Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

16 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

RBs don't get passed around like onion casserole at Thanksgiving and then magically turn into RB1s in Year 6. 

Priest Holmes...?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Whatever RB the Chiefs draft this year will be on my Fantasy team.  I do not believe in Damian Williams.  RBs don't get passed around like onion casserole at Thanksgiving and then magically turn into RB1s in Year 6. 

Prior to his 50 carries with KC, he never rushed for more than 3.8 yards per carry.  I think he's a lot closer to Chark West than Kareem Hunt.  

1) I guarantee it won't be DamiAn Williams......he flamed out of the league years ago as a WR, never learned to play the RB position and is now facing battery charges.

2) What is onion casserole? I love onions but it sounds gross and I take offense to it being mentioned in the same breath as Thanksgiving

3) IS ANYONE still caring what he did prior to his domination in KC? Anyone at all? 

Edited by Joe Odam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Odam said:

1) I guarantee it won't be DamiAn Williams......he flamed out of the league years ago as a WR, never learned to play the RB position and is now facing battery charges.

2) What is onion casserole? I love onions but it sounds gross and I take offense to it being mentioned in the same breath as Thanksgiving

3) IS ANYONE still caring what he did prior to his domination in KC? Anyone at all? 

hahaha, I agree man, but I don't do the cooking.

People should care what he did prior to KC, because the 4 year sample size of mediocrity is the vast majority of his career.  A lot of replacement backs have had a nice 4 or 5 game stretch, after a quiet career, then are never heard from again.  Tim Hightower being the latest example.  Jerome Harrison is another.

6 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

hahaha, I agree man, but I don't do the cooking.

People should care what he did prior to KC, because the 4 year sample size of mediocrity is the vast majority of his career.  A lot of replacement backs have had a nice 4 or 5 game stretch, after a quiet career, then are never heard from again.  Tim Hightower being the latest example.  Jerome Harrison is another.

I'd argue that his sample size is so small and inconsistent that it's nearly irrelevant. This is an "eye test" deal. I'd be willing to endorse your sentiments if in fact he was previously a starter but he's never been given that chance. You essentially have to throw out the stats. If you examine his ABILITY it's that of a starter. Sometimes it just takes a while for that to surface when there are only 32 of these jobs available in the entire world. Even less of them if you include the starters that are trapped on horrible teams with horrible coaching. When you watch any of his film whether now or in the past he shows all the tools. Elite talent? Nah, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Sufficient talent with the best opportunity in the entire NFL. YES PLEASE

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

A lot of replacement backs have had a nice 4 or 5 game stretch, after a quiet career, then are never heard from again.  Tim Hightower being the latest example.

How dare you use Big Time Tim Hightower's name with anything but a strong positive connotation.

40 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

"Whatever RB the Chiefs draft this year will be on my Fantasy team. I do not believe in Damien Williams. RBs don't get passed around like onion casserole at Thanksgiving and then magically turn into RB1s in Year 6. Prior to his 50 carries with KC, he never rushed for more than 3.8 yards per carry. I think he's a lot closer to Chark West than Kareem Hunt. ... hopefully KC waits until round 3 or 4 for an RB so his ADP is suppressed."

This is one of those conversations where both sides make good points. If memory serves, not that long ago this backfield was a committee & Hunt emerged with the hot hand. Prior to that, when Charles got hurt, both West & Ware had earned playing time, regardless of circumstance. Which would tend to lend itself to your point that just because Hunt dominated touches, there's no guarantee that Williams will. Also, he took on the lead role pretty late, it was him with fresh legs. That is not an advantage he'll have week one.    

13 hours ago, BMcP said:

It means “nota bene” - “note well.”

I’d recommend giving this a read: it will shed a lot of light on the obstacles - and tough decisions - he made every step of the way, going back to high school - it may influence your opinion of him and what he can accomplish. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article224251165.html

Opinion not influenced. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Whatever RB the Chiefs draft this year will be on my Fantasy team.  I do not believe in Damian Williams.  RBs don't get passed around like onion casserole at Thanksgiving and then magically turn into RB1s in Year 6. 

Prior to his 50 carries with KC, he never rushed for more than 3.8 yards per carry.  I think he's a lot closer to Chark West than Kareem Hunt.  

Just one mans opinion, hopefully KC waits until round 3 or 4 for an RB so his ADP is suppressed.

Passed around? This is his second team. You make it sound like he's a journeyman on his 4th or 5th team in his five seasons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

If memory serves, not that long ago this backfield was a committee & Hunt emerged with the hot hand

It serves incorrectly.  Hunt was drafted and set to takeover the lead, but then Ware got hurt in the preseason and ended any chance at a committee.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Passed around? This is his second team. You make it sound like he's a journeyman on his 4th or 5th team in his five seasons. 

32 coaches decided he wasn't worth drafting, and 3 different Miami Dolphin coaches decided he wasn't worth giving a workload to.  He saw 6 touches this season prior to the Kareen Hunt situation, and even then, was the backup to journeyman Spencer Ware.  Passed over is probably more appropriate, than passed around, which was what I was trying to get at with my Onion casserole analogy.

People are mistaking his fantasy success in the last 3 games for ability.  He's rushed for 60 yards or more twice in 5 seasons, including his late season run with KC.  We have no idea if he can even handle any substantial workload if his productivity warranted it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

"It serves incorrectly. Hunt was drafted and set to takeover the lead, but then Ware got hurt in the preseason and ended any chance at a committee."

Okay, but wasn't Hunt like a mid-to-late RD pick in fantasy drafts? You yourself suggest that it was shaping up as a committee...

5 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Okay, but wasn't Hunt like a mid-to-late RD pick in fantasy drafts? You yourself suggest that it was shaping up as a committee...

Not after the Ware injury. He was going in the early rounds by the time week 1 rolled around. I can't remember if he was pushed up into the 2nd or not.

13 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

After Ware went down, he was like a 2nd rounder.  However, some drafts had already finished before the injury and many people were able to get him at an extreme bargain in the 8-10th.

• Like 1

Always fun to speculate and talk early rankings with FF but with this guy, we really have not clue until we see what KC does in FA and then the draft.  Obviously if they don't sign or draft anyone of major significance, then game on for Damien in 2019 and a clear top 10 RB that won't last past the 2nd round.

11 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Always fun to speculate and talk early rankings with FF but with this guy, we really have not clue until we see what KC does in FA and then the draft.  Obviously if they don't sign or draft anyone of major significance, then game on for Damien in 2019 and a clear top 10 RB that won't last past the 2nd round.

If I had 100 Fantasy teams, he'd be on 0 in that scenario.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

7 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

So if KC doesn't spend money on another FA or spend significant capital on another RB, you don't think the KC starting/workhorse RB (who has proven that he can produce big stats for fantasy when given the opportunity) is worthy of being taken before the end of the 2nd rd?? Totally disagree but like I said, we'll see what KC does this offseason.

14 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Who's taking his job?  4.72 40 Darrel Williams?

3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Who's taking his job?  4.72 40 Darrel Williams?

Little early to say he has the job locked down in 2019. Chiefs might draft the next starter. Or sign a FA.

Just now, devaster said:

Little early to say he has the job locked down in 2019. Chiefs might draft the next starter. Or sign a FA.

@J.T. Marlin literally just said if they don't bring in a significant FA or spend high draft capital on a RB.  Obviously, this is the absolute ideal scenario for him.  But if that happens, you better believe he's a second rounder at worst in redraft.

1 hour ago, J.T. Marlin said:

So if KC doesn't spend money on another FA or spend significant capital on another RB, you don't think the KC starting/workhorse RB (who has proven that he can produce big stats for fantasy when given the opportunity) is worthy of being taken before the end of the 2nd rd?? Totally disagree but like I said, we'll see what KC does this offseason.

First off, they need at least 4 backs on the roster, so they aren't just going to have Williams and whatever other jabronis are currently on the active roster as the only guys at RB next year after a full offseason.  Even if by some miracle or tragedy they did, and they leaned on him like Kareem Hunt, he'd either hit a wall or be hurt by week 6.  Taking Damien Williams with a top 2 pick is amateur hour.  I'm ok with people disagreeing with me, I actually hope that everyone does, because if I'm correct it'd be one additional player available to me when it's my turn to pick and the team that selects him will have an uphill battle with a whammy at pick 2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Williams is a guy you have to 'cuff, imo. 

Already that's hard to do unless you want to spend three picks on that, and I expect it to be harder in a couple months.

Honest question: who would you cuff him with? 

19 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

he'd either hit a wall or be hurt by week 6. 

Based on what, exactly?

3 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

32 coaches decided he wasn't worth drafting, and 3 different Miami Dolphin coaches decided he wasn't worth giving a workload to.  He saw 6 touches this season prior to the Kareen Hunt situation, and even then, was the backup to journeyman Spencer Ware.  Passed over is probably more appropriate, than passed around, which was what I was trying to get at with my Onion casserole analogy.

People are mistaking his fantasy success in the last 3 games for ability.  He's rushed for 60 yards or more twice in 5 seasons, including his late season run with KC.  We have no idea if he can even handle any substantial workload if his productivity warranted it.

Pop quiz: do you even know why he wasn’t drafted? It seems you are under the impression it was in some way talent related. 

I’ll provide you the answer thus making this an open book quiz.

he wasn’t drafted because he was kicked off the team at OU. He had major red flags/character concerns. It had ZERO to do with ability 

19 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Pop quiz: do you even know why he wasn’t drafted? It seems you are under the impression it was in some way talent related. 

I’ll provide you the answer thus making this an open book quiz.

he wasn’t drafted because he was kicked off the team at OU. He had major red flags/character concerns. It had ZERO to do with ability 

I understand he was dismissed for "multiple team rule violations", probably drug related? That was in 2013, and since then I don't think there was any concern.

However, since then between 2014 and 2018 he had less than 300 touches in total. Don't tell me all that was still over a couple joints in College?