Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

FWIW, this is being is being described as a bone bruise...which can take 1-2 months to heal. As opposed to a soft tissue bruise which usually aren't a problem for more than a week.

• Like 2

So if Williams is out for weeks and Shady takes over, I guess this 133 pages of arguing was a big waste?  Not really fair to call either of these guys "the winner" if it's due to injury.

Anyone DWill owners have Thompson? I think it's worthwhile especially w/Shady not 100%.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Anyone DWill owners have Thompson? I think it's worthwhile especially w/Shady not 100%.

Yes. At this point if you own D Will and you have Darwin sitting on the wire it's probably a good idea to go get him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RingMyBell said:

This guy annoys the sh.. out of me.  Been nothing but a headache since I drafted him.

You've had him for two weeks...he got you solid points week 1. This is fantasy football, this is par for the course with pretty much anyone that isn't elite

Watching this game of telephone play out is hilarious. The horse did not say bone bruise. The horse did not say contusion.  All these terms are being thrown around by reporters and writers and non-doctors.  

FACT IS we don't know the exact details of Damien's injury. They have not come out and told us what is is.   All we know is he's not practicing today.  We don't know how long this will be the case.  

If you have space, and you're worried go ahead and add Darwin.  

Edited by Mathew Berry

1 minute ago, Mathew Berry said:

Watching this game of telephone play out is hilarious. The horse did not say bone bruise. The horse did not say contusion.  All these terms are being thrown around by reporters and writers and non-doctors.  

FACT IS we don't know the exact details of Damien's injury. They have not come out and told us what is is.   All we know is he's not practicing today.  We don't know how long this will be the case.  

If you have space, and you're worried go ahead and add Darwin.  

yup - just have a back up option ready and come back tomorrow and see if he practices 

Not good. Bone bruise is at least a couple weeks, probably more given that its his knee and knees are pretty important to RBs. Time to grab Thompson. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

Look man, I don'e like trolling but in his defense it's not his fault you drafted a RB with under 1,000 CAREER yards through FIVE seasons. 

I didn't draft him, just enjoy the fantasy discussion, this topic in particular is a unique situation and it's interesting to follow.

Condolences to all the owners that took Williams in the second round before Shady was signed, like myself. This is going to be a bumpy ride rest of the season.

• Like 4

I don't know if that post about Williams having a bone bruise is to be believed.  When I see it from a team source, I'll believe it.  It could be some guy guessing.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone knows anything definitive at this point, frankly.  All we know is both are not practicing.  We should wait until Friday.  The only actionable thing here is to pick up Thompson if you want.

The question here is this though...it's unlikely that either will be getting in a full practice this week if they're not even getting a limited session today.  Let's say McCoy is out and Williams barely practices....are you guys starting Williams?  They both looked pretty bad.

At this point in time, I would be assuming you can't start either and seeing if you need to make a pickup or even a small trade to tide you over for week 3.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't know if that post about Williams having a bone bruise is to be believed.  When I see it from a team source, I'll believe it.  It could be some guy guessing.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone knows anything definitive at this point, frankly.  All we know is both are not practicing.  We should wait until Friday.  The only actionable thing here is to pick up Thompson if you want.

The question here is this though...it's unlikely that either will be getting in a full practice this week if they're not even getting a limited session today.  Let's say McCoy is out and Williams barely practices....are you guys starting Williams?  They both looked pretty bad.

At this point in time, I would be assuming you can't start either and seeing if you need to make a pickup or even a small trade to tide you over for week 3.

Exactly, WE DON'T KNOW YET.    

1 hour ago, CoffToff10 said:

You've had him for two weeks...he got you solid points week 1. This is fantasy football, this is par for the course with pretty much anyone that isn't elite

People were drafting him like he was elite. 🤷‍♂️ Perfect case for drafting talent over situation. Both are important, but situation shouldn’t be superior in the selection process.

Edited by FitzMagic

I think he'll be fine. I've seen nothing to indicate his role is threatened and he actually looks quite good when not blown up in the back field.

Edited by CallMeBDB

1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

I own Williams and McCoy, so now I had to drop Chris Thompson to pick up Darwin Thompson just in case. So I now own 3 guys in a backfield that hasn't done jack s--- this year because they aren't efficient at all and they have a top notch QB who puts it up 35 time a game and can throw to the water boy and score.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

People were drafting him like he was elite. 🤷‍♂️ Perfect case for drafting talent over situation. Both are important, but situation shouldn’t be superior in the selection process.

2nd round is just insane.  There is so much downside with picking Williams there... just extremely risky and overpriced.  

You're right.  There are countless RB busts that were a result of people gambling on high usage.  But RB usage is a fickle beast, particularly when you're talking about a JAG.  

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

When we drafted, Damien with his "situation" in the KC offense + his "talent" was elite and proven through every single game he started last year including playoffs.  Nobody factored in lesean mccoy getting cut and signed in KC.  Nobody factored in Damien getting dinged up playing on Oakland's rock hard dirt baseball football field s--- combo.  All of "I told you so" trolls fighting among yourselves to claim the credit are full of it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

When we drafted, Damien with his "situation" in the KC offense + his "talent" was elite and proven through every single game he started last year including playoffs.  Nobody factored in lesean mccoy getting cut and signed in KC.  Nobody factored in Damien getting dinged up playing on Oakland's rock hard dirt baseball football field s--- combo.  All of "I told you so" trolls fighting among yourselves to claim the credit are full of it.  

He didn't fall to me and basically that's what it took if you drafted him. He could still turn it around. It's early but his stats in this elite offense are not encouraging, along with Shady's signing and now an injury.  One thing though that always did bother me about DW is that he was a journeyman for basically 5 years before he got his shot.  That normally doesn't work out for RBs in the NFL.  

Edited by mikeflavaz

Just now, Mathew Berry said:

When we drafted, Damien with his "situation" in the KC offense + his "talent" was elite and proven through every single game he started last year including playoffs.  Nobody factored in lesean mccoy getting cut and signed in KC. 

Oh please.  Williams performed decently well in a blip of a sample size at the very end of the year.  He started what?  2 games at the end of the season and 2 in the playoffs?  He had like 15 total carries before starting.  

That is NOT a meaningful sample size.  It's especially problematic when this guy is basically coming in fresh, while he's playing with others guys who have been grinding for 14 weeks.  

You know what is a meaningful sample?  The 5 years he spent in Miami, where he couldn't earn a significant time share and put up JAG stats.  

You know what else is meaningful?  His complete lack of draft pedigree.  And when I say draft pedigree, I mean he was an undrafted free agent.  

This guy has had an entire career of mediocrity.  One playoff performance does not change that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mikeflavaz said:

He didn't fall to me and basically that's what it took if you drafted him. He could still turn it around. It's early but his stats in this elite offense are not encouraging, along with Shady's signing and now an injury.  One thing though that always did bothered me about DW is that he was a journeyman for basically 5 years before he got his shot.  That normally doesn't work out for RBs in the NFL.  

Its an elite offense that runs thru an elite QB who puts it up 35 times a game. It doesn't run thru the RB position like it used to with Charles and others, but Reid has never had a QB close to Mahomes. Reid's play calling has really changed this year, especially because Williams and a 31 year old McCoy combined don't even come close to equaling one Hunt. Mahomes is on a tear like we have never seen, so why would Reid start using his RBs more? Especially when he doesn't have anyone close to elite. I may just dump all these guys and look elsewhere, this is the Mahones show and he isn't a dump it off to the back kinda guy, he airs it out.