to grab at anything from that press conference is grasping at straws

... oh yeah, ya just know Reid scripted that whole shebang 👨‍👦

27 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

It's an open competition. If you own both Williams and McCoy, you're a smart owner. 

To those who don't, do a trade before it's too late.

Smart owners don’t draft a guy in the second or third round that they have to handcuff even if there’s no injury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

was feeling good getting williams in the 4th and then thompson in the 9th. felt like i covered my bases. then hyde got traded and everything's rainbows. this mccoy signing really dampens the mood, just hope williams gets extra motivated and kills it for a 70/20/10 split with mccoy and thompson lol.

19 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Oh god, your contention was that the 62-yd play is largely attributable to Williams' skill set, which is woefully false, I'm sorry. There's nothing special to see here, all he does is run a simple wheel route! The design of the play & that he's isolated against a DE, who's screened by the TE to that side are the reasons why he gets so wide open! Freeze your video the moment he catches the football. That's not wide open in the NFL?  Watch Mahomes on this play, he doesn't look anywhere else. The assignment of the receivers to that side is to impede & occupy cover personnel. When Williams breaks back inside to avoid the safety, nickel 'backer Kwon Alexander does close on him & appears to have a shot to make this tackle, but he made no attempt.

Any decent receiving RB in the NFL makes this play. Williams' route running, his ability to catch, his ability after catch, his speed, none of those are key factors here.    

I watched it half a dozen times and I’m more impressed every time I see it.  Williams is prefect for this offense.  Kamara lite and explosive as hell.  

What i keep reading from you is Williams did nothing.  When he took a short catch and ran 50+ yards with multiple defenders around him/chasing him.  So when T Hill runs past a corner or dusts a safety he did nothing either right?  Since it was Williams it’s basically nothing.  Get out of here with this s***.  You sound more ignorant the more i read your post. 

I get it, you must own McCoy and think he is still the 2010 version of himself.  He is no where close.  He will be injured or rotting on the bench by week 5.  He is washed up like doug baldwin a year ago.  I sold my shares in him last off-season.  And I’d sell every share I own in MCCoy right now if I had any! 

I dont own Williams, but I would love shares at 4/5 range in the draft.  He went in my local drafts at 2.9 where I hadn’t picked after taking mcCaffrey #3 overall. I picked 2.10, man I was pissed.  In my other draft he went 3.1, where I took Zeke and M Thomas ahead of him.  I was targeting him with my next pick in both cases. I’ve been working on both owners as well as the dynasty owner that has him for a deal ever since I heard the McCoy news.  I haven’t been able get Williams for anything less than what I picked before he was taken.  So I’m not doing that deal.  In fact I hope he is shut down completely by Jax and some of those owners panic.  

Edited by Sgt. Ryan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grumption said:

Anybody selling this dude week 1 if he balls out? Just to avoid the headache of dealing with the timeshare?

I’ll test the waters— sure.   But I’m more likely to try and nab shady cheap.    This is a valuable backfield to own 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grumption said:

Anybody selling this dude week 1 if he balls out? Just to avoid the headache of dealing with the timeshare?

I think I’m just going to go down with the ship. I’m in the acceptance stage at this point that I took a gamble on this dude because I wanted a piece of that offense - granted, this was prior to Shady signing but, it is what it is. I think if anything I’m going to try and get Shady to lock up the backfield.

• Like 1

Hopefully he’s James White on the Chiefs. That’s still a starting RB in most leagues.

• Like 2

Took him in 4th round last night. Carson got swooped pick in front of me. I'll have to deal with him and hope he's the guy that performed in the playoffs last year

7 hours ago, Sgt. Ryan said:

"... What I keep reading from you is Williams did nothing. When he took a short catch and ran 50+ yards with multiple defenders around him/chasing him. So when T Hill runs past a corner or dusts a safety he did nothing either right? Since it was Williams it’s basically nothing. Get out of here with this s***. You sound more ignorant the more I read your post. ..." 

The facts speak for themselves, yet you remain enamored with this play. I broke it down & you've yet to refute what I said. The reason you don't is because you can't! What I said was that Williams didn't do anything special. Saying he caught the ball & ran 50+ yards with defenders around him is conveniently vague & allows readers to infer something more than what's really there... Physically he's always looked the part & may well hold up. Where he was coming off boards has been what much of the debate has been about, that & draft strategy. I'll say this, the guy who drafted Williams & 'cuffed him Hyde & ended up with McCoy is looking pretty brilliant right about now. He may not be among us here, but he is out there somewhere. :)   

• Like 1

In my draft last night, I was able to get DWill in the 6th and McCoy in the 10th.  I feel like I have the KC backfield covered and can see how things shake out.  If one of them were to get injured then the other one becomes an automatic RB1/2.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, mortman212 said:

Again MCCoy is insurance against a Williams injury, Reid did not have confidence in Darwin Thompson or Darrel Williams, so he got insurance.  Dam Williams is the starter he will get the 15 touches a game with MCCoy sprinkled in.  Dam Williams at this point in his career is more efficient that McCoy. 

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of people exclaiming "Dam Williams!" this weekend, either people who didn't draft him, or people who did, lol

• Like 1

I don't know how the backfield shares will play out, but if I had to bet on one vs the other, I'd invest in Shady over Dwill.  I think Shady is the better player, older and all, and once he gets familiar with the offense he should get the bulk of the work.  This is strictly an opinion, and a loose one at that.

2 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Which means DWill is gonna play is brains out to keep his job.
And when he gets hurt doing so, they'll switch over to McCoy, who will have to play his brains out to keep Darwin Thompson off the field.

Who says Andy Reid isn't a genius?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have no idea how this is going to shake, but I will be watching the Chiefs very close this weekend. I didn't panic initially when Shady was signed, very well may panic after this week depending on usage.

6 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Why wouldn’t he take the news well? McCoy is a washed up 31 year old who might get 2 touches a game. Why would Reid possibly think DWill wouldn’t take the news well?

😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chief79 said:

In my draft last night, I was able to get DWill in the 6th and McCoy in the 10th.  I feel like I have the KC backfield covered and can see how things shake out.  If one of them were to get injured then the other one becomes an automatic RB1/2.

Great situation to be in.  This Chiefs offense is loaded with scoring and it's great having both.  See what happens!  RB1 potential down the road for someone there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Why wouldn’t he take the news well? McCoy is a washed up 31 year old who might get 2 touches a game. Why would Reid possibly think DWill wouldn’t take the news well?

😉

Exactly.  Clear as day that Shady was brought in to be way more than "insurance" or "the backup", as people on this thread keep saying.  It might end up that way, but Damien was obviously told that Shady is starter material and it's no longer Damien's show (or...at the very least...that he's gonna have to earn it too, just like Shady).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chief79 said:

10 or 12 team? I ended up getting DWill 63rd overall and Shady 87th overall in my draft monday night. RBs flew off the board and I only had Carsen before taking Dwill so I felt like I had to get Shady to make sure I had the backfield locked up. Even if they both are fantasy relevant, they should both be solid flex plays worst case I would think.