Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Should dynasty owners sell high on DWill now while they can? Or does the board think DWill will remain the starting RB next year still and continue to produce in FF next year as a rb1?

sell high or keep is the question in dynasty leagues

I'm not sure you're going to be able to sell high on DW unless you get an offer you can't refuse.

With FA, draft and off-season still to go, so many things can change, but personally I wouldn't waste too much time shopping him around. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Should dynasty owners sell high on DWill now while they can? Or does the board think DWill will remain the starting RB next year still and continue to produce in FF next year as a rb1?

18 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm not sure you're going to be able to sell high on DW unless you get an offer you can't refuse.

With FA, draft and off-season still to go, so many things can change, but personally I wouldn't waste too much time shopping him around. 

here's my very serious question......What more does Williams need to do to prove himself worthy of being the front runner for 2019? First he was a nobody that stood no chance of being relevant because of his time in Miami.......false. Next he was just a 3rd down back....false. After that he couldn't run between the tackles well enough.....false. Then it was that he wasn't talented enough to be a lead back.....false. Then he couldn't handle enough carries to be considered a horse.....false. 

He's 26. He's under a nice new contract for both sides. He possesses an every down skill set. He's clearly motivated to make a name for himself. He's plugged into the PERFECT system for a less than elite talent back (if you want to argue that's what he is). 

So again, what do YOU need to see to believe he could be an rb1 next year........just as he has been this year the moment he got his shot?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Not sure I'd be selling if I had him, but I'd be trying to acquire.  He's looked fantastic in this offense, and they've already extended him.  While it wouldn't surprise me at all if they drafted a RB for depth, I'd be surprised if it was before the 5th round, and I wouldn't imagine it'd impact Damien too much.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

here's my very serious question......What more does Williams need to do to prove himself worthy of being the front runner for 2019?  

1) KC shouldn't acquire any top RB talent in the coming months

2) DW shouldn't punch anybody in the face

3) preferably, DW should prove he can stand up to the pounding of 300 touches a year.

Other than that, all your points are well taken. I'm just happy I draft in August, when at least 2 of those questions will be clarified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He will be the front-runner going in, barring a major free agent signing or a high draft pick (both unlikely). The concern with him is that he gets surpassed during the preseason or the season itself. If he is the guy we have seen this year that won't happen but if he is a JAG it could happen like it did with Alex Collins this year.

8 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

He will be the front-runner going in, barring a major free agent signing or a high draft pick (both unlikely). The concern with him is that he gets surpassed during the preseason or the season itself. If he is the guy we have seen this year that won't happen but if he is a JAG it could happen like it did with Alex Collins this year.

Very fair and good point. I too think he will be the starter and if and while he is he will be an RB1, but he is on a short leash, thin ice, etc.

• Like 1

His value is greater as a hold than to sell based on blue sky. Still a lot of question marks remain moving forward that will prohibit an owner from receiving proper value in return for giving up Damien. No one will step up and pay the $ equal to what we are all hoping he is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

here's my very serious question......What more does Williams need to do to prove himself worthy of being the front runner for 2019? First he was a nobody that stood no chance of being relevant because of his time in Miami.......false. Next he was just a 3rd down back....false. After that he couldn't run between the tackles well enough.....false. Then it was that he wasn't talented enough to be a lead back.....false. Then he couldn't handle enough carries to be considered a horse.....false. 

He's 26. He's under a nice new contract for both sides. He possesses an every down skill set. He's clearly motivated to make a name for himself. He's plugged into the PERFECT system for a less than elite talent back (if you want to argue that's what he is). 

So again, what do YOU need to see to believe he could be an rb1 next year........just as he has been this year the moment he got his shot?

In all fairness, he wouldn't be the first come-out-of-nowhere RB to shine late in the season, only to become a turd the next season. People are absolutely within reason to be skeptical that this no-name guy will suddenly become an RB1. He sure looks the part right now, but we won't know for sure until 2019 and beyond. I'm one that has really wondered if Kareem Hunt was that good, or if he was simply a product of KC's system. I believe he is a talented RB, but seeing Damien makes me believe he was as much a product of the system as he was his own ability. This is the reason I don't think KC needs to go open up the checkbook for guys like Ingram or Bell. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace_King said:

9 hours ago, elroypedro said:

Very fair and good point. I too think he will be the starter and if and while he is he will be an RB1, but he is on a short leash, thin ice, etc.

17 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

In all fairness, he wouldn't be the first come-out-of-nowhere RB to shine late in the season, only to become a turd the next season. People are absolutely within reason to be skeptical that this no-name guy will suddenly become an RB1. He sure looks the part right now, but we won't know for sure until 2019 and beyond. I'm one that has really wondered if Kareem Hunt was that good, or if he was simply a product of KC's system. I believe he is a talented RB, but seeing Damien makes me believe he was as much a product of the system as he was his own ability. This is the reason I don't think KC needs to go open up the checkbook for guys like Ingram or Bell. 

I also understand and validate your points. To me the man difference between him and Collins was the contract extension. That speaks volumes. Collins was not extended and went into the season as a RFA. Knowing that the system produces the rb and not the other way around, I see next to no chance they are paying $4m a year to be a 2nd stringer. I’d almost guarantee they don’t bring in a FA. A draft pick possibly but not with high capital. I think his job is safer than you suspect on. The surface. With that said....yes...he could get “Pipped” by next year’s no name 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

I also understand and validate your points. To me the man difference between him and Collins was the contract extension. That speaks volumes. Collins was not extended and went into the season as a RFA. Knowing that the system produces the rb and not the other way around, I see next to no chance they are paying $4m a year to be a 2nd stringer. I’d almost guarantee they don’t bring in a FA. A draft pick possibly but not with high capital. I think his job is safer than you suspect on. The surface. With that said....yes...he could get “Pipped” by next year’s no name 

I absolutely agree...he's the guy next year, imho. They showed some faith in him with $4mil/year, but also hedged their bets a little with the two-year contract. It also helps him, too, if he does produce top-shelf RB numbers. Now, I do think they bring in someone via FA because I don't think they want to go into 2019 with Darrell Williams as their No2 back. I could be wrong, but Darrell just wasn't that good of a RB at LSU. He was solid and dependable as a SR (after he lost 10-15 pounds), but no one I'd look at as a legit No2 guy in the NFL. So imo, either they sign a FA or draft a RB to bring in as their No2 back. Or maybe they just re-sign Ware, which I honestly doubt. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

"... To me the main difference between him and Collins was the contract extension. That speaks volumes. Collins was not extended and went into the season as a RFA. Knowing that the system produces the rb and not the other way around, I see next to no chance they are paying $4m a year to be a 2nd stringer. I’d almost guarantee they don’t bring in a FA. A draft pick possibly but not with high capital. I think his job is safer than you suspect..."

You could be right, but I think your comparable is subjective. What the Ravens did or didn't do for Collins, that's a different team. A lot of people were high on Aaron Jones & proven right... If the Packer organization didn't recognize what they had in him, they certainly have for at least a month or so... are we to draw a similar conclusion there? I do think there's a comparable to consider, that being within the Chiefs front office. When Ware & West both proved capable, they were awarded extensions.

I like both Williams' & I could be wrong but I think they will add. I believe they will address replacing Hunt & move on from Ware as well. I do agree that it isn't something they have to throw a lot of money at. They could shop a guy, but if they don't land one, it wouldn't surprise me if they address the position by the 3rd RD & in a subsequent round.  

Odds that Darrel Williams' game takes a step up from his rookie season?

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

"Odds that Darrel Williams' game takes a step up from his rookie season?"

Excellent, I would think. Lacks explosive traits, which is why he was behind guys like Fournette & Guice. But consider the program/conference, he's built to take it & dish some out. He can be their system 'back, whether that happens, whether he becomes fantasy relevant is a different matter. Conversely, considering the body of work almost entirely from the collegiate level and the level of competition guys like Penny, Freeman & Jones were exposed to, they're potential post-learning-curve RBs. I suppose, but for me, Jones needs to be in their building, now!      

3 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Good points. For me it will come down to draft cost. If he is somehow going in the third round he is well worth the modest risk given the elite fantasy upside (higher than Collin's). If he is going in the late first/early second round then I will avoid him.

Edited by Ace_King

40 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Excellent, I would think. Lacks explosive traits, which is why he was behind guys like Fournette & Guice. But consider the program/conference, he's built to take it & dish some out. He can be their system 'back, whether that happens, whether he becomes fantasy relevant is a different matter. Conversely, considering the body of work almost entirely from the collegiate level and the level of competition guys like Penny, Freeman & Jones were exposed to, they're potential post-learning-curve RBs. I suppose, but for me, Jones needs to be in their building, now!      

Ware I believe will be a free-agent, if he does not come back one would expect a nice talent to be drafted or a significant FA pick-up.   *Even if Damien is atop the depth chart at the start of the season, the Chiefs will need to protect themselves against injury for 2019.  

• Like 1

He’s been a fantastic replacement for Hunt. They showed confidence in him by signing him to the extension. I’m targeting him everywhere next year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

He’s been a fantastic replacement for Hunt. They showed confidence in him by signing him to the extension. I’m targeting him everywhere next year 

What's the highest rd you're prepared to spend?

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

What's the highest rd you're prepared to spend?

If they invest a very late-round pick in a RB, I'm prepared to get him in the late 2nd / early 3rd. People may still sleep on him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

If they invest a very late-round pick in a RB, I'm prepared to get him in the late 2nd / early 3rd. People may still sleep on him.

Interesting & noted

1 hour ago, lvsaint429 said:

I see, so you're an only child and mum, she has 8 or 10 siblings, none of whom married or had any kids of their own.... Christmas rolls around and all 50 f'n gifts under the tree are for you... nice 

9 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I see, so you're an only child and mum, she has 8 or 10 siblings, none of whom married or had any kids of their own.... Christmas rolls around and all 50 f'n gifts under the tree are for you... nice 

Wut 

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Honestly, wut.

2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Image result for lebron james gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Say no to crack

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Long lost brother is that you????? If it is please respond to the following so I know for sure:

I enjoy spending time with the temporal rain forests' cheeses. There ain't enough room for the both of us. Tell the traffic pole to get out. Homework can be done faster and more efficiently than before if you own a neon green cat . If I wanted to eat rhino horn continuously which doctor would you recommend I ask to poo at? 

• Haha 2