Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

The argument for Shady is not only the evidence this year of him being the most productive back, but his career vs Damien. As well as Reid running to sign him 6 hours after his release.

I do not understand how you can call SSS on Damiens 32 carries this season when he only had 50 last season as well. 

Note McCoy already this year is at 48 carries- McCoy's sample size this year rushing is almost the same size of Damien's sample size last year rushing. 

Lol there is no room to argue with Damien truthers. They bring up small sample size when you bring up recent performance but when you bring up career numbers, they say it's not comparable situations in KC vs Miami.

So they hang onto that one hot run he had at the end of last year as the only usable sample size for this career JAG who could never take over the starting job without an injury to those ahead of him on the depth chart.

35 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

The argument for Shady is not only the evidence this year of him being the most productive back, but his career vs Damien. As well as Reid running to sign him 6 hours after his release.

I do not understand how you can call SSS on Damiens 32 carries this season when he only had 50 last season as well. 

Note McCoy already this year is at 48 carries- McCoy's sample size this year rushing is almost the same size of Damien's sample size last year rushing. 

I’m not arguing any of those numbers. They’re all SSS

48 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

SSS bro. If you can’t see that I can’t help you. 

Damien Williams's whole career is a small sample because he's never gotten himself into a position to earn a workload.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Looks like it not going to be happening for Damien Williams this season.  The question is, will Reid figure this out in time?  Or will he stubbornly stick with Damien and watch the season swirl down the bowl?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Looks like it not going to be happening for Damien Williams this season.  The question is, will Reid figure this out in time?  Or will he stubbornly stick with Damien and watch the season swirl down the bowl?

Can he play d-line?

Chief offense has to carry this defense.  So they have to do better.

If you believed in Damien Williams at draft time, it’s time to come to the conclusion you made a big mistake. Own IT, admit you were wrong. This situation in KC is crap. I believed and thank God another teammate had a notion Damien could be a star. I was saved. 

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

What a great teaching case study Damien Williams has been this season.  The lesson is this, and anyone who wants to win at this game may well put it on a card, laminate it, and carry it around in your wallet: With early picks, draft players, not "role alone."  On early picks, always ask yourself the question "is this guy good?"  

All fantasy is a learning experience.  Don't end up with "next year's Damien Williams."

This is just another variation on the card I have laminated in my pocket: If he was picked up off waivers at the end of the last year, never draft him in the first three rounds next year.

Jeremy Hill, CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Legarrette Blount, Jay Ajayi, Kenyan Drake, Damien Williams, I could go on, and on, and on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

What a great teaching case study Damien Williams has been this season.  The lesson is this, and anyone who wants to win at this game may well put it on a card, laminate it, and carry it around in your wallet: With early picks, draft players, not "role alone."  On early picks, always ask yourself the question "is this guy good?"  Those who took Damien Williams in the late 2nd or early 3rd drafted "Random Depth Chart RB1, Kansas City," without actually looking at who held that spot on the depth chart.  Is anyone surprised that the guy has shown the Moves like JAGger this season, resulting in him slipping down the depth chart and turning into a massive bust?  The guy's spent his whole career on the bench behind so-so talents.  Did he suddenly "get good?"  No, he didn't.

There are JAGs every year who pop up with big seasons because of role.  But you grab those guys in the later rounds.  (And you surely don't invest heavily into the next year at high prices, see Jeremy Hill.)  In the 7th or 8th round and onward, when you're just speculating on upside, you can focus on role.  The cost of doing so is minimal.  But with your top picks you have to get talent.  Talent stays on the field.  Talent is immune to being usurped by Carlos Hyde, or McCoy, or some other rando named Williams, etc.  Talent will always have a shot at big volume.  

To illustrate the point, recall the two-headed monster that was Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.  When Hernandez disappeared, people were tripping over themselves to draft Zach Sudfeld because he was going to "have the Hernandez role."  There was no "Hernandez role."  There was just Hernandez and his high talent.  And there's no "Gronk role," notice that NE basically just wrote the tight ends out of their playbook once Gronk retired.  Remember the Adrian Peterson handcuffs like Toby Gerhart?  He wasn't able to be a fantasy star when he inherited the "role" either.  JAGs find themselves out of the box score more often than not, especially on teams with ambition.

I see on here repeatedly the idea that "nobody knew McCoy was going to be signed."  That's true.  But it was very easy to see Williams being surpassed by somebody, anybody, because he wasn't an elite talent.  It might have been McCoy, Jay Ajayi, Hyde, Tim Hightower, CJ Anderson, who knows.  

All fantasy is a learning experience.  Don't end up with "next year's Damien Williams."

On the other hand, taking a crack at the next Damien Williams (so to speak) backup at the end of drafts can sometimes work out.

Obviously this situation is murky, and no one was excited about taking Buffalo Bills RB LeSean McCoy.  But generally speaking, if you find yourself in position to take the backup to the 2nd/3rd round JAG in the 12th or 13th...

9 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

So who got the most action yesterday?  I didn't see much foot ball at all yesterday.  Who had the most snaps?  

I believe Damien had by far the most snaps, but only got a grand total of 2 touches all game.

I grabbed him in the 4th round so I'm not as invested as those that took him in the 2nd, but man...this is an ugly situation. 2 touches?!?!?! 

Benched for the time being.

14 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I believe Damien had by far the most snaps, but only got a grand total of 2 touches all game.

Which is crazy for any starting RB in any offense, no matter the score or circumstances.

Welcome to the Andy Reid school of RB usage! 🤪

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Sounds like a veiled criticism of Patrick Mahomes, or at least shifting responsibility to him.  Good luck with that one Bieniemy.  

42 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

This is just another variation on the card I have laminated in my pocket: If he was picked up off waivers at the end of the last year, never draft him in the first three rounds next year.

Jeremy Hill, CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Legarrette Blount, Jay Ajayi, Kenyan Drake, Damien Williams, I could go on, and on, and on.

That's an excellent list.  And it does seem that RBs tend to be the main culprits.  I'd throw CJ Spiller in there, although I always thought he had talent, so he wasn't in my list of examples.  (And I'll readily admit that in one league I got "stars in my eyes" on him and went down with the ship.)

38 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

On the other hand, taking a crack at the next Damien Williams (so to speak) backup at the end of drafts can sometimes work out.

Obviously this situation is murky, and no one was excited about taking Buffalo Bills RB LeSean McCoy.  But generally speaking, if you find yourself in position to take the backup to the 2nd/3rd round JAG in the 12th or 13th...

Absolutely.  I never quibble with someone "taking a shot" late, and sometimes those are the league winning moves.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

So who got the most action yesterday?  I didn't see much foot ball at all yesterday.  Who had the most snaps?  

Early read but the breakdown Ive seen was:

McCoy 50%
Damien 38% 

Darrel 12%

Hate to be that guy, and this is just from watching them and not being a biased Damien owner, they should give the ball to Darrell more.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Sounds like a veiled criticism of Patrick Mahomes, or at least shifting responsibility to him.  Good luck with that one Bieniemy.  

If only the OC could call less RPO's.......

Ah well, keep on trucking GUY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OFFENSE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Early read but the breakdown Ive seen was:

McCoy 50%
Damien 38% 

Darrel 12%

Yeah, I stand corrected.  I believe I said that Damien was in there more than McCoy but it looks like McCoy was there 50% of the time.  I can't tell those guys apart still, even after being told by posters here exactly how to differentiate them from their stances.  Sorry.

7 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yeah, I stand corrected.  I believe I said that Damien was in there more than McCoy but it looks like McCoy was there 50% of the time.  I can't tell those guys apart still, even after being told by posters here exactly how to differentiate them from their stances.  Sorry.

Just found this for an official source.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/10/14/20913380/chiefs-texans-making-sense-of-snap-counts

This backfield is not friendly, its Russian roulette at this point. I have both mccoy and damien, this may hurt to hear but I think mccoy is taking the backfield.. damien is a version of tarik cohen that's the best way to view him. And shady is shady simple as that .. damien has more upside due to receptions and the type of routes he runs whereas mccoy will probably be a flex type rb solid but not great just average ..all in all this backfield needs an injury to happen quick awful to say

13 minutes ago, bearcatcheech said:

This backfield is not friendly, its Russian roulette at this point. I have both mccoy and damien, this may hurt to hear but I think mccoy is taking the backfield.. damien is a version of tarik cohen that's the best way to view him. And shady is shady simple as that .. damien has more upside due to receptions and the type of routes he runs whereas mccoy will probably be a flex type rb solid but not great just average ..all in all this backfield needs an injury to happen quick awful to say

While it's horrible to wish injury on anyone, the most beneficial injury for the KC RBs would be to Mahomes.  Then they will have to shift to a run based attack (or at least a balanced one).  WIth Mahomes there, these guys are like the opposite of the Vikings and Ravens.  They pass first and mix in the run to keep the defense honest.  Usually it's the other way around.