Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

McCoy probably has some good games left in him until he wears down.

That's when the rookie (Thompson) will take over.

Williams will be a back-up.

Edited by Pooskay
  • Thanks 1

Don't think any could've predicted the ride would've ended this quickly

3 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

This is literally how Spencer Ware lost his job.

Twice too--once to Hunt and then to Williams.

• Thanks 1

We'll see what happens.  Certainly it looks like McCoy is in great shape now, but it's because of injury.  If Shady doesn't do his part and ball out, we may be back in this thread debating if Williams, once he's healthy, becomes a factor again.

The writing was on the wall the second they signed McCoy. Williams' ADP should have plummeted. That said, Shady's still on the wrong side of 30 coming off a horrible year. Certainly within the realm of possibility that McCoy falters/gets hurt and DWill resumes as the lead upon return.

Unfortunately this is probably where Williams loses his starting job. 

I drafted him pre-McCoy and also drafted Thompson which I feel good about. I don’t think McCoy holds up. 

As part of Team McCoy, I will say that it's not really cool for Team McCoy to gloat that they were right.  It was decided by injury, and we still don't know how it will turn out.

If I owned Williams, I would hold for now and see how McCoy does.  If he flops, then you should keep holding and see what happens.  If he goes off, then I would try to trade Williams to the McCoy owner for something.  He would have a lot of value as the best handcuff in the league, especially to the McCoy owner.

At the moment, though, DWill has very little value with the threat of McCoy owning the backfield soon.  Best to hold.

54 minutes ago, kevinwayne20 said:

McCoy hasn't looked good for years? He's one year removed from back to back top 7 RB fantasy seasons.  Thats back to back pro bowl seasons where he he averaged 100 yards per game from scrimmage.  I   don't understand how one bad season suddenly turned into a half dozen.  

it does when you draft williams in the 2nd or 3rd lol

As a Williams and McCoy owner i’m considering dropping Williams to make space for Thompson who’s still available.  I think there’s a decent chance McCoy or Thompson makes a statement and assumes the lead role moving forward.  Especially if Williams misses another game which is entirely possible.  Worst case, everyone sucks and Williams will require minimal FAAB to reacquire when healthy again. 

What a mess.

Edited by OmegaRed88
  • Haha 1

It's way too early to make a move to drop DW.

As I posted before but seems the overlords deleted, Shady was my RB #2 last year in my most important league and some have wondered why people think he is injury prone. The reason is last year he was often nicked/injured but got in a practice and was active but gave you nothing more times than we would like to recall. The fact that Shady owners last year kept starting him and getting burned was because he was effective in the years prior. This is important info for both Shady and DW owners. If shady is going to repeat his hurt/I'm ok/Active and do nothing patterns from last year than DW will obviously become quite relevant again very soon.

• Like 2

In my somewhat biased opinion, I wanted to draft Williams and let him slip. I thought he would be top 15 easy at a cheapish price. But I also thought he would clearly run away w the job from jump. I did think he had a short leash and if I owned him I’d be trying to sell if at all possible. I will admit I drafted Darwin but along the same lines of honesty, I’m nowhere near confident he runs away w the job. My honest opinion of this backfield is that shady is the guy now until he stays injured. However, I think that playoffs/SB is in Reid’s head and he isn’t going to ride Shady so early in the season. Unless someone literally runs away the job, I see this one being a headache

1 hour ago, Blazer said:

It's way too early to make a move to drop DW.

As I posted before but seems the overlords deleted, Shady was my RB #2 last year in my most important league and some have wondered why people think he is injury prone. The reason is last year he was often nicked/injured but got in a practice and was active but gave you nothing more times than we would like to recall. The fact that Shady owners last year kept starting him and getting burned was because he was effective in the years prior. This is important info for both Shady and DW owners. If shady is going to repeat his hurt/I'm ok/Active and do nothing patterns from last year than DW will obviously become quite relevant again very soon.

Thats exactly what will happen. I said in the McCoy thread that he’s 31 and coming off 5 injuries last year and would be hurt again by week 4. Everyone laughed and laughed. Not so funny now. Father Time is undefeated and RBs don’t get better as they get older. What you saw from McCoy last year is what he is now. This isn’t 2012 any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Thats exactly what will happen. I said in the McCoy thread that he’s 31 and coming off 5 injuries last year and would be hurt again by week 4. Everyone laughed and laughed. Not so funny now. Father Time is undefeated and RBs don’t get better as they get older. What you saw from McCoy last year is what he is now. This isn’t 2012 any longer. 

It’s still funny, we’re still laughing. 

• Like 1

Nobody smart is going to trade anything of value for DWill.  So find someone who is not smart and plunder their roster for something of value in exchange for Damien Williams.

No one is buying DW unless they are sending a player they plan to drop for waivers anyway.

I’ve been looking at opposing rosters and simply can’t propose a trade for how stupid it would look.

Edited by OmegaRed88

Get Darwin Thompson at least, hedge this... While the Shady owners laugh, they might be crying after Sunday...

Nobody knows how this will turn out yet

3 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

And yet Damien Williams is the one who’s out while McCoy will be active. Now that’s funny. :)

• Haha 1

If you call what McCoy has been doing so far being "active..."

Since Damien Williams left the game last Sunday, missed every practice this week, was declared "out" pretty early, and apparently was having trouble walking when spotted by reporters, can we surmise that he may be hurt a bit worse than was initially announced?  I am thinking he will be a question mark, potentially, going forward after this weekend.

8 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

Father Time - undefeated*

*Tom Brady

7 minutes ago, chargahs said:

Father Time - undefeated*

*Tom Brady

Anyone else?